PDA

View Full Version : OT: Car brake problems...

sly400ex
06-21-2004, 08:30 PM
I posted the below thread on another site, but I thought maybe someone from here may have a possible cause or solution too!!:cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, great site!!!! Now to my problem.... I have a 1992 Lumina w/3.1 Sedan. My brakes have been bad for some time now, so I fianlly got around to replacing ALL the pads, rotors, and calipers. Prior to the replacement of all the parts, the pedal would have to be pressed almost all the way to the floor before the brakes would start to engage. Well, I thought this was due to all the old parts. Now that everything is new, the pedal has to still be pressed almost all the way before the brakes start to engage. I have bled the brakes twice thoroughly (once with the motor runnning, once with out)...it doesn't seem like an air in the brake line problem, because it never does go all the way to the floor...

Could I have a bad master cylinder? Also, I heard that there might be some sort of shaft inside the cylinder that may have to be adjusted, is this possible? Could I have air in the master cylinder that isn't showing out at the end of the lines? (I did let the whole brake system open for a while, there was hardly any, if any at all, brake fluid in the master when I started to bleed them.)

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!!!!