PDA

View Full Version : Has HMF built the ultimate pipe?

dhines
06-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Selecting the best pipe for my new YFZ was not an easy decision. As a woods racer, I wanted a pipe that would provide the best low-end torque without compromising the YFZ's awesome mid and top end. I was also looking for a "quiet-core" option in the event that the various racing series I'm involved with began cracking down on the DB's.

After doing some research I narrowed my options to the Sparks, the standard HMF, and the HMF Bill Ballance Edition. I ran a Sparks on my 400EX and was very happy with its performance and my dad is currently running one on his YFZ. However, Sparks did not currently have a quiet core and did not have a precise date when one would be available. That did not completely eliminate it from my list, but it did make me look harder at the options from HMF.

3-4 weeks ago, I put in a call to the guys at HMF and discussed the various configurations that they had available. They were extremely patient and thorough in explaining the differences between their pipes, and I decided on the spot to make the purchase.

Less than two weeks later, my brand new black, aluminum Bill Ballance edition pipe (full) arrived on my front porch. The Saturday after receiving it, I rode out with the boy to my dad's house and got the pipe installed and jetted. For once in my life, I got the jetting absolutely spot-on the first time and the machine cranked over with a meaty-sounding roar.

Let's just say that this pipe is not for riding around the neighborhood. I have no idea what the decibel reading would be on it, but it is definitely in the "D@mn that thing is loud!" category. If you're a fan of a pipe with a gut rumbling 4-stroke grunt, this is the one for you. I honestly have not heard a better sounding pipe on a YFZ, but it will make your dog run for cover.

As to the performance, I'm not sure I can put into words how impressed I am with this thing. My first ride with it installed was frankly somewhat intimidating as I fought to keep my arms attached to my torso on the first high-speed run! Over two weeks later, I still grin when I think about how strongly my machine runs now. The engine is absolutely 100% stock with the exception of this pipe - no cam mod, no filter, and the air box lid is on. Jetting is the only other thing I've changed (stock needle on 5th clip, stock pilot 2.5 turns out, and a 170 main).

Even the old man was impressed at the power. The first thing he asked was how much I thought he could get for his Sparks pipe. I'm not ripping on the Sparks, I feel it is a great pipe, but yes, the HMF is absolutely THAT much stronger - top and bottom. Plus, as HMF advertises, the delivery is substantially evened out with the torque modifier. While the power is substantial, it is very linear, making the bike much easier to ride.

Sunday was my first race with the new machine. It was the Mid South race in Alabama. For those who were there or anyone who has raced it before, it is a TIGHT bugger of a track. My first lap was not particularly pretty as I am still getting used to the machine and I am not exactly in race-shape at the moment - plus, I am still running on the stock shocks which are a little stiff for CC racing.

However, when I started the second lap, I began to get into a groove and found that I could lug the machine in 3rd gear for the majority of the track - something I'm not sure I could have done on my modded 400. This setup has so much torque that I don't think I'm going to need the heavier flywheel I was planning to purchase.

I honestly can not recommend this pipe enough - for any type of riding. The power gains are amazing and I feel would be great for both CC and MX racing. The only area where the pipe falls short is volume. You WILL NOT be able to take this pipe anywhere sound restrictions are in place. However, if you are looking for an absolutely fantastic race setup, look no further. It may honestly be the ultimate YFZ pipe…

Dennis

p.s. I am in no way affiliated with HMF - or any other manufacturer for that matter. The opinions above are nothing but my honest impressions of this pipe. Take them for what they are worth.

Doibugu2
06-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Good review. I really like my HMF on my 400. I still get a stupid grin because it sounds so good.:D

06-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Dennis do you have the quiet core installed???

06-22-2004, 12:18 PM
What is HMF?

dhines
06-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Dennis do you have the quiet core installed???

Nope. I didn't have a single person pass me (except on the start) during the entire race on Sunday - I think the noise and concussion of air this thing puts out kept 'em off my *****. :macho

REDRIDER7
06-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Dennis,

Good review! I'm looking at getting a pipe for my yfz 450 and I've been looking for a unbiased opinion. I talked to HMF today and was very pleased with their service and technical advise.

Do you have the carbon fiber Ballance Pro Pro Series Pipe? If so how does the torque modifier work exactly, and does the mounting bracket look like it will stand up to the abuse of CC/MX riding?

CTmxyfz
06-22-2004, 07:00 PM
I hace the HMF BB carbon fiber pipe and im an MX racer. Ill let you guys know how it runs this weekend.

dhines
06-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDER7
Dennis,

Good review! I'm looking at getting a pipe for my yfz 450 and I've been looking for a unbiased opinion. I talked to HMF today and was very pleased with their service and technical advise.

Do you have the carbon fiber Ballance Pro Pro Series Pipe? If so how does the torque modifier work exactly, and does the mounting bracket look like it will stand up to the abuse of CC/MX riding?

No, mine is the aluminum. Unless you are fanatical about weight or looks, I'd recommend it over the carbon fiber unit. According to HMF, the performance is the same, but the durability will obviously be better with aluminum. Fiber has the "cool" factor, but I'm all about performance, not looks.

The torque modifier takes some of the "hit" out of the YFZ power curve. I can't speak to the exact physics behind it, but I'm sure it is a balance (no pun intended) between back pressure and flow at the muffler.

Also, I can't honestly say that my opinion is completely unbiased. I have only ridden a YFZ's with four different pipes - stock with end cap removed, Sparks, HMF with Quiet Core, and my Ballance edition. Of those, the Ballance HMF is by far the superior pipe. There may be another pipe out there that compares to it, but I think you would be hard pressed to find one significantly better.

06-22-2004, 08:57 PM
I have a full system HMF for sale for the YFZ. Its the candy blue. Contact me if interested..great condititons..have pics also.

SRH
06-27-2004, 12:27 AM
my buddy as a hmf pipe with a 180 main and cam mod, that thing is a beast he even has the lid on still, im running all stock with dr d slip on and im super pleased with how my power is, its there when i need it but its not overwhelming and doesnt have any crazy power hit

TRX250R22
06-27-2004, 08:34 PM
I just put on the HMF Full System on mine...words dont explain the power gains...goes from near pulling arms off, to pulling arms off;) :p

warrior369
06-27-2004, 08:50 PM
my hmf on my warrior is louder than my friends brand new fmf titanium 4 on his new 400... so whats that got to say

#1speedbump
06-28-2004, 12:08 AM
That you need to repack your silencer:eek: Noise does not always mean better, but in most cases it results in the closing of our riding areas:mad:

warrior369
06-28-2004, 07:52 AM
the pipe is brand new as well is the bike. it doesnt need repacking.