PDA

View Full Version : shortening of shocks

vetteblues10
06-22-2004, 10:25 AM
i am looking to get some new shocks for my 400. i see alot of used ones out there. i know you can get them revalved depending on weight, but can you also get them re-worked to fit on stock a-arms. so you have a set of shocks for +2 a-arms, can you send them our and set them up for stock a-arms. thanks for any help.

zephead400ex
06-22-2004, 10:42 AM
I am not sure if that can be done, maybe different springs. However, the money you would pay to have them 'shortened' you could buy some +2 a-arms and be way ahead.

vetteblues10
06-22-2004, 11:30 AM
sounds good enough to me

cdalejef
06-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Shocks for extended arms and stock length arms are the same lengths and will only need to be revalved/resprung. The only way the shocks will be longer is if they are for long travel arms.

wilkin250r
06-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Sometimes it takes more than one post for somebody to believe, so I'll reiterate what Jeff just said.

The shocks for stock A-arms and +2 a-arms are the exact same length. The shocks mount in the exact same place. The only difference is the strength of the spring, and the internal valving. The shocks for +2 a-arms are much stiffer, but the physical dimensions are exactly the same.

So, if you buy shocks for +2 a-arms, and put them on your stock a-arms, they will fit perfectly. They won't perform correctly, but they fit just fine.

Long Travel shocks are a different story. They are physically longer.

vetteblues10
06-23-2004, 06:52 AM
thanks guys, i know you probably answered that same question a thousand times. i really don't know that much about shocks so i was just wondering if it could be done.