PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem

Florida400EX
06-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Well, today my steering stem bent way outta wack. I will be looking to get an aftermarket one, that is better. I ride MX, and my front end is all stock except the works shocks with rezzies. I have Renthal 7/8 bars. I'd like to know which steering stem is a really good one to buy, in the $200 range.

Thanks

TC426EX
06-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Ill tell you what man, dont WASTE your money on a stem. I bent my Arens stem almost as bad as a stock one after a small crash. The ONLY advantages to an aftermarket stem are that most come with anti vibe mounts, (and they dont make THAT much of a difference), some have a tighter turning radius, and they look cool... Bottom line is that although they are stronger to a certain degree, all aftermarket stems are made to bend to a certain point to avoid snapping off your headstay on your frame. I dont think anyone warranties stems because they KNOW you are gonna bend them. You are better off getting a stock one and having a tube welded down the inside of the shaft. Or just keep buying stock ones on ebay and ruining them and throwing them out. Im sorry I bought an aftermarket stem and definitely wouldnt reccomend it unless you DONT crash at all which is unlikely. If you insist on getting one, the only ones I know are under 200 bucks are the burgards, and you can buy those new on ebay as well. Other than that youll have to look in classifieds and on ebay for a good deal on a used Laeger or Roll or something. You will bend those too though rest assured....

Florida400EX
06-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, sounds like a chitty situation to me. I don't know if all the bearings are bad, cause its bent weird. It's bent all the way at the top, near where it goes through the frame, and looks like she's going to be stuck in there.

TC426EX
06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Nah, it cant be stuck. Just undo the 2 bolts in the clamp at the top after you take your front plastic off and undo the giant nut on the bottom of the stem and it will pull right up and off. Check your headstay when it is off for stress or cracks, it may already be bent. If it is youll want to get the cracks welded and a small gusset put in if possible. Even if the bearings are toast I know the bottom ones are not that expensive at all, and neither is the top bushing. TM makes an aftermarket bushing that is supposed to be good, but I wouldnt get it unless it is less than OEM on that one. Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions...

Dave400ex
06-21-2004, 09:48 PM
I believe RPM might warranty their's, but that would be it. I have an Arens also, and after a year or more it's still in brand new shape. I don't think I have flipped it in a very long time though.

hondarider2006
06-22-2004, 01:29 AM
I ordered a +1 from burgard, and it was a +1 and anti-viberate. When it gets here, and I get to ride with it installed, I will let you know how I like it. BTW it was $200 even;)

cals400ex
06-22-2004, 01:50 AM
what is the purpose of the +1 stems?

hondarider2006
06-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex

For us 6' tall people, so we don't have to bend down that extra 1";)

TCracin440ex
06-22-2004, 03:58 AM
ok...heres my opinion on stems....my friend bends them all the time...he buys stockers tho.....he has bought 2 stockers...and when he bends 1 he has another stocker to replace a bent 1...he takes a bent 1 to a machine shop and they straighten it back out for him...it looses a lil bit of strenght but o well....another reason why his stems bend so much is because he is running renthal bars and when it flips the handle bars dont bend....the stem does....id much rather be replacing handle bars than steering tem

TC426EX
06-22-2004, 05:00 AM
I agree about that TC... I am running renthals too and that is the reason I bend stems... Those bars DO NOT bend!!!!

hondarider2006
06-22-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I am running renthals too and that is the reason I bend stems... Those bars DO NOT bend!!!!

I am also running these bars, and have about 4 bad wreaks/roles with them, and this last one did them in finaly. They arn't toast, but for some reason they were bent a little, and my stem was straight. I Guess thats what happens when your going about 60 down the side of a road, and hit a semi truck tire in the grass......Long story short, I ended up in the hospital:o

TCracin440ex
06-22-2004, 05:22 AM
im running tag x-5 and i love my tags...alot better bar imo than renthal...

Florida400EX
06-22-2004, 09:32 AM
ok, well I'm only 5'10", and I ride pretty low. So, there is a way to straighten out my stocker? Does anybody know of a machine shop in south florida, preferably in the Palm Beach area that can straighten out my stockstem?

thanks

TCracin440ex
06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
well since i dont live in fl. i cant say that i do...but you can check your phone book....or if you want to buy a new 1...go to www.troy-racing.com and order 1

Florida400EX
06-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Well, I have a race on saturday, and was plannning on missing it since the crash, but if I can get it repaired in time, I can race.

TCracin440ex
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
its only tuesday at 12:00...try and looking in a local phone book for a machine shop...it wont even take a few hrs to fix it...my buddy had his done in about 45 mins....but it could be different in your case if they are backed up

Mikey
06-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex

To clear larger gas tanks and with CR hi-bend bars it gives a more comfortable riding position.

Florida400EX
06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
I think I'm going to be going with a Burgard +1 stem, with Tag CR bend bars from C&D racing! It's around $280 which doesnt seem so bad. Let me know what you guys think about this setup.

thanks

Mikey
06-22-2004, 12:14 PM
That is what I have. It is very comfortable. No complaints except the handle bar pad needs to be moded to fit the Burgard clamp. That is a good price.

brazilian rider
06-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Ill tell you what man, dont WASTE your money on a stem. I bent my Arens stem almost as bad as a stock one after a small crash. The ONLY advantages to an aftermarket stem are that most come with anti vibe mounts, (and they dont make THAT much of a difference), some have a tighter turning radius, and they look cool... Bottom line is that although they are stronger to a certain degree, all aftermarket stems are made to bend to a certain point to avoid snapping off your headstay on your frame. I dont think anyone warranties stems because they KNOW you are gonna bend them. You are better off getting a stock one and having a tube welded down the inside of the shaft. Or just keep buying stock ones on ebay and ruining them and throwing them out. Im sorry I bought an aftermarket stem and definitely wouldnt reccomend it unless you DONT crash at all which is unlikely. If you insist on getting one, the only ones I know are under 200 bucks are the burgards, and you can buy those new on ebay as well. Other than that youll have to look in classifieds and on ebay for a good deal on a used Laeger or Roll or something. You will bend those too though rest assured....

What do you guys think of that? Welding the stem would fix the problem?
Also could someone post a pic of a headstay in the frame? I have no idea what that is.

06-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by brazilian rider
What do you guys think of that? Welding the stem would fix the problem?

Don't do it..:cool:

Florida400EX
06-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Well, I decided to go with a stock stem, cause with the way I ride, it's gonna break again :macho . $40 vs. $200 is a BIG difference. How are tag CR bend bars, on a stock stem? Too low? I'm 5'10" and I tend to ride pretty low, and I ride MX. From what i've been hearing, aftermarket ones bend just as easy almost. But I definetly need new bars, I bent my renthals :eek2: !!!

Florida400EX
06-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, I just picked up a brand new stock stem off ebay for $65 shipped! Can't wait to ride again!

cals400ex
06-24-2004, 10:15 AM
on service honda they are $47 plus shipping.

Mikey
06-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
How are tag CR bend bars, on a stock stem? Too low? I'm 5'10" and I tend to ride pretty low...

If you run Tag T2s or Pro Tapers you will need fat bar adapters that bolt on to the stock stem. They raise the bars up about 5/8". Before I had my stem, I ran that and it was comfy. I have a nice Billetware fat bar adapter for sale if you want it.

JrdSHIFT450r
06-30-2004, 09:30 AM
next time check out jrd racing stems they are fully adjustable and they work great never bent one check them out at

www.jrdmech.com