PDA

View Full Version : If there is still confusion about 450R jetting with SA out, and a cut airbox lid.

sparky450AR
06-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Last weekend I jetted my bike, and I jetted it right. We had a drag strip to take em' all the way out on. I also figured out why all this confusion about jetting is present. It's because everything from a 160 to a 180 will work without any popping or backfires. 450R jetting really befuddles me. Jetting the 416 with my dad was much different. It was much more sensitive to each jet size.

When I had the 180 jet in, the bike ran good. I was surprised by this, opening up the airbox jumped the jet size 62 sizes! and it still ran. I've never seen a change this dramatic on any other bike, unless switching to alcohol, lol.

I came back to the truck and figured I would throw in a 160, so I did. And it still ran decent, all the way to fifth without a miss. At this point i was like :huh . I noticed a loss of torque in the bike, and GT Thunders website said there would be loss of torque in a lean bike.

I went back and figured I would go in between the two sizes that worked. I went to a 170. I took it out and thought WOW. I really felt a power gain. I left it at a 170 and was very happy with it! I have my airbox lid cut like the HRC....so if you are running no airbox lid, you might want to go a size or two fatter. I would try a 172.

I live in greenwood Indiana, and the 170 jet worked VERY well for me. You could kinda tell 180 was too fat, thats why i went down to 160. But with the 170 in it, it ran perfect, tons of torque.

The stock pipe also sounds exceptionally good with the SA out. It kind of reminds me of what the stock dirtbike sounds like. Here is a movie of me almost flipping it. Turn your sound on to hear the pipe.

Username: mv@insightbb.com
Password: cannon

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/cimg1632.avi

Here is a decent wheelie.

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/cimg1628.avi

I hope this thread helps out a few people.

sparky450AR
06-25-2004, 10:10 AM
bump

ZRider400
06-25-2004, 10:50 AM
thanks for the info.... i too wanted to remove the lid on mine and get an end cap for it off ebay.

now that i know what jets to get/try.....i'll do it.:)

did you ever do any plug chops, to make sure it was "perfect" ?

ZRider400
06-25-2004, 07:37 PM
alright well after reading this post.....i went in garage and removed lid , s/a and rejetted......

going to try it out this weekend... i cant wait:devil:

AlaskaSpeed
06-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Besides going bigger on your mainjet, did you change clip on needle, change pilot or mixture screw?

sparky450AR
06-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Besides going bigger on your mainjet, did you change clip on needle, change pilot or mixture screw?

No sir!, this surprised me. But someone else on here said the main jet is all you need to mess with, so I put in a 170 and was done with it. I dont think I could've got it running any better.

Does HMF reccomend you changing the clip, pilot, or air mixture when putting on there pipes?

No, I did not do plug runs, i have an extra plug, maybe ill try one next weekend.

450R_lover
06-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I've got the 2-inch exhaust insert off of ebay and im running a 180 main and 50 pilot with the airbox lid cut like the hrc lid and it runs perfect. I didnt have to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw either. I live in southern Indiana.
thought this might help you guys out

450R_lover
06-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah.. i also went down on the needle to the very bottom clip which is the 5th one

sparky450AR
06-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 450R_lover
I've got the 2-inch exhaust insert off of ebay and im running a 180 main and 50 pilot with the airbox lid cut like the hrc lid and it runs perfect. I didnt have to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw either. I live in southern Indiana.
thought this might help you guys out

Take it down to a 170...i gaurantee you will have more power....With the 180, its a little fat, and you dont get full advantage on opening up your lid

250rtone
06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
What size is the stock mian jet? 118?

Pappy
06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 250rtone
What size is the stock mian jet? 118?

yep...

i run a closed stock airbox with stock filter, hmf pipe and stock jetting seems to be working fine. but if you open the airbox this thing wants fuel...way more so then the 400ex ever dared too.

some good info in here...thanks!

Motoman440
06-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
yep...

i run a closed stock airbox with stock filter, hmf pipe and stock jetting seems to be working fine. but if you open the airbox this thing wants fuel...way more so then the 400ex ever dared too.

some good info in here...thanks!

I am running the same set-up (stock airbox closed lid / stock filter / HMF full system) except I did use a 125 main. Not much of a change but you will notice the difference on the bottem end. Not a bad gain for a $5.00 jet.

400ex4ever
06-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I am currently running a 195/52 W/o HRC lid on my HRC equipped 450R with an LRD Pro series full system. I taked with LRD on the phone last week and that was what they suggested for me to run. I am still on the 3rd notch for the needle but they said I would have to test it and might have to go to the 4th or 5th. It runs really good, but haven't really had a chance to open her up since the new exhaust. I am going to the Oregon Dunes tomorrow, riding by Firday, and will get to really test it out.

Pappy
06-30-2004, 01:42 PM
yeah i will switch to the 125, hmf was supposed to send one, but they sent a 135 and it was too fat on top.

sparky450AR
06-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
yeah i will switch to the 125, hmf was supposed to send one, but they sent a 135 and it was too fat on top.

Your right pappy jetting is crazy on the R. More air and the thing is hoggin a ton more fuel. You said 135 was too fat on top.....thats how a 180 was with the lid off and SA out. You could just tell the fuel was drowning out the power a little bit. But when i took it to a 170, i gained tons of throttle response and torque. The motor would also rev out better on the top end with the 170.

450 Racer R
07-01-2004, 09:18 AM
What's the easiest way to get to the carb? I just jetted mine yesterday and had to take all the plastics off. Is there any tricks that I should know about? Also, the needle clip doesn't need to be adjusted?

ZRider400
07-01-2004, 11:27 AM
when i changed the main jet on mine......i didnt have to take anything off.

XC250R
07-01-2004, 04:28 PM
You shouldn't have to take any plastic off.

sparky450AR
07-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
What's the easiest way to get to the carb? I just jetted mine yesterday and had to take all the plastics off. Is there any tricks that I should know about? Also, the needle clip doesn't need to be adjusted?
'
When I jetted mine for the first time....i took off the tank and the plastic under the tank. After that i realized i could have done it from the bottom of the carb without takeing anything off!