PDA

View Full Version : Another bad write-up on ATV's on ABC news webpage

06-23-2004, 11:28 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/SciTech/US/ATV_forests_040623-1.html

Not totally negative but still a kick in the junk to us ATV riders.

06-23-2004, 11:56 AM
instead of just complainin about all these bad reports about atvs, we need to find a way to get the good side of atvs on tv, any ideas lol im blank, other than gettin a bunch of atvers together and showing people we can ride safley and responsibly, but i have no clue how that could get on tv, it wouldnt be exciting enough i guess

400exrules
06-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by member
instead of just complainin about all these bad reports about atvs, we need to find a way to get the good side of atvs on tv, any ideas lol im blank, other than gettin a bunch of atvers together and showing people we can ride safley and responsibly, but i have no clue how that could get on tv, it wouldnt be exciting enough i guess

We could show how all these kids race, and how its a positive influence since they would rather be ridin with their family then out doin drugs and junk.

PHAT400
06-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
We could show how all these kids race, and how its a positive influence since they would rather be ridin with their family then out doin drugs and junk.

I wanted the news to see how my boy and I ride just around the yard in full gear........

I called the local new's agency.. FOX and asked them if they would like to come out and see the family do some riding. The dude say's "since the other guy's (NBC) just did a peice on this topic we probably would not be interested unless someone was seriously injured.."

WHAT?????? YOU IDIOT!!
:mad:

muff
06-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PHAT400
I wanted the news to see how my boy and I ride just around the yard in full gear........

I called the local new's agency.. FOX and asked them if they would like to come out and see the family do some riding. The dude say's "since the other guy's (NBC) just did a peice on this topic we probably would not be interested unless someone was seriously injured.."

WHAT?????? YOU IDIOT!!
:mad:

wow, that is rediculous. its so sad to see the view that people take on the sport that we all love so much. recently our local track almost got closed down, the lady that came up with the complaints said we needed to find something productive to do :huh luckily the board was on our side and we can keep on ridin :)

300exOH
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
That's what I don't get. These people don't like you riding on their land so they kick you out. If that isn't enough then they try to shut down the tracks and public riding ares. Then these same over-paid under educated people hop on there loud ***** Harley's and ride the public roads. And when it rains they hop in their $50,000 Hummer. :mad:

06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
I have nothing against crotch rockets but im pretty sure they kill/hurt more people than ATV's and you hear no write-ups on them it pisses me off because it gives atv's a bad reputation:mad:

lilhondagirly
06-23-2004, 01:07 PM
COLOR=crimson]People shouldn't be out there setting fires and things though. Riding isn't all bad like the news makes it sound my dad's friend is tryin to get a bunch of the kids that ride from around here together and making a tape of what we really do and not what they say we do...Riding help 4 of my friends stop doing drugs and gettin into something worth while...[/COLOR]

Mxjunkie
06-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
That's what I don't get. These people don't like you riding on their land so they kick you out. If that isn't enough then they try to shut down the tracks and public riding ares. Then these same over-paid under educated people hop on there loud ***** Harley's and ride the public roads. And when it rains they hop in their $50,000 Hummer. :mad:

:mad: watch what u say about harleys buddy

ReconRider25
06-23-2004, 07:16 PM
<ATV groups argue most riders follow the rules and limit their damage by riding only on designated trails, so they shouldn't lose rights because of a minority of "criminal" riders.

"If the occasional person veers off the trail, that's not cause to throw everybody out," said Bill Dart, executive director of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, an advocacy group for trail motorists. "That's like closing the highway because some people speed.">

thats exactly whats happening around here. that and the d@mn rich snobs that move out here from the city knowing well that theres a trail right by their house/development and then they complain about it......we already lost atleast half our trails and are still loosing more cuz these snobs.......:(

300exOH
06-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
:mad: watch what u say about harleys buddy

Don't get me wrong. I think Harley's are awesome but why can they be loud and annoying but we can't. It's these same people who are complaining about quads.

