PDA

View Full Version : HELP with 250x

stonerider250x
06-24-2004, 07:31 PM
there is somthing wrong with my quad and i cant figure it out. it would crank and idle ok but when i gas'd it, it would bog down and wouldn't rev high but it would not cut off unless i let it sit and idle then it cut off. i drained my gas and carb and put new gas in it and it didnt help i also cleaned my carb, spark plug and air filter still wouldnt run right but would crank up on the first kick. it has good compression, good spark, and is suckin air fine, and i am positive it is gettin gas to the motor. but now it has stopped crankin still has good compression and all but wont crank. this is makin me think it is somthin electrical like the cdi box or coil. i noticed that is blowin air back out the filter. im pretty sure its not supposed to so that makes me think one of the intake valves is burnt or is stickin but if it was that it wouldnt have good compression.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks in advanced

400ex men
06-24-2004, 08:24 PM
it may be the carb

stonerider250x
06-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 400ex men
it may be the carb

what do u mean its the carb?? is there somthing that could be wrong with it that we didnt see when we took it apart and cleaned it?

400ex men
06-24-2004, 08:32 PM
the jet may be to big:)

stonerider250x
06-24-2004, 08:57 PM
im sure its not because i have been running that jetting for several months and in several races and its been fine

i might still check it out and put a smaller jet in just to make sure

thanks,
jarret:)

QuAdEr 317
06-24-2004, 10:31 PM
it could be the ac stator...same thing happened to mine

stonerider250x
06-24-2004, 11:32 PM
its happened to mine before to and we replaced it about a year ago so i dont think its that......thanks for the input tho

TCracin440ex
06-25-2004, 10:11 AM
ive had a 1992 250x and exp. the same problem....its the on/off switch is bad...i dunno how that sounds...but i my handlebar kill swtich off and cut all the wires in it...and cranked it up...and it ran fine...250x's are weird quads anyways

Cody_300ex
06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
One of the jets could have fell out???:confused:

stonerider250x
06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
One of the jets could have fell out???:confused:

wouldnt i have seen that when i took the carb apart and cleaned it?

Originally posted by TCracin440ex
ive had a 1992 250x and exp. the same problem....its the on/off switch is bad...i dunno how that sounds...but i my handlebar kill swtich off and cut all the wires in it...and cranked it up...and it ran fine...250x's are weird quads anyways

did you just cut all the wires and didnt connect any back together?

Aallron
06-25-2004, 07:37 PM
1. Is the battery in good shape?
2. If so, will it turn over with the spark plug out?
3. Check for oil/water/crap inside the magneto area.
4. Is the exhaust fully/partially plugged. Take the core out and look.

TCracin440ex
06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
this bike aint electric start....250x's are really wierd bikes anyways...every x ive seen was totally junk...bad honda design i guess...but ive seen 87 thru 1992...and every 1 ive seen was nothin but wasted

my opinion is u cant expect a 10 year old or older motor to run like new...

try having the valves adjusted, and see if its doing it still...if its blowing back thru the carb and the air filter...after you have had the valves adjusted then the valves are not sealing correctly...

if thats not the case then its def. electrical...but man dont get down thinkin its only your bike...

i had more problems with my 250x than what it was worth...finnally 1 day i was ridding thru the woods and the valves fell and fugged the piston up and the stock head

bought another head/valves for it, had it rebuilt, get it back home and the damn rocker arms are toast, bought a new set of rocker arms and had them put in valves adjusted, carb cleaned, gas tank cleaned up...get it back home....im sure this corrected the problem by this time i had went out and bought brand new 400ex....so what i was trying to do is get the thing running right to get it sold and get some money out of it....rode it for a while and the coil went bad...after the coil went bad we jacked a coil off our recon and hooked it up and it fired fine...what i forgot is i had dropped the tip of the sparkplug down into the motor....we took apart the topend and find a piece of metal in the motor from the previous rocker arms that broke, and also found the little piece of sparkplug....well we look at the head and the head is toast once again....so by this time i said fugg it.....and parted it out....250x's are the worst bikes honda made bottom line

stonerider250x
06-26-2004, 03:24 PM
this bike aint electric start....250x's are really wierd bikes anyways...every x ive seen was totally junk...bad honda design i guess...but ive seen 87 thru 1992...and every 1 ive seen was nothin but wasted

try having the valves adjusted, and see if its doing it still...if its blowing back thru the carb and the air filter...after you have had the valves adjusted then the valves are not sealing correctly...

