PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for 400ex fans...........

RIDER11X
06-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Well, I guess it is official........................Honda.com lists all of it's sport quads for 05', with the exception of the TRX400ex!:( Why would they do this? The 300ex is so much more dated........and the 400ex has done soooo much for Honda.

I'm really disappointed with Honda's decision on this.:mad: :cuss:

I was hoping to see an all black version!

86350x
06-23-2004, 01:41 AM
There's still lots of new left-over ones out there.

I'd like to see a trx650 added to there lineup.

sickmojave
06-23-2004, 06:10 AM
the 400ex will still be here and yes it's still in the line up ;)

READ THIS > 2005 400 EX (http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=236)

RIDER11X
06-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave

:D That is great news to me!!!! I am a huge fan of the 400ex and was so bummed when I thought it was dropped from the line up. Thanks so much for the info! Much appreciated!

TGW_400ex
06-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave

What! there going to make it pass eviromental checks but they arn't going to bring it up to par with the 2005 Z400?:huh :eek2: :huh

Woodsrider
06-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
What! there going to make it pass eviromental checks but they arn't going to bring it up to par with the 2005 Z400?:huh :eek2: :huh

I didnt see any where in the artical that it would remain unchanged. If you read between the lines, you see that in fact it will be gettin a change of some sort. If its going to meet EPA standards, it has to get changed. They just dont say what the changes are. Could be PGM-FI. Could be a different engine design, or VTEC, or a combination of all or any of the above. Honda has some pretty cool things in the works down in Torrance, we just have to wait and see. I just hope its half as cool as whats on tap for the car line up:cool:

RIDER11X
06-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex

Probably a big ole' catyletic converter! :p

sickmojave
06-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Probably a big ole' catyletic converter! :p

LMAO that's what I was thinking:p

Cody_300ex
06-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
I didnt see any where in the artical that it would remain unchanged. If you read between the lines, you see that in fact it will be gettin a change of some sort. If its going to meet EPA standards, it has to get changed. They just dont say what the changes are. Could be PGM-FI. Could be a different engine design, or VTEC, or a combination of all or any of the above. Honda has some pretty cool things in the works down in Torrance, we just have to wait and see. I just hope its half as cool as whats on tap for the car line up:cool:

No if it meet EPA standards it could would probly not be VTEC because when the engine reachs a certain RPM A different cam lobe kicks in and it uses oil so thus more emissions. This may not be 100% correct it may be but im just telling you what I know about VTEC. And no im not some ricer fan who likes civcs with 5 ft tall wings. My bro has a pretty badazz prelude, but thats a whole different post.

TCracin440ex
06-23-2004, 12:14 PM
400ex is gone for 05...im best friends with my dealer and i went up there and told him that and he went and checked his list and he said...yep your right....no 400ex for 2005....the discontinued the 400ex...but the 400ex will still be a winner in my eyes

Chef
06-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
400ex is gone for 05...im best friends with my dealer and i went up there and told him that and he went and checked his list and he said...yep your right....no 400ex for 2005....the discontinued the 400ex...but the 400ex will still be a winner in my eyes

Then why dont you explain to everyone why that article says 2005 TRX400EX?

TCracin440ex
06-23-2004, 12:41 PM
i dont kno...im just telling you what my dealer/friend told me...he didnt have them on the 05 lineup...i expect if they do rerelease the 400ex it will proally be late 05...but as of now he said hes not getting any 400ex's in to sell...but thats a dissapointment to him because he sells more 400ex's than what he does any other quad at his shop

muff
06-23-2004, 12:41 PM
I dont see how they could drop it...the sales of it have been enormous. yea it cant battle with the top yfz+450r, but there are so many trail riders that the 400ex is perfect for. :macho

TCracin440ex
06-23-2004, 12:45 PM
i guess because its old, slow, outdated, 4 stroke, air cooled but still winning races across the country just aint cutting it anymore for honda...hopefully late 05 we will see a upgraded 400ex...400ex is the most user friendly bike ive ever rode in my life, and honda is dumb if they drop this quad...loosing alot of sales...

kamikaze_rzrbak
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
maybe a liquid cooled 400ex:confused:

Ralph
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
DEALERS DONT KNOW **** AND DONT FIND OUT ANYTHING BEFORE WE DO. EVEN IF THEY WERE SENT AN ARTICLE THEY DONT READ ANY OF THAT ****. Ive gone to a dealer and he told me a trx450r didnt exist when i had a picture of it. The salesmen not hobbyists.

TCracin440ex
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
my dealer does...he rides quads, motorcycles, and dirtbikes....hes not just some slacker dealer taht sits on his *** that has lil flunkies doing the work for him...if you walked in his place of business and u didnt kno he owned it...u never would...cuz he gets out there and acts like a salesperson as well...

TCracin440ex
06-23-2004, 01:15 PM
well my dealer aint a putz

jb500ex
06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
your dealer is a putz it will be out in september

sickmojave
06-23-2004, 04:19 PM
IMO if they treat it like a new quad then the dealers won't get any more info than the rest of us untill the dealer show in September :o

Woodsrider
06-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
No if it meet EPA standards it could would probly not be VTEC because when the engine reachs a certain RPM A different cam lobe kicks in and it uses oil so thus more emissions. This may not be 100% correct it may be but im just telling you what I know about VTEC. And no im not some ricer fan who likes civcs with 5 ft tall wings. My bro has a pretty badazz prelude, but thats a whole different post.

