PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do

400nate
06-23-2004, 09:44 PM
i hope this is the right place for this post...

ok experts heres the scoop. i have an 03 400ex completely paid off i'm thinking about getting a 450r and trading in my 400...now my 400 has a 440 stroker kit, port and polish, slip on pipe, new paint job, heavy duty timing chain, k&n, outerware, 11.1 comp. its a real torque monster i can do wheelies froma stand still trough 3rd gear....oh it also has a 36 rear spocket....i like my 400 it good fast and can ride sand like its pavement....last time i checked it topped out about 70 or so i think...lol.....n e way all in all should i spend the extra 3000 after trade in for the 450r or keep what i have.....i need this fast for my laon app is already in progress.....also if u could a couple reasons why u keep or buy the new.....thanks for the help guys.....goin to test ride the 450 on thursday......hope its what everyone says it is.....thanks again.....

ZapsRacing
06-23-2004, 10:07 PM
With everything you have on your 400 it should hang with the 450's if you are going for top speed. At Zaps ATV & Cycle (my brothers shop), they have built 400 motors that have been beating the 450's in flatdrags, the 450's have only had like a pipe or small things on them. It just depends on how much $$ ya wanna spend. The 450 would beat your 400 after a few tweaks on the motor.

sparky450AR
06-24-2004, 12:37 AM
The only upgrade I see with a 450R compared to what you have. Is there's so much more room for improvement. Theres probably not much more you would want to do to your ex motor, and the R motor hangs with the strokers stock. Also better suspension ( if you still have stock shocks), lighter, and you have a more technology updated bike. But if you think you are going to get massive gains on power from a stock 450R motor compared to your stroker, you probably wont. BUT the R motor does have more potential.

This past weekend, my dad and I took out our bikes, I took out my spark arrester and cut the airbox lid. And he put on an FCR. We were out jetting our bikes, i got mine perfect, at the end of the day his was still a little off. When we dragged by the time we were in 5th gear, i was about 8-10 bike lengths ahead of him. So if he got his jetting right, got a better cam, went a little more crazy with the porting, i think he would have been real close. And thats a 416! Its built by profab, and scott at profab told me a lot of the 440 kits were hype. But if its a 440 done professionally, they run pretty good.

Here are some vids of well built 440ex's against YFZ450's.

The username is mv@insightbb.com , password is cannon .

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/cimg1067.avi

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/cimg1069.avi

This class came down to two highly modded, 440ex's. There were stock 450r's, YFZ's, and even a 300ex running on meth.

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/cimg1070.avi

400nate
06-24-2004, 05:16 AM
hey thanks for the info......though your the only one who has posted on this i pretty much desided to keep the 400 put a little more into it and being able to build the engine and do all the mods myself i won't waste 3000 on what i almost got already...i really only wanted the 450r cuz it was liquid cooled thats all other than that when i looked at it and checked it out it was almost 75% identical....from what i seen swingarms ect..and the things that were diffrent were just some framework, engine of course and some diffrent parts thrown all on the same things....anyway thank you for your info and knowledge...one ore thing..i cannot watch those vids it says u have exceeded your limit for the day and its 5 am now.....

PEPwalshZ440
06-24-2004, 09:49 AM
even if you don't keep it and get a 450r...sell it outright, never trade in a race quad cuz u get jack crap for it. but me, i would keep your quad now.

400nate
06-24-2004, 11:16 AM
yeah i'm gonna keep it now......but i was gettin 3500 for it wich was fine for me since i had it all payed off in less than a year so its was really no big deal.....thank guy again..for you info