if thats not the case then its def. electrical...but man dont get down thinkin its only your bike...

i had more problems with my 250x than what it was worth...finnally 1 day i was ridding thru the woods and the valves fell and fugged the piston up and the stock head

bought another head/valves for it, had it rebuilt, get it back home and the damn rocker arms are toast, bought a new set of rocker arms and had them put in valves adjusted, carb cleaned, gas tank cleaned up...get it back home....im sure this corrected the problem by this time i had went out and bought brand new 400ex....so what i was trying to do is get the thing running right to get it sold and get some money out of it....rode it for a while and the coil went bad...after the coil went bad we jacked a coil off our recon and hooked it up and it fired fine...what i forgot is i had dropped the tip of the sparkplug down into the motor....we took apart the topend and find a piece of metal in the motor from the previous rocker arms that broke, and also found the little piece of sparkplug....well we look at the head and the head is toast once again....so by this time i said fugg it.....and parted it out....250x's are the worst bikes honda made bottom line

i found out it skipped timing but i cant blame that on the bike cause u cant exspect stock motor parts to hold up very long on mx where its wide open all the time. i havent had that many probs with my 250x. but just about any bike is goin to break if ur racin mx on a regular basis

ghak99
06-26-2004, 03:34 PM

lmao...your reasoning behind why 250x's are completly junk almost made me fall out of my chair laughing.

How do you forget you dropped something in your motor???:confused:

I have no complaints about my X at all!

TCracin440ex
06-26-2004, 11:46 PM
im talking about the tip of the spark plug that unscrews off....and i unscrewed the tip of it off...and then w/o knowing my buddy took the plug out before i could get the tip out..

most 250x's ive seen arround here were junk...but thats because no 1 has really taken care of them....and i didnt expect an 87-92 model bike to run like a brand new quad

Florida400EX
06-27-2004, 12:15 AM
ehhhh, if you treat a quad good, and maitnence it, it should always run like new....

stonerider250x
06-27-2004, 12:26 AM
im talking about the tip of the spark plug that unscrews off....and i unscrewed the tip of it off...and then w/o knowing my buddy took the plug out before i could get the tip out..

most 250x's ive seen arround here were junk...but thats because no 1 has really taken care of them....and i didnt expect an 87-92 model bike to run like a brand new quad

just cuz the ones you have seen are junk dont mean all of them are. look at roostin_dales thats a really nice quad. i think mine is great but as far as an old motor goes thats why they make the motor where you can take em apart and rebuild em.:eek2: :rolleyes:

XCredrider
06-28-2004, 04:00 AM
TC440ex...any 10 year old motor can run like new. Mine starts up first kick, It doesnt matter what you do to it. It runs with any 400 too. I bought my 250x used and it was junk. Now it is one of the nicest in Indiana. But i spend all my time on my quad.;)

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 05:15 AM
yea but my 250x i couldnt spend time and money on it to hook it up and make it look good because every time i turned arround she was eating clutches for dinner, and axle bearings for breakfast....so me bein only about 13-15 years old and no job at the time...i really had no income to fix it and hook it up at the same time

XCredrider
06-28-2004, 06:19 AM
i am 15 also. i just sell everything else to buy parts.:D

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 09:19 AM
im not 15 now...i had the 250x back when i was 15....and my mom didnt buy none of my parts....i was waiting for some 1 to hand that bs to me..."but im 15 and i have a 250x thats hooked up and i dont have a job" yep mommie and daddy paid for it

i dont care if u use the excuse i had A's on my report card...my reply to that 1 would be...i got A's on my report card too...and only thing i got is a pat on the back....no quad or truck parts

not bashing you Xcredrider because u sell stuff to buy parts....but i was going to go ahead and post that reply on this thread anyways before it got outta some 1's mouth

lets face it....some memebers on this forum are spoiled

Florida400EX
06-28-2004, 11:35 AM
im not 15 now...i had the 250x back when i was 15....and my mom didnt buy none of my parts....i was waiting for some 1 to hand that bs to me..."but im 15 and i have a 250x thats hooked up and i dont have a job" yep mommie and daddy paid for it

i dont care if u use the excuse i had A's on my report card...my reply to that 1 would be...i got A's on my report card too...and only thing i got is a pat on the back....no quad or truck parts

not bashing you Xcredrider because u sell stuff to buy parts....but i was going to go ahead and post that reply on this thread anyways before it got outta some 1's mouth

OR have parents that support their racing. Nothing wrong with that.