You are close but wrong. VTEC uses Oil Pressure not oil, to lock the rockers and extend the lift duration of the valves. I would love to explain for you in detail how vtec works but I'm not going to hijack this thread. If you would like, PM me and Ill explain it in detail. Im a certified Acura Master tech and Im sure I know more about vtec than you. After that I'll explain the difference between the thre different types of VTEC used on Honda engines;)

MOFO
06-23-2004, 06:36 PM
You are close but wrong. VTEC uses Oil Pressure not oil, to lock the rockers and extend the lift duration of the valves. I would love to explain for you in detail how vtec works but I'm not going to hijack this thread. If you would like, PM me and Ill explain it in detail. Im a certified Acura Master tech and Im sure I know more about vtec than you. After that I'll explain the difference between the thre different types of VTEC used on Honda engines;)

If you send him that PM, send a carbon copy to me... I always enjoy learning new stuff with cars....and I have to admit, the VTEC motor is a system that I dont fully understand.

Rip_Tear
06-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Obivously an ATV that is being re-released in september, won't be on a lineup until it is released... Honda wouldn't get ride of the 400ex because its sales are still high, and a reason they took so long to put the TRX450R out is because of these high sales... BTW this thread was already covered awhile ago...

davetx
06-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Looks like we don't have anything to worry about:

HONDA ATV FIRST TO MEET EPA 2006 EMISSIONS

Torrance, CA - The 2005 Honda TRX400EX has just received the first
Certificate of Conformity awarded by the Environmental Protection Agency,
under the new low emissions regulations, adopted late last year, for
recreation vehicles and engines, beginning in 2006.

Widely acknowledged as a leader in safety and environmental technology,
Honda has a long list of "firsts" in applying new thinking and technologies
to production vehicles.

"We're extremely pleased and excited to offer our customers
environmentally-friendly machines that don't sacrifice anything in terms of
performance and fun", said Ray Blank, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.,
Motorcycle Division Vice President. "We take a great deal of pride in being
the first manufacturer to receive the EPA's certification for the 2006
regulations that apply to off-highway motorcycles, and ATVs, well before
the new federal standards take effect."

The TRX400EX will be available for sale after the Honda dealer convention
in September 2004, where seven additional 2005 Honda ATV models that meet
the 2006 EPA regulation will also be announced.

Link (http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=236)

Ralph
06-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by davetx
Looks like we don't have anything to worry about:

HONDA ATV FIRST TO MEET EPA 2006 EMISSIONS

Torrance, CA - The 2005 Honda TRX400EX has just received the first
Certificate of Conformity awarded by the Environmental Protection Agency,
under the new low emissions regulations, adopted late last year, for
recreation vehicles and engines, beginning in 2006.

Widely acknowledged as a leader in safety and environmental technology,
Honda has a long list of "firsts" in applying new thinking and technologies
to production vehicles.

"We're extremely pleased and excited to offer our customers
environmentally-friendly machines that don't sacrifice anything in terms of
performance and fun", said Ray Blank, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.,
Motorcycle Division Vice President. "We take a great deal of pride in being
the first manufacturer to receive the EPA's certification for the 2006
regulations that apply to off-highway motorcycles, and ATVs, well before
the new federal standards take effect."

The TRX400EX will be available for sale after the Honda dealer convention
in September 2004, where seven additional 2005 Honda ATV models that meet
the 2006 EPA regulation will also be announced.

Link (http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=236)

RIDER11X
06-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Soooo will the new 400ex be a screamer or a slow poke? And, is this a 50 states requirement or a California only model? I realize nobody will have these answers, I don't think, but just putting some thoughts out there.
I would really miss the 400ex, as I really don't NEED a 450r or a YFZ, I like everything about my old faithful. I have been all Honda ever since 3 wheelers, and always wanted to build one of those 250r chassis/ 350x motor hybrids, and then Honda did it for me, and gave an extra 50cc's. So the 400ex is my dream machine, that I always wanted. Call me crazy, but I guess I'm old school in a way.:cool:

Cody_300ex
06-23-2004, 10:50 PM

thanks, and im postive you know a lot more about vtec than me! lol My brother and all his friends have pretty badazz hondas, and im with him a lot so I learn a lot. Also his mechanic (who bulit his hybird engine) and I are always talkin about em'.

joshm8979
06-23-2004, 11:30 PM
This is how I'm looking at it. The article talks about the 05 400EX's being released in September, so I'm planning on getting mine in September. It's much too popular of an atv to get rid of. That's just my take on the whole rumor/situation.

toby400ex
06-24-2004, 01:41 AM
VTECH AHHHH:eek2:

gncc400exxx
07-03-2004, 07:34 PM
i have a vetc mower it's pretty sweet

hondafox440
07-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Yea, don't worry. The 400EX will be here in 05. Honda tends to wait until the last minute to release certain specs. For example, the 04 CR125 didn't appear on their website until a week or two before you could get them in dealerships.

rollie
07-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by gncc400exxx

LMAO:p how long does it take you to cut the grass? lol

lil400exman
07-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by gncc400exxx

that thang got dat NOS?:cool:

TGW_400ex
07-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
that thang got dat NOS?:cool:

you mean NAWZ

sparky450AR
07-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Well, I guess it is official........................Honda.com lists all of it's sport quads for 05', with the exception of the TRX400ex

I realize the 400ex is going to be stopped for a while. But you say its not shown on hondas site,,,,,its all over there site...and still listed with the MSRP??

RIDER11X
07-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
I realize the 400ex is going to be stopped for a while. But you say its not shown on hondas site,,,,,its all over there site...and still listed with the MSRP??

Ummmmm, it's there alright............but that little '05 icon is missing on that model and not on the rest of them........:rolleyes:

sparky450AR
07-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Ummmmm, it's there alright............but that little '05 icon is missing on that model and not on the rest of them........:rolleyes:

Oh, I see what your saying.

RIDER11X
07-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
Oh, I see what your saying.

:p You did have me curious enough to go to the Honda site to check again though.:cool: