PDA

View Full Version : Running Excessively Lean??

Wayne64SS
06-25-2004, 07:34 AM
I PULLED MY PLUG TO REPLACE IT FOR A MISS AND IT WAS TOTALLY WHITE. I KNOW THIS IS FROM RUNNING LEAN BUT THIS THING IS BRAND NEW???!!! MY QUESTION IS WILL ADJUSTING THE AIR FUEL SCREW HELP OR DO I NEED A REJET. SECONDLY WHERE IS THE AIR FUEL SCREW AND IS IT EASY TO ADJUST?? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

OH YEA THEY SAID THEY'D REPLACE MY FENDER ASAP

Motoman440
06-25-2004, 07:55 AM
The air / fuel mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb. If you have not changed the pipe and filter then ya don't need to rejet the bike. If I remember right I think the air / fuel mixture screw comes stock 1 1/2 turns out. Try that first and if its still to lean screw it in a little to shut off some of the air flow. May want to check with your dealer first though. Sometimes my memory ain't the greatest. ;)

Wayne64SS
06-25-2004, 08:17 AM
so i turn it in to richen it or does that lean it out more? so lost carbs r gay cant they put multiport in these???

Motoman440
06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Wayne64SS
so i turn it in to richen it or does that lean it out more? so lost carbs r gay cant they put multiport in these???

I would try the stock setting first since you have not changed anything on the bike. Screw it all the way in then come out 1 1/2 turns. If that don't work then screw it in 1/2 or 1/4 turn. Yes, turning it in will richen the mixture. I put an HMF full system on mine and with a closed airbox I went from a 118 main jet to a 125 main jet and had to screw the air / fuel mixture out 1 turn for a total of 2 1/2 turns out. The larger jet puts more fuel to the bike so it needed leaned out with more air. That is why I am saying turn it in to richen it. Good luck and be careful when making these adjustments.

speedfreaksguy
06-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Its not uncommon for a new bike with no mods to need rejetted. Altitude and temperature changes affect the jetting and Honda doesen't rejet every bike to compensate. With that being said, its also difficult to read a spark plug if you don't know what your doing. I wouldn't assume its lean just based on the plug. Does your pipe glow red when it sits and idles for a while? Do you feel a loss of power anywhere in the rpm range. Usually I find the stock jetting to run a little rich. You don't want to run it too lean , but you might want to check other things before changing the carb settings.

Wayne64SS
06-25-2004, 09:58 AM
YEA I WILL DO IT SLOWLY AND IN INCRIMENTS. START WITH 1/4 TURN EACH TIME AND THEN RUN THE BIKE HARD THROUGH AT LEAST THE FIRST 2 GEARS A FEW TIMES RIGHT? THEN PULL PLUG AND CHECK?!?!?

Wayne64SS
06-25-2004, 11:18 AM
BUMP

RedRaider
06-25-2004, 11:19 AM
I thought turning it out made it richer? Unless i'm looking at the wrong screw but isn't is in front of the carb? If it was behind the carb then turing it in would make it richer.