PDA

View Full Version : New to this need help.

handsomejon
06-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I've been riding bikes for a whiile.I just got a brand new 03 400ex
I wanna run it in some hair scrambles and try to do some gncc's,But I dont know where to start on set up.The bike is bone stock.

muff
06-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Heres what I would suggest:

-rear and belly skidplate (prm)
-bumper (ac or prm)
-nerfs +tether switch (you have to have the tether)
-aftermarket suspension (elka)

all depends on how much you want to spend :devil:

IL400EX
06-24-2004, 02:47 PM
take your headlights out and put a hood on. Even if you cover up the lenses, the mounting system doesn't take the beating. You say its an '03, you may need tires. I run 20's but many people run 22's for the added ground clearance.

oh and start excercising. racing is a lot of work

ReconRider25
06-24-2004, 07:29 PM
get nerfs and a tether kill switch, then if u got the money get some skids and tires. also handguards help alot in the woods.

240GNCC400
06-27-2004, 09:45 PM
first thing to get is tires. get 20 inch rears and 21 or 22 inch fronts. (i run 22 fronts) go with either ITP holeshot HD or maxxis razr 2.

next get a PRM swing arm skid

after that a slip on silencer wouldnt hurt unless you plan on runnning stock.

shocks make a HUGE difference.

if you want to do some engine work an 11-1 piston and a cam will give you a little more power without costing too much.

all depends how much you wanna spend.

TC426EX
06-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Bottom line on a new EX for GNCC... FIRST is skids, bumper, Nerf bars and tether. Then get some tires, (Razr 2's) 20" rear, 21" front. For initial motor mods, youll need to get a good slip on silencer like an HMF and a new air filter (K+N) and re jet accordingly. Get suspension BEFORE doing any serious mods to your motor. If you cant put the power to the ground it is useless. I would say all the above mods are mandatory besides the suspension and motor work at first, before you race it. You wont believe how much difference a slip on and filter will make to start out with. Oh yeah, youll also want to get a TC or GT Thunder CDI box too to keep those revs up along the line too. Unfortunately, racing is as much a spending competition as it is a riding competition so be ready to shell out some dough to race. Aside from all the performance mods, you have to also deal with broken parts, Entry Fees, etc... To save money, look for used parts on Ebay and in the For Sale section of this forum. You can find great deals on all the above listed parts and really cut the cost of building your bike down significantly...