Out_Sider
06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by stonerider250x
just cuz the ones you have seen are junk dont mean all of them are. look at roostin_dales thats a really nice quad. i think mine is great but as far as an old motor goes thats why they make the motor where you can take em apart and rebuild em.:eek2: :rolleyes:

look at roostin's quad also.. he's had to have motor work done, and it still has had problems ;)

the 250x/ 300ex's are just money pits if you want to race them, they simply don't hold up. so quitcha ******ing and recognize.. these things arent the best built quads. we both race our's only because we're not old enough to have any other quad, i'd much rather of had a blaster, but my dad wanted a four stroke and a Honda. So i got what i have an have no complaints. but when i turn 16, you can bet your momma's sweet *** that i wont be on this 300ex

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 01:54 PM
AMEN to that 1 Outsider...they are alright quads if you work with them but for stock bikes...they suck....bottom line...they are an old antique design...i had every problem available with my 250x..from clutches, to topend, to rockers, to bearings....u name it...ive had problems with it

stonerider250x
06-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
look at roostin's quad also.. he's had to have motor work done, and it still has had problems ;)

the 250x/ 300ex's are just money pits if you want to race them, they simply don't hold up. so quitcha ******ing and recognize.. these things arent the best built quads. we both race our's only because we're not old enough to have any other quad, i'd much rather of had a blaster, but my dad wanted a four stroke and a Honda. So i got what i have an have no complaints. but when i turn 16, you can bet your momma's sweet *** that i wont be on this 300ex

idk who u been talkin to but it must not be me cuz nothin has broke on it since i started racin. the only thing that has broke on it in over a year happened when we were riden it at my house. so quit YOUR *****in.
:rolleyes:

stonerider250x
06-28-2004, 04:41 PM

im 13......ive bought just about all the parts on my quad. ihave worked as much as i can the past two summers to get it all but i did. yea some pll on this site are spoiled they sit back and do nuthin while their parents buy the everything. but i am not one of them. so if my quad broke all the time like u say ALL 250x's do i would not have it. so you cant compare othe peaoples quads to yours cuz no two quads are alike.

Out_Sider
06-28-2004, 04:42 PM
gastank mounts on yours, my whole tank cracked.. these are things that shouldn't happen on a quad.. the idea of a metal gastank is just stupid to begin with. i never even announced your name in the whole post.. so wtf are you doing tryin to jump my chit. and if you want to really get into it, your frame cracked. now granted that can happen on any quad, but you've had problems, and im sure everyone has had problems with these quads

stonerider250x
06-28-2004, 04:45 PM
gastank mounts on yours, my whole tank cracked.. these are things that shouldn't happen on a quad.. the idea of a metal gastank is just stupid to begin with. i never even announced your name in the whole post.. so wtf are you doing tryin to jump my chit. and if you want to really get into it, your frame cracked. now granted that can happen on any quad, but you've had problems, and im sure everyone has had problems with these quads

read ur post u quoted me...duh:rolleyes: the gas tank mout breakin was my fault. and the frame crakin well read what i said earlier in the forum...ANY QUAD WILL BREAK WHEN RODE HARD ON AN MX TRACK ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Out_Sider
06-28-2004, 04:52 PM
w/e, idc

4wheelboy
06-28-2004, 06:35 PM
w/e, idc

wow u guys sound like girls fighting. if u ride a quad hard chit breaks big deal u fix it and keep racing. my friends 20,000$ jrd chassis 426 powered quad with axis an all that breaks down more then mine dose. breaks a head stay overheats, seized, clutches ect . but o well it can be fixed:rolleyes:
look at yfzs a local racers keeps like 5 stators in his trailer because evry 1and a half motos his starts breaking up and goes bad:o

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 06:43 PM
ok..this is time for James's final thought.....the 250x/300ex are good bikes WHEN MODDED...they are not really made to handle big jumps and stuff like that from the factory.....and never did i call ALL 250x's heaps....i said ALL the 250x's ive ever seen were totally trashed...and thats because they were stock bikes with stock bore or something to that nature....my 250x plain out sucked...every time i would get something fixed...id ride it for a few days...and guess what...what do ya kno...some other shyt is broken...

