PDA

View Full Version : pipes, how important is the heat transfer?

cals400ex
06-22-2004, 01:48 AM
some of you could have heard me say this before. i put an x-6 on my bike and i was no where near impressed. my buddies x-4 plain and simple outperforms it (even on our 406's at 10.8:1 with hotcams). as a matter of fact, it outperforms it most in the upper gears. our bikes are very similar and so is our jetting so i know that isn't the problem. the only difference is mine is stainless steel and my buddies is ceramic. i realize the ceramic will retain heat. the increased heat in turn speeds up the velocity. i just can't see this making too much difference. on the other hand, i hear everyone saying sparks x-6 is the best and most people do run the ceramic x-6. i would love to test a ceramic one vs my stainless steel one just for comparison. what happens actually with my bike is that it seems to start fading when you hit 4th gear. the first 3 gears are fine. 5th gear is worst. i don't know if the stainless pipe doesn't retain the heat good enough, mainly in the upper gears, or what the heck the deal is. do you actually think the ceramic can make a noticable difference?

by the way, my pipe is in the process of getting coated now. i will see if that makes a difference. also, i don't know what metal the ceramic pipes are made out of. possibly that metal is thicker or retains heat better also??