PDA

View Full Version : Building a track

jcs327
06-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I finally got the ok from the wife to build my long-wanted track in the back 40. I have about 4 acres to work with, more if I need it. I want to keep it small enough to be able to maintain, but not too small to use. It has a good natural table top that I want to use, but there is going to have to be a sharp turn immediately on landing. does anyone have any tips on building it?

devildriver422
06-21-2004, 07:19 PM
wut u shud do is plan where u want it to turn n stuff, then ride around it, make the berms, and wen its smooth and everything then make a jump or 2 and c where a good spot is for something else. like make the table good and everything, then hit it, turn, and c where u want the next jump and so on...also, get some whoops, rythms, doubles, and maybe triples

400EXracer74
06-21-2004, 08:26 PM
turns right after jumps arent too bad me and my friend have a 40 foot double with a turn 20 feet after the landing and its not bad and another one of my friends has a turn 30 feet after a 60 foot double and they are both fine

jcs327
06-21-2004, 08:39 PM
On the natural table top, it is about 30 feet with a nice gradual downslope landing. the turn is a left turn right at the end of the slope. I could always have everyone run the other way, but running clockwise on an mx track just seems backwards. If I cad add 10 feet, I think it would solve the problem. One thing I am concerned about is the liability issue. I need to find some kind of waiver to have folks sign, I just don't know how to word it.

humboldt hills
06-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by jcs327
On the natural table top, it is about 30 feet with a nice gradual downslope landing. the turn is a left turn right at the end of the slope. I could always have everyone run the other way, but running clockwise on an mx track just seems backwards. If I cad add 10 feet, I think it would solve the problem. One thing I am concerned about is the liability issue. I need to find some kind of waiver to have folks sign, I just don't know how to word it.

My best advice is go to a track and see if they will let you keep a copy of the waiver you sign. Take it to a lawyer, I repeat "take it to a lawyer and make sure it pans out"
I make people sign one even if they are just watching because they are the ones that will sue you when they get ran over.
Another thing to think about is insurance. Until you are in this for awhile don't bring this up to your insurance company until you are ready to pay out the ying yang for it, because they will drop you once they hear you have a track. Very few companies will even insure this type of activity.
Good luck , its always nice to hear someone opening up a new track.
Jay

devildriver422
06-27-2004, 06:51 PM
not sure but i dont think hes building a public track

jcs327
06-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Actually, I want it to start as just a practice area for me and acouple of buddies. But if it catches on, I want to go public and have the first ATV only MX track in west TN.

300extreme#8
07-01-2004, 06:52 PM
i live in west tn,an atv only track would be nice.have u ever been to dry hill,they redid it.it looks totaly diff only thing that the same is the 80ft tabletop,but if i were u i'd just build it with everything that a good track would have,rythem,whoops,doubles, triples and tables, pm me where u live and stuff maybe we can work away to go ridin at a local track,and if u build the track and u let me and my friend come ride u'll need to build a freestyle jump for me hehe.j/k pm me

SHOCKER
07-01-2004, 07:42 PM
what ya can do is go to a local track and ask if they can give you dimensions of their quad track, take the paper home and work of it, make the turns like the one at the track but in a totally diferent shape, get it? or just design the style of the track ya want on the computer or on paper and figure it into the area, 4 acres will be big enough for 2 tracks, you should only need 2 acres for a decent size track. well for a mx track, i think you will do a great job

also for us, is the land flat and clear of trees or what? are you going to have a track through the trees and is it flat?

jcs327
07-02-2004, 04:45 PM
300extreme, are you talking about the track near dyresburg?email me at jcs327@yahoo.com

NTPRacing#19
07-02-2004, 05:36 PM
nah use all 4 acres man, 2 acres is waaaay to small for anything worth building, if your gonna spend time building a track make it sick and big.

why do you have to change anything after that table top? a 30ft table right into a left hand turn will be good for you and add some difficulty to the track.

use as much natrual elevation change you can muster. it makes for a fun and fast track

throw in a few off camber turns for difficulty.

put in some doubles/tables you know you cant clear the first time, this will build confidence and hone your jumping skills.

and groom the track about once a month or once every two months depending how much you ride it, the rougher you let it get the better training for you, but groom the lips of the jumps if they get to the point of being dangerous.

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME drawing it out on paper or on a computer, you will always change it in your mind and go with your gut instinct on things. it will make for a better track.

jcs327
07-02-2004, 11:37 PM
what concerns me about the table top being so close to the turn is the woods just beyond the turn. one good piece of air and you are in the trees.

NTPRacing#19
07-03-2004, 07:08 AM
like i said, hone in your skills, being fast does not include going absolutly huge. you can also build a big ol berm to rail off of