PDA

View Full Version : Jet Needle Removal??

Hbobb
06-23-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm ashamed to ask such a stupid question but can someone give me good instructions on how to remove the jet needle. I am trying to put the HRC kit in. The cam is no problem since I have had and worked on a CRF450R for a couple of years and it is the same procedure. But the carb is different and the needle is much harder to get to on this TRX450R.

I am looking at the top of the round slide in the carb. The lever arm connects to the top of the slide with a white plastic thing and a spring. Do I take off the black plastic side cover on the carb to somehow release the lever arm?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

MIA450R
06-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Not a stupid question.

Yes. You have to release the link arm assembly from the link arm shaft by first removing the small screw and thrust washer, and then pulling the shaft out (takes some fin-a-ga-ling). Make sure you keep the return spring in place on the shaft. Then pull the throttle valve out, remove the 2 screws holding the link arm to the throttle vavle, and you can now change the jet needle.

I am a total newbie to this kind of stuff, but was able to do the entire HRC kit install in about 2.5hrs....taking my time with a mechanic friend watching. This very step was the most difficult part (because getting the link arm shaft out is a little tricky) followed closely by getting that dang decompressor bolt out!

Good luck.

lukester720
06-23-2004, 10:50 AM
All I did was remove the 2 screws that go into the bottom of the slide, pupped the throttle open and drags the stock needle out with my fingernail against the inside of the slide. Taking all the other stuff of is a waste of time.:cool:

dn1911
06-23-2004, 11:53 AM
if you pull the two screws out of the slide then use magnet probe to pull needle out should work i think

Hbobb
06-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your help guys!

Hbobb
06-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Very easy. Took the two screws out and used magnet to get them out of the way. Held the lever out of the way. Then grabbed needle with some needle-nose pliers. Put new needle in with clip on 3rd position. Put tank and plastic back on. Fired up first kick.:)