THEbluYFZ450
06-23-2004, 08:41 PM
i always see these quad articals but never dirtbike articles.. WHY IS THIS? because they think dirtbikes are cute

quadracer511
06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
lets not start trashin other ohvs thats the last thing we need, but we deffinatley gotta show them that it is a minority of riders that doo that or sumthin organize like a huge ride with saftey gear n all n show them

Mxjunkie
06-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Don't get me wrong. I think Harley's are awesome but why can they be loud and annoying but we can't. It's these same people who are complaining about quads.

harleys are starting to have db limits also, one town near here says they have to as loud as a lawn mower, which imo i think is bs because lawn mowers are about 80-85 db's. also the big reason quads and dirtbikes have to be limited by noise is because they are ran in woods,trails etc where animals and other things live. it would be disturbing the other organisms. just my .02

300exOH
06-24-2004, 11:37 AM
I think they have dB limits here too but they don't seem to be enforced. I'm pretty sure mine and my neighbors riding lawn mowers are nearly as loud as most quads. I don't have any complaints about the noise personally until they start complaining about the noise I make. It just seems that it's okay for someone with a Harley or some poser-mobile ricer with a coffee can exhaust is okay. I think if they are going to make and enforce noise laws then it should apply to everyone. Not just quads and dirt bikes. It just seems like we get all the negative press while the guys who spend $25,000 on a Harley get overlooked. I agree we should ALL keep the noise to a minimum but it just seems likje they are picking on atv's. Also they are worried about the noise bothering the woodland creatures? What about people who live in the cities? I haven't heard any animals complaining.

Sorry to rant everyone. It's JMO

toby400ex
06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Who cares, drugs are bad and there are new users everyday.:rolleyes:

ThyJuGGaLo
06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
they try to ban atvs because people are getting hurt on them but at the same time passing laws that say you don't have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle?!?

Mxjunkie
06-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by ThyJuGGaLo
they try to ban atvs because people are getting hurt on them but at the same time passing laws that say you don't have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle?!?

my dads friends with the guy who really pushed to get rid of the helmet law, test's proove from florida riders are more aware of whats going on around them when not wearing a helmet and accidents went down like 10% or something like that.

protraxrptr17
06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
The noise bothering woodland animals is BS. I'm a logger, and I operate tree cutting machines that make more noise than ten quads. I've had deer stand ten feet away and watch me cut trees all day. There have been some that I've had to get out of the machine and chase them away on foot. Most animals are curious more than scared. I've also rode within a few feet of wild turkeys on my old 250R.

400grl
06-25-2004, 10:10 AM
One of our local news stations is going to come out and do a story on my riding/racing quads.....I think cuz I'm a mom and have kids and it's a human interest type thing.......so that should help to put a little bit more of a positive spin on things.....I don't know if it's just the demographics, or what - but in AZ, people don't seem so quick to bash the ATV riders, etc.......so that's good. THe more positive stories we can get out there, the better.....

Mxjunkie
06-25-2004, 10:40 AM
we could use a good story about atvs here, some jack*****'s faked a atv crash here and had 911 called on them etc :rolleyes:

Toadz400
06-25-2004, 11:16 AM
I think the guy who took a sledge hammer to his son's quad needs some major mental help. Yea that really taught him a lesson..."My dad's psychotic and he's going to kill me in my sleep:( ". The kid probably sleeps with a shotgun now.

Anyway, I liked what the lady on the third page was saying about how it would be better if we had more land to ride on, that way we wouldn't wander onto other land that's not legal. It's like them giving us a 10x10 piece of dirt to ride on...and we're not supposed to be tempted to ride on the hilly knoll a quarter mile away that is calling out to be ridden on. Trespassing is wrong...but they have to give us more land to work with, they keep reducing it and that just gets more immature quad riders to do more illegal stuff and it's just making us look worse and worse.

Don't know if any of that stuff made sense...but I just woke up:p