PDA

View Full Version : Help W/ Jetting

cantcatchme
06-25-2004, 09:59 AM
i need help!!

Im jetting my little sisters quad and i put in a 96 main jet (dynojet) and i put the needle on the 5th clip (bottom). I also turned the pilot jet out a few turns (i think 2 and a half). I also turned the air/fuel mixture screw out around 2 and a half turns.

her mods are : pro circuit slip on, k&n filter, lid on.

when you hit the throttle from an idle, it seems to want to cut off (clears up after more throttle), it is popping on decelleration loudly (only loud when i give it a lot of throttle then let off) , and it skips (near 1/4 throttle)

can anyone help me?

400ex28
06-25-2004, 02:36 PM
What kinda quad is it??

cals400ex
06-25-2004, 06:10 PM
first off, the pilot jet should go all the way in too lightly seated. the fuel screw may suppose to be out 2 or 3 turns. don't you have the directions to the kit?

Aallron
06-25-2004, 07:20 PM
It appears from your post that you changed everything at once (exhaust, jets, clip position etc.)
My suggestion is

1. A NEW plug - to get accurate readings.
2. Put the needle clip in the middle of its range.
3. Air screw / mixture screw gently close till is bottoms then out 1 - 1/2 turns.
4. Warm it up... set the idle speed ... dont go see how fast it will go.
5. Start off slowly in 1st and see if it will take throttle... gradually increase the throttle to full to see if it hesitates. If it hesitates note the throttle position... 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. not rpm.

each position of hesitation is an indicator of where to start to make adjustments.

Check plug color often and only make ONE change at a time, test, make a change, retest etc.

By design, the taper of the pilot / mixture screws have an effective range of maximum of 3 turns out from seated. Anything more that 3 turns out you are just fooling your self into thinking that you are actually doing something - put in the next largest size jet, reset to 1 - 1/2 from seated and start again.

Yes it is a pain in the rear and time consuming, but so is putting in new hard parts because you tried to skip a step or 2.

cantcatchme
06-25-2004, 09:02 PM
its my little sisters 250ex. ok thx for all ur comments.. ill try again :)