PDA

View Full Version : Snythetic oil change intervals

redroost85
06-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Just wondering all you guys that run synthetic oil, how often you change out?

I race at least one mx race a weekend with some moderate play riding during the week. Is it a usage factor, every six months no matter what, wait till the oil on the stick is dark...just wondering?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks..............John:)

UglyMotha™
06-22-2004, 01:45 PM
change it when it looks dirty

06-22-2004, 02:46 PM
u aid u race MX every week & a little play riding in between? I would change it once a week to be safe or at least every other week. I thought the oil can still be crap but look good? synthetic is the best :muscle:

redroost85
06-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Jumbo, change my synthetic oil once a week?:huh Are you serious? I thought the whole synthetic thing was so that you wouldn't have to change it all the time and it's better for the engine?

This is gonna be pretty freaking expensive if I gotta change it that often!:eek2:

I think I saw Rico say on here on time that he changes his synthetic TWICE A YEAR whether he needs it or not, lol!:p

Does anyone else have any other ideas besides this?

Thanks guys.:)

06-22-2004, 06:52 PM
lol about rico...i recoommended that to be safe...do what you want...thats my advice & thats what I do.

Fuchs105
06-22-2004, 06:54 PM
john! howcome u never asked me that bfore? you should probably change it after every ride or race! Playriding during the week is fine, just as long as you change it after the race...that is all:D

TC426EX
06-22-2004, 07:07 PM
To my knowledge it is not adviseable to be running fully synthetic oil in the EX or any dry sump motors. The same oil lubes the clutch and I thought it was well known that the synthetic stuff is NOT good for the clutch components. You are only supposed to run a semi synthetic blend oil in the EX motor from everything Ive heard from many people over the years. Maybe I m mistaken but I thought that was common knowledge everywhere... If youre using fully synthetic I dont think that is very good for the motor so I would switch to just a semi synthetic....

redroost85
06-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the thoughts fellas.:)

Time to order some more oil I see.:p

modracer5
06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
i run regular 20w-50 Amsiol in my 465ex. I pulled a sample after the 6 gncc races and sent it in for analysis. i had 12 hrs of racing gncc's, several local mx races and local practice. i sent two samples to two different labs, one belonged to amsoil and the other to another oil company's lab at witch i had a friendly contact. Long story short my oil was said to have 80% life from one lab and 75% life from the other. The independent labs results actually showed better results. Just stay away from the synthetics with friction modifiers. that is why I chose to not run my brands racing oil. I have never (knocks on WOOD) had problems with my clutches slipping.

UglyMotha™
06-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
To my knowledge it is not adviseable to be running fully synthetic oil in the EX or any dry sump motors. The same oil lubes the clutch and I thought it was well known that the synthetic stuff is NOT good for the clutch components. You are only supposed to run a semi synthetic blend oil in the EX motor from everything Ive heard from many people over the years. Maybe I m mistaken but I thought that was common knowledge everywhere... If youre using fully synthetic I dont think that is very good for the motor so I would switch to just a semi synthetic....

actually running a full synthetic is the best thing you can do for your motor and they do make wet clutch full sythetics what you say about oils is somwhat true but only pertains to some synthetics, most of them contain certain friction modifiers that will harm the clutch although not all full synthetics contain these modifiers any synthetics not containing these modifiers will not harm your motor and you'll only benefit from it

06-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by redroost85

I think I saw Rico say on here on time that he changes his synthetic TWICE A YEAR whether he needs it or not, lol!:p

I normally go about 8 hours actual ride time between oil changes. It also depends on how hard I"m riding also. It normally gets changed after every 2 GNCC races..:cool:

JAYSBAD#$%300EX
06-23-2004, 11:22 AM
what are some good brands of fully sinthetic , i would like to go to synthetic my self, is there any special way of flushing out all the old reagular oil...........

UglyMotha™
06-23-2004, 11:32 AM
mobile 1 redcap

no need really to flush out the old stuff

Kennethyfz450
06-23-2004, 01:35 PM
i am running Amsoil 20w50 but its synthetic.. I just changed today..

i like everything about it besides the price.

anything has to be better than yamalube.. also how much does it cost to send out the oil to see how much it breaks down and such??:o i never have thought of doing that before.. so i would like to give it a try..

redroost85
06-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I just got done changing out my Amsoil with new stuff. Oil looked decent, but the filter was pretty dirty.

