PDA

View Full Version : CR450F Engines

Toadz400
06-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Anyone know where to get them? Or basically do I just have to luck out on eBay. Right now there is a cheap one that needs some work...I just need to find a cheap 450 engine because I simply do not have the money to upgrade to a 450R. I just simply can't get rid of my 400, no one's interested in these anymore.

Any good places to find them? Or should I just give up hope, get insurance and roll it off a cliff? :devil:

Florida400EX
06-23-2004, 11:18 PM
I know service honda does, but they are rediculously expensive at 3k and thats without the carb, electrics, radiator or anything, just the engine. Then you need to get your frame modified which is only like $400 from east coast atv i think. Good luck, I'm in the same situation, and I'm choosing to get my handling up to par first, than I will mod my EX motor. I suggest with around the 3k you will spend puttin the CRF in, dump about half that and send your motor to curtis sparks, or TC, or any good engine builder, and you will have similar power and save a lot of cash at the same time.

good luck!

Toadz400
06-23-2004, 11:26 PM
I would, but I want liquid cooling. If I could trade for a KFX/Z/DVX I would do it in a heartbeat. I just don't want to have to worry about having problems with heat after boring to 440, having to deal with those tiny pieces of crap they call an oil cooler, lol. I think they should be twice as large.

Also the dirtbike engines are supposed to have more HP than a stock 450 quad, that's another thing that intrigues me.

Chef
06-23-2004, 11:53 PM
The bike motor is alot better off than the quad motor. Lighter crank, Ti Valves, lighter flywheel, more compression, all around just a better package.

Florida400EX
06-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Don't they make bigger oil coolers? I know the oil tanks, but I've heard of larger oil coolers. Check into those. 450 conversions will set you back a pretty penny.

YLW400
06-24-2004, 10:31 AM
SO you think it would be better to do a hybrid Chef? THis is something I am thinking about myself....I have the suspension and handling down with my EX, but i want to bump to B class next year, but will not do it with a 400EX motor...there are far too many new 450's in that class...So, it is either buy a new 450, or drop half of that money on a nice 450 motor, and gusset my frame.....help me out, if you would....

Toadz400
06-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Don't they make bigger oil coolers? I know the oil tanks, but I've heard of larger oil coolers. Check into those. 450 conversions will set you back a pretty penny.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CR450F engine is wet sump so it doesn't have an oil tank.

If I got a dirtbike engine, wouldn't I have to get a different radiator because aren't there usually two radiators, one on the left and one on the right?

Chef
06-24-2004, 10:59 AM
I would go for the conversion if I were you. If you end up buying the quad motor, get the dirtbike internals and top end for it. That would set you back even farther, though.

YLW400
06-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Didn't mean to jump in your thread Toadz, sorry dude..

Chef, thanks for the info, there are a couple of guys in B that run hybrids, I may be talking to them soon just to get the scoop!!

Florida400EX
06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Toadz- I wasn't refering to the CRF, I was refering to the EX motor. I have seen bigger oil coolers made for the EX motor that bolt right up. If you're worried about heat, I'd check that out. CRF's = $$$$$$$$$

Toadz400
06-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Toadz- I wasn't refering to the CRF, I was refering to the EX motor. I have seen bigger oil coolers made for the EX motor that bolt right up. If you're worried about heat, I'd check that out. CRF's = $$$$$$$$$

CRF's also = power

Boring and stroking it to 450, getting a bigger oil tank and oil cooler, all the heavy duty crap for the engine would probably set me back in money as much as just getting the CRF engine and getting the frame mounts and radiator. The engine on eBay isn't even up to 300 yet and it has less than a day, if I can get it for that much I'm already ahead by a lot.

I would just need to know where to get the mounting kits and where to get a radiator that would work.

oste
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Have you raced against anyone on a 450r yet? Maybe you'll do just fine with the 400ex. On mx anyways it seems rider is very important. If you don't got the balz to do a double, or aren't in shape, it doesn't matter what you are riding.

Toadz400
06-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by oste
Have you raced against anyone on a 450r yet? Maybe you'll do just fine with the 400ex. On mx anyways it seems rider is very important. If you don't got the balz to do a double, or aren't in shape, it doesn't matter what you are riding.

I have raced against a YFZ450, 450R, Z's, KFX's, 400ex's, and a YZ440f (426 bored to 440) in an EX frame. I actually did quite well, was one of the first people into the first corner (on nearly bald tires in mud, and all I have on my 400ex is a Big Gun slip-on). I was in the top 3 for awhile until I got rear-ended in a corner because some guy decided to try go through it in 5th gear...very tight corner where you had to nearly stop otherwise you'd lose control (this track was VERY sandy).

Anyway, I could've done a lot better if I had my shocks set up right, they are valved for a 235lb person and I'm 150...wasn't exactly a "smooth" ride. Also a steering dampner would've helped A LOT, I know that much, I was so sore from that race. I ended up finishing near last because on the last corner I got knocked up onto a berm by a Z400...couldn't move because I was stuck on my skidplate.

I have the balls to hit anything I see on a track while racing, at first I had my doubts when I was racing (it was my first time also, I was doing pretty damn well for a first time racer on a near stock 400ex) but I would just pin the throttle and I made it just fine over every jump.

I know that I would be able to reach my full potential on a 450, but I bet I could get a much better place if I had tires with tread on them:rolleyes: .

Anyone in Wisconsin want to lend me a 450 so I can see if I do any better? :p ...I might give it back;) ...