PDA

View Full Version : Getting an aftermarket steering stem, is it worth?

brazilian rider
06-23-2004, 03:20 PM
I want to buy one cause mine bents all the time but I`ve heard that the aftermakets bent too.

This guy on exriders said that he is welding something inside of the stem and it`s making it stronger, almost at the point of bent or crack the frame I don`t know.

What should I do? Is it worth getting an aftermarket one or should I do this mod?

Thanks

400ex28
06-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah the aftermarket one bend also so i just stick with the stock one ;) :cool:

brazilian rider
06-23-2004, 04:08 PM
That`s too bad!
So I don`t know why people but them:confused:

400ex28
06-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I havent heard of that mod

Bill Fuller
06-23-2004, 04:57 PM
An after market stem is generaly stronger than the stocker.I would not suggest making or buying a stem that is so strong that it won't bend.The stem is just like tie rods it is a weak point on the chassie designed to bend to absorb the impact of a crash rather than transfer the damage to the frame.What would you rather buy a new steering stem or a new frame?

06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
My first suggestion is don't roll the quad over and your expensive stem will be fine..:D

I run a houser +1 +1 stem and it is friggon great. I'm much more comfortable, get less arm pump and it takes ALL the vibration before it gets to your arms. They are definitly worth the money even though mine was pretty cheap and it compared to the last aftermarket stem I was running it was still a night and day difference. This is my 3rd aftermarket stem and I'm more than happy with it..

And like Bill said a stem too strong will transfer that force to the top of the frame at the steering stem bushing and when that's bent it's time for a new frame..:mad:

300ex13
06-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Rico
My first suggestion is don't roll the quad over and your expensive stem will be fine..:D

I run a houser +1 +1 stem and it is friggon great. I'm much more comfortable, get less arm pump and it takes ALL the vibration before it gets to your arms. They are definitly worth the money even though mine was pretty cheap and it compared to the last aftermarket stem I was running it was still a night and day difference. This is my 3rd aftermarket stem and I'm more than happy with it..

And like Bill said a stem too strong will transfer that force to the top of the frame at the steering stem bushing and when that's bent it's time for a new frame..:mad:

thats wut i wouldve said

brazilian rider
06-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, very helpful, made things clear for me about a stem.

So the houser would be my best shot?
Where can I get it?

Also when u said +1 +1 it was 1 inch higher and 1 inch what?

Bill Fuller
06-24-2004, 05:13 AM
1 in. taller and 1 in. forward.