So I put some new 0w/40 and a new K&N filter and she's good to go!

I thought I could go longer without changing my synthetic....:( Then again, I do some pretty hard riding...maybe that's why?:confused:

I got a case of Amsoil on the way!:devil:

4wheelboy
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
i run mobil 1 red cap 15/50 and i change it every 2 mx races.
my clutch hasnt slipped yet and i see no need to change oil brands. mobil1 red cap dosent have all them friction modifiers an junk soo im gonna keep using that :o

GoOn3
06-23-2004, 05:10 PM
you can go by taste as well. Run the dip stick across your tongue and swish it around your mouth. If it feels slightly gritty and bitter, it's time for a change. If it's smooth and not bitter, more like the taste of dirt, no need to change.

modracer5
06-23-2004, 05:27 PM
I started out on the Mobil 20w-50 "red cap" and had no problems. I then changed to Royal Purple 20w-50 and ran it for a few oil changes "it costs more so it must be better" but it was harder for me to locate so i decided to go back to Mobil 1. I ran into an amsoil dealer and he just kept hyping it up so i decided to give it a try. It took two or three GNCC races before it started to change colors to black. After talking to my dealer he convinced me to keep running it and said that the color had nothing to do with the effectiveness of the oil in the case of synthetics.I ended up with three more races before i changed it and sent some for analysis. I do still change my oil filter every other race.
One of the big advantages of synthetics vs conventional oil for me is that one moto on my bike would smoke regular oil. Most regular oils start to or break down in the 240 to 260 degree range and most synthetics that i have come across can withstand a lot higher temps before they start to break down. I know that i was told amsoil's range is in the 300 degree plus range and that made the difference of me smoking my oil in one race plus i have the added benefit of better lube.
Someone asked the cost of analysis, it cost me like 15 dollars to send to amsoil and i have a friend with Valvoline that did mine for free.

Evan400ex
06-23-2004, 10:22 PM
I run Amsoil 20w 50 synthetic and haven't had a problem yet. That is the only thing that T&T Racing told me to run in my 416. He said they have had the best luck with it in their race bikes.

hondarider2006
06-24-2004, 04:09 AM
I run mobile 1 in my 400 also, and it changes colors pretty fast. Looks dirty after a few rides, but I change it about every month or so. Every ride seems a little accesive to me:huh

ExRacer02
06-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Just wondering if anyone has ran Royal Purple oil. Its a full synethic racing oil that is supposed to make your engine run a lot cooler. I been wanting to try it but its like 8 bucks a quart! I think the only place you can get it is order it from Jegs.

modracer5
06-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ExRacer02
Just wondering if anyone has ran Royal Purple oil. Its a full synethic racing oil that is supposed to make your engine run a lot cooler. I been wanting to try it but its like 8 bucks a quart! I think the only place you can get it is order it from Jegs.

I ran the royal purple and had only one problem. getting it! you can also get it direct from royal purple.

