PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Brake Pads

ZSK
06-21-2004, 07:32 PM
I've been replacing my pads with whatever the dealer has in stock. Usually heavy duty pads, I think emgo is the brand. They work good and last about 3/4's that of OEM and are about half the price. My problem is that they are usually too thick to fit in the caliper even with the piston compressed. I almost always end up forcing the pads in and then riding will eventually grind away the excess away until it rolls freely. I don't have a parking brake block off, yet. That is coming shortly. The P brake is always adjusted out far enough that it isn't a problem when installing the pads. Shoud I just spend the little bit extra money and replace the pads with OEM each time?

TC426EX
06-21-2004, 09:23 PM
NO, brake pads are one of those never ending expenses. No matter what you get... "heacy duty", or "sintered" or "severe application", they all wear down fast and need replacing. I dont see any advantage to any of them. I have tried EBC's, the Emgo's, OEM's and some others. I havent tried Galfers or Brakking pads, so unless there is some miracle compound in those, I assume they wear out just as quick. If the rubbing bothers you alot then by all means get the OEM's if it will give you better peace of mind, but it would depend on how much more expensive they are if I was buying them... Being a honda part, I bet they are pretty expensive...

Dave400ex
06-21-2004, 09:53 PM
I have ran stock with good results, but am going to start using the DP Brakes pads. Most people seem to like the DP a lot.

Meek
06-22-2004, 01:24 AM
The key to long break pad life, is to clean the mud and crap out of the pads after every ride. Clean the slide pins, then coat them them with anti-seiz. I have 6 GNCC races on the same set of pads.

Wave roters seam to have made a big difference also.

redroost85
06-22-2004, 09:12 AM
My rears were pretty much gone and one of my sponsors gave me a set of Magnum pads for $20. They work just fine for me and I run mx too. Heck, I'm not on the brakes that much anyways, lol!:blah:

Just put them on yesterday in fact.:)

muff
06-22-2004, 02:54 PM
you have to realize if your rotor is scratched up the pads will wear down very quick no matter what ones you have on there. this will happen if you run the pads when there is no pad left and it is just metal against metal. riding in muddy conditions will wear them down quicker, but just clean them up after

i have also had good luck with the galfer wave rotors and pads :D i have new front rotors i need to install to :p