this is why i kinda hold a gruge agaist 250x's because i put 3 clutches in my bike 3 sets of bearings, new inner clutch hub, a new topend, new rockers, new head, and what do ya kno..the coil went bad and the electrical went bad...so the 250x never really got to see any aftermarket parts because i had to spend all my money on keeping fixed...

and as i recall some 1 on here said a 250x would keep up with a 400....YEA RIGHT....my friend had an 87 250x been bored out, ported and polished, and a cam....that sum bioch wouldnt hold a candle to a BONE STOCK 400ex.

stonerider250x
06-28-2004, 07:01 PM
sounds like u had a lemon:p but as far as beatin a 400...no way i might be able to hang with one when i get my motor built but i kno i wont beat one. sorry bout *****in at you but i hate when pll say a quad is has a bad design just cuz theirs was bad. but i think if mine was like yours iw ould prolly think the smae thing myself

XCredrider
06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
TC440ex.. I dont get spoiled buy anyone. The only thing I get is my mom takes me to the races because I cant drive. I dont get **** for my good grades either except a "good job". And when i say my 250 keeps up with 400s I mean in the woods. I dont give a **** what goes on anywhere else. Here are the race results from a local XC race.
name bike 3/28 current points
M Rowell 300ex 1 20
M Johanningman 450r 2 19
W Tharp 400ex 7 14
S Johnson 450r 8 15
T Zupancic 400ex 4 17
J Stuckwich yfz450 3 18
That is just some of the quads he beat on a 300ex which is really no different than a 250x.

DTRAIN
07-01-2004, 05:55 AM
TCracin440ex, you are dumb, and you have a small pp

TCracin440ex
07-01-2004, 09:41 AM
dtrain how bout you hop on it....and furthermore for the 300ex and 400ex thing.....the woods evens the playing fields....u never once stated a 300ex/250x will beat a 400ex in a drag race, or on te mx track...

stonerider250x
07-01-2004, 11:08 AM
dtrain how bout you hop on it....and furthermore for the 300ex and 400ex thing.....the woods evens the playing fields....u never once stated a 300ex/250x will beat a 400ex in a drag race, or on te mx track...

a 250x will beat a 400ex on a mx track if the rider on the X is better than the rider on the 400.:macho

TCracin440ex
07-01-2004, 11:18 AM
that is true in any case...u put a punanny on a banshee, and dude with big balls on a 400ex and put them both on a mx track...the dude on a 400ex will win

and vice versa

its 98% rider 12% quad i believe

DTRAIN
07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
TCracin440ex , you say its 98%rider, and 12% quad...isn't that 110%? You cannot have more than 100% dumb*ss. Oh yeah, I would whoop you in a race driving in reverse under an circumstances!!

TCracin440ex
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
i ment 88% you prick

but...since i made a mistake..and put 98...well i guess 110% is better than 100%...

yea of course ud beat me in driving in reverse polock....my quad doesnt have reverse u putz...fugg off newbie...if u think you got skills bring it to birch creek motorsports and we can see what youve got on the mx track

TCracin440ex
07-01-2004, 12:21 PM
o yea and btw u started the shyt not me...i didnt ask u to coem over here running your mouth...was stating my opinion...and u took it seriously because i said soemthing about your beloved 250x...grow up bro...until you have seen me ride...dont say u can beat me...

so there fore i aint posting no more replys on this thread due to lack of maturity

DTRAIN
07-02-2004, 04:55 AM
TCracin440ex, My beloved quad is my Kawi p650, the 250x is just my occassional mistress. I know yur 400 does not have reverse there poncho, that was a joke. And I am a newbie? I have been here since December 2001, you registered in 2003. I think yur the one who is a little wet behind the ears. Birch crik is too far, but rausch crik is not, so keep me in mind if ya make the journey up north. And remember, if life deals you a lemon, make Lynchburg Lemonaide...Peace out cub scout!

EvilJester400EX
07-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by DTRAIN
And remember, if life deals you a lemon, make Lynchburg Lemonaide...Peace out cub scout!

LMAO, the best advice in this entire thread. :p