JAYSBAD#$%300EX
06-26-2004, 01:28 AM
((STOCK HONDA 2000EX ))Were are some good stores OR WEB SITES TO get amsoil OIL'S, ( I LIVE IN (AKRON, OHIO) P.S. ALLWAYS LOOKIN FOR NEW RIDERS OF ALL KINDS , AND EXSPECIALLY ALLWAYS NEW AREAS (( I LIKE THE SOUND OF WHAT ALL OF YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS OIL )) and just to let you all know THIS IS A complete stock motor 400ex ((NOT FOR LONG IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ))DIDN'T KNOW IF IT MATTER or noT. Just would like to know a good "weight TYPE" OF AMSOIL, OR IF YOU KNOW OF SOME OTHER GREAT QUAD OIL'S. I' m putin in a brand new K/N oil filter in FROM KNOW ON when i CHANGE THE OIL "IF ANYONE OUT THERE MIGHT HAVE SOME K/N OIL FILTERS I WOULD LIKE to talk to you about getting somemore, HOPEFULLY ""CHEAPER"" THAN THE ONE I GOT $RAPE$ ON PLEASE PM OR EMAIL ME if you have one or more To $sell or trade$ My bike SHE'S been GETTIN PRETTY NOISE IN THE TOP END latley, IF YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN ( IS THAT NORMAL FOR A 2000400ex, OR 300 FOR THAT MATTER , I've ALLWAYS HAD A 97300ex the noise has allways been there but it still runs strong as heak AND DON'T SMOKE ,sure could use some addvce on those NOISE'S I HEAR IN BOTH BIKE'S BEFORE WE TOOK OFF THE OTHER DAY I CHECK THE OIL AND WAS A LITTLE LOW, "DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKIN" , FILLED WHAT IT NEEDED WITH SOME STANK a#$ SCRAPALUBE MADE BY SCRAPAMAHA, YAMALUBE, BIG TIME JUNK OIL I THINK IF YOU ASK ME!WHEN'T FOR A LITTLE RIDE NOT EVEN 15 MIN. AND IT SOUNDED REALLY REALLY BAD FU#K%N MORE MONEY PROBLEY ""DO NOT ADDVISE THE USE OF THIS STUFF FOR HONDAS!! :D :D AUTO ZONE OIL IS PROB BETTER :D :D :D :D :devil: :devil: ((( INPUT NEED MORE INPUT :D PLEASE HELP I KNOW YOU GUYS KNOW YOU SH#$)( THANKS AGAIN(( # NEW NAM JAYSBADA#$400EX ))

06-26-2004, 09:49 AM
wow...im having a migraine or something after trying to read that

GoOn3
06-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Turrets syndrome. Yelling...talking softly...yelling...

wvspeedfreak
06-28-2004, 06:31 PM
I think someone needs riddlin.

UglyMotha™
06-29-2004, 07:56 AM
i got a sentance into that and gave up :huh :confused:

KHB
06-29-2004, 07:57 AM
I run Amsoil 20w-50 in the summer and 0w-40 in the winter. It gets ridden hard and two oil changes a year one in the spring and one in the fall. Amsoil and some other oils are completely safe for clutches. Just do your homework to find the right oil. Once I got that dinsour oil out and put in the Amsoil notice a difference right away. It ran cooler and flet snappier. Good stuff recommend it to anyone. Hell run Amsoil 15W-50 in my truck with 175,000 mile on it, and I do an oil change in that once a year or every 25,000 miles. I do change the filter though. 17,000 mile on the oil in my truck right now and I have only consumed 1/2 a quart in that many miles. Not bad for a truck that see daily abuse. Can't beat Amsoil I know people with over 300,000 mile on engins that have run Amsoil since new. Also know people who run Amsoils bypass filter system that go 100,000 + miles between changes, and they have zero breakdowns do to lubrication issues. Simply but the stuff works.

Quadzilla
06-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Don't think that I would wait that long to do oil changes in my vehicles no matter how good the oil was. To each his own I guess....

KHB
06-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah I can understand the intial shock value of that information. But you can send in a sample of oil and every aspect of it will be tested by and outside lab. They will check the condition of all the additives and the property strength of them. Also looked are the levels of forgin object and metal content. The additive that go into these oils and other oil are so good today that they have a long life, and as long as you have a good filtration system and do proper filter replacement you can get long life out of oil. As an example the Amsoil bypass filter system has two filter. One is a more standard type oil filter and the second is a 1 micron filter that filters small quaities of oil so that the engine is not starved of oil and I believe that at and avg RPM the the entire oil in the engine goes through this filter once every 15 to 20 minutes. Just talke to anybody that has used this oil for some time and you will hear some amazing stories. Top quality stuff. Depending on the application Amsoil is your best bet on a lot of things. I am not willing to say it is the best but they have products that are awesome. It all depends on your application and use. If you do some digging you can find an oil that will work perfect for you. Amsoil just fits my needs on some thing. On some other things I have found a better solution but I did a lot of research. Education is the answer to everything.