PDA

View Full Version : HotCam Question

Got_Mort03
06-21-2004, 10:38 PM
i am in the process of putting a 440 kit in my 400ex and i have got a 11:1 Comp. Wiseco piston and a hotcam stage 1, with the new cam will my valves hit the piston or will it be alright, if i have to set the lash, etc. how do i measure that to find out, also any comments on how to make the installation easier would be great....thanks for the help.

TC426EX
06-21-2004, 10:57 PM
No the piston wont hit the valves... I put a hotcam in my buddy's 400 and it goes like this... There should have been a little card that came with the cam that says the valve clearances and all that. If you lost it, just call up hotcams and they will give you the specs no problem. You have to remove the auto decompression unit to use that cam first after the head is all disassembled. KEEP TRACK of the little dowel pim that holds the cam in place on the non chain side!! If you lose it youre screwed and youll have to get it from honda who is usually backordered on them... Anyway, youll have to transfer the gear from your stock cam onto the hotcam. Make sure you do this carefully and put a few dabs of loctite on the little bolts that hold it on. You want to use plenty of assembly lube throughout the whole process up there. Get the chain on and move the piston up to Top Dead Center (check the timing mark to be sure) and check your chain tension. You want all the timing marks to line up on the cam etc. To check the lash just use a feeler guage and set it to the correct clearance. You want to run the bike above 3000 rpms gently for a light trail ride or around the block, or whatever for a little while but dont beat on it. After the bike has been ridden youll want to check and adjust the clearance a second time. If you have any other questions PM me or call Hotcams and they will guide you through it. Its no too difficult of a job but its critical that its done right...

cals400ex
06-22-2004, 01:37 AM
i actually just called hotcam today and they said .005 for intake and .006 for exhaust valves. they said the stage 1 and 2 both go to these same clearances. however, on the card that came with my buddies stage 1 had larger clearances than the card that came with my stage 2. it almost seems like their stuff isn't fully researched out and tested the way it should be. i don't know.

serpent
06-22-2004, 07:27 AM
i heard when you put a hotcams stage 1 in 400ex
the valve clearence in .15 intake .16 in exhaust is that measure correct?:confused:

MIKE400EX
06-22-2004, 07:33 AM
That would be .15 & .16 millimeters not inches (if that's what the cam card says). As Cal said, .005" Int. & .006" Exh. works.

Got_Mort03
06-22-2004, 07:54 AM
i have to take the decompressor off my stock cam and put it on the hotcam????? there is a card that says to not remove gear holder from this camshaft it does not use the decompression mechanism, also remove the plunger and spring from the cylinder head. that is what the paper said that came with my cam. the card that came with cam says valve lash .13mm for intake, and valve lash for the exhaust is .15mm and the lift for both is 9.0mm
anymore help would be great:D

cals400ex
06-22-2004, 08:41 AM
the decompressor is NOT used and you Must remove the spring and plunger.

UglyMotha™
06-22-2004, 01:36 PM
forget about the decompressor just leave it on your stock cam it's no longer required with the hot cam, just follow the directions that came on the paper you speak of there correct, also don't put any assembly lube on your cam lobes if you notice the lobes are roughed up that is so your rocker arms will break in and contour to the cam by applying assembly lube is like putting synthetic motor oil on it, so just use straight motor oil and then change your oil shortly after cause there will be metal shavings in it now, usally best thing to do is right before you fire it up pour bout a cup of regular motor oil in the head right thru one of the valve adjustment caps

JOEX
06-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
forget about the decompressor just leave it on your stock cam it's no longer required with the hot cam, just follow the directions that came on the paper you speak of there correct, also don't put any assembly lube on your cam lobes if you notice the lobes are roughed up that is so your rocker arms will break in and contour to the cam by applying assembly lube is like putting synthetic motor oil on it, so just use straight motor oil and then change your oil shortly after cause there will be metal shavings in it now, usally best thing to do is right before you fire it up pour bout a cup of regular motor oil in the head right thru one of the valve adjustment caps
Assembly Lube......

Does Hot Cams say not to use assembly lube? Are other drop in cams put in without assembly lube?

I'm not questioning you in a negative way, just want to clarify things;)

cals400ex
06-23-2004, 01:22 AM
from hotcams site:

breank in of this cam is very important and you should adhere to the procedure to this letter. a phosphate coating is used to assist with break in, it will change color in the wear areas of the camshaft as it breaks in. it is also very miportant to use plenty of a NON-molybdenum based engine assembly lubricant. put assembly lube in the camshaft supports in the cylinder head. liberaly apply assembly lube to all wear points of the camshaft and rocker arms and bearings.

UglyMotha™
06-23-2004, 08:53 AM
can't argue with the manufactuer :o http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bowdown.gif