PDA

View Full Version : 450r Issues

Wayne64SS
06-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Nothing big here just thought i'd post see if anyone else has ahd these same things. I picked it up saturday and its been running great! Yesterday i was idling it at night for like 2 minutes just warm it up and the head pipe is glowing red!!! revved it and it was ok, took it for a irde and the glowing went away and went back to normal color. The bike wasnt overheating or nothing ??!?! WTF! Didnt seem to affect performance though. Second thing is on my l/f fender the clear is peeled off in this one spot about the size of a water drop ... my service manager said he'd call honda to ttry and get me a new fender. They better warranty it, it's brand new!!!! Nothing big jsut wanted to see if any of this was common, i figure the head pipe is just jetting and the fender might be becaseu i got one off the showroom floor rather than out of the crate.

Scro
06-22-2004, 02:15 PM
dont count on honda's warranty to replace ur fender......hondas warranty program is crap....they blame everything on misuse or mistreatment and say that it is ur fault. Youll be lucky to get anything.

Wayne64SS
06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
well considering it hasnt even gotten dirty yet they better see it my way. If not they can hear from my lawyer ;)

06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Wayne64SS
well considering it hasnt even gotten dirty yet they better see it my way. If not they can hear from my lawyer ;) they have better lawyers..its not worth it...i know someone who went to court with them & he lost big & had to pay some court costs & it wasnt worth it...if it was a bigger problem like a blown motor or something I would say try but ill sell you a fender if you want..i have 2 that I took off from the front of mine b/c i like the 4 wheeles crotch rocket look.

twisted threads
06-22-2004, 02:43 PM
The header glowing red in normal. Good luck trying to get them to give you a new fender... after you ride the bike a few times you have them scrached up anyways.:cool:

Wayne64SS
06-23-2004, 05:44 AM
thanks for all the responses! WE'll see what they say. prolly no but ill give it a shot. Also last nigth while i was riding i think i fouled a plug. I was riding through some tight trails and it boggs and makes an almost deisel sound. Prolly cause im luggin the **** out of it. But thats not my concern my problem is that after that it sounded like it was missing at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. if i nail it its all there and after i ran it hard for awhile it started to clear up but we hit more tight **** and then headed home.

Bretmd94
06-23-2004, 09:15 AM
The bogging sound is normal as well as the head pipe turning red. The head pipes just dont look red in the day time. YOu can only see it at night. Once you get exhaust, or change the gearing a tooth lower the bogging will be fixed.

04trx450R
06-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Even if you dont change the gearing or exhaust, you'll get used to it,, you need to clutch the bike more than others, I ride tight woods all the time, when I first got it, I stalled it a lot and lugged it, now I know you gotta rev her a bit and play with the clutch,, it is great once you know whats up with it,,,, Super fast, and yes the glowing pipe is normal

Evan400ex
06-23-2004, 10:39 PM
When I bought my 03' 400ex last year, about 3 months after I bought it there was a crack in the plastic under the seat. They called Honda up while I was at the dealer and they said they would send me whole new fenders right over. So they should get you a new fender if they "really" talk to Honda.

Wayne64SS
06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
went to the dealer last night and brought my fender with me. He said he would order me one immediately. I bought a new plug and stuff to change my oil. When i got home and pulled my old plug out it was completely white! iTS GOTTA BE RUNNING SO LEAN. Is this normal for these bikes? Where is the air fuel screw? Should i richen it a turn or just dive into jetting right away??? Oh yea and that 13t sprocket made all the difference in the world. This thing is an animal now and its geared perfect!

Wayne64SS
06-24-2004, 11:43 AM
TTT