PDA

View Full Version : no spark....

Westro
06-24-2004, 05:47 AM
My R has No spark....

Once and awhile I get a pop and it will run like crap. I am thinking coil, who makes a decent after market coil? Or when the coil goes out does it just completely die?

I have a race wiring setup with a Ricky Stator and lightened Flywheel FYI.

Thanks
-Marc

dinovaz
06-24-2004, 09:55 PM
The 250r's CDI box has a tendancey to go to sleep. Mine used to have no spark. I could kick it forever. I'd pull start it and it would run fine all weekend. Try a new CDI box. Make sure to get an 88-89 one, it has a better power curve.

Westro
06-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Hummm..

Something is up because I have no spark but once and awhile when I have the plug in and I am kicking it over it will pop. And yesterday I did get it to run but ran like poop for only 10 seconds or so.

So is there an after market CDI available?

-Marc

dinovaz
06-25-2004, 08:19 AM
I think there is an aftermarket, but I just use the stock one. They are about $100 mail order..........

Westro
06-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Where are you mail ordering them out of?

I was looking and MSD makes a CDI, does anyone run one. I would think that a 12V system would be better but? Also with the MSD can I simply use my adjustable timing plate instead of shaving my flywheel?

http://www.factorydirectperformance.com/atv3.htm

07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Sounds to me like you need a new spark plug in it. If you really want to try a new CDI, I have one still in the OEM Honda wrapper for $60 shipped. If your Stator is bad you won't ever get any spark at all. This is because there will be a break in the windings or bad resistance. I take money orders and paypal if you want the CDI, but I would try a plug first.

Westro
07-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Of course I did replace the plug.

It ended up being an intermittent short in the stator wire of all things.

900rracer
07-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Before you go buying a CDI check the flywheel key and see if it is slipping. I stripped one out once and it would run briefly and backfire and quit. I checked the flywheel key and it was stripped. I thing they are like a dollar or something.

Westro
07-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Been there done that with a slipped woodruf (?) key.