PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new clutch

t_dig
06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
My friend was riding my 01' 400ex when it stalled on him. He started it back up, put it in gear, popped the clutch and it wouldn't go anywhere. You can put it in 1st gear, let the clutch out and it will just sit there. It won't even stall. However, if you give it some gas, you can see the drive sprocket slightly start to rotate, but never has enough torque to move the bike. My guess is that the clutch is gone. What do you think? and how hard of a fix would it be?

FF1O5
06-21-2004, 06:50 PM
sounds like the clutch,try adjusting it on the right side under the header(follow the cable down) or at the bars.its not a hard job at all especially if you have a manual.If your up to it pull the right side case cover off and the clutch will be in there,inspect the plates for wear,and replace if nessasary.if your not sure how to do it buy a manual instead of having a dealership do it because it is easy and you might need the manual for future mods anyway:D just make sure you order the clutch cover gasket too.

cals400ex
06-21-2004, 09:44 PM
if it won't even go, the clutch is fried. i would make sure it is his clutch and not one of his sprockets totally rounded off. if it is his clutch, i would make sure you change the oil a couple of times fairly quick after you get it back together so you get all of the clutch fibers out of there.

4wheelboy
06-21-2004, 10:02 PM
mine did the same thing in a race
after putting a new clutch in it did it agian. after dnfing 2 motos i finally relized the cable was too tight an it wouldint let the clutch disengage. losen your cable up alittle and give it a try:(

MichaelS693
06-21-2004, 11:51 PM
clutch????:confused: yes you need new clutch plates

t_dig
06-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Thank you guys so much for replying. I did find that there was absolutely no play in the clutch cable. I adjusted it down by the case so that there it just a little slack prior to the cable moving the clutch lever on the case. It is working fine now. It is wierd because I just had ridden it for about a half a day. When my friend got on it, he didn't know how to ride and was really riding the clutch like crazy though. Anyway, should I order a new clutch anyway since I had to adjust it quite a bit for it to work?

cals400ex
06-22-2004, 02:14 PM
i have a feeling there won't be much left to the fibers by how it was acting. i would put a new one in, but some would wait until the last minute.

JIMFROMTEXCO
06-22-2004, 02:50 PM
yea i think my clutch is toast in my 330. when you romp on the gas it goes up in the rpms but speed dosnt increase. gonna tear the cover off and look any suggestions on what clutch i should go with? id like to put sumthing in that grabs hard. thanks

JIMFROMTEXCO
06-22-2004, 02:51 PM
yea i think my clutch is toast in my 330. when you romp on the gas it goes up in the rpms but speed dosnt increase. gonna tear the cover off and look any suggestions on what clutch i should go with? id like to put sumthing in that grabs hard. isnt there a way you can tell by the way the oil looks to? my cousin was saying if its like greyish its toast

chucked
06-22-2004, 03:20 PM
How did it stall, did it just stall for no reason, or was it under too much of a load????

promisc
06-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Dont be affraid to open your clutch cover and check what is going on. Im not an expert and i fixed my clutch problem by replacing the 5 springs for EBC heavy duty but mine was still working, it was only slipping at high RPM. Frictions and steel plates was still in very good shapes.

You will need a new gasket and oil. If the plates seems to be used abnormally, or steel plates are like blue or black, buy a new kit, there is a good deal at RockyMountain, The Tusk Clutch Kit for 35$. To check your plates, removes all bolts of the clutch cover and those 5 bolts that holds the pressure plate.

Tusk Clutch Kit with EBC Springs (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/wc.dll?wwrmatv~type_name~0004826001~CLUT~CLUTCH~Tu sk+Clutch+Kit+With+Heavy+Duty+Springs~T19572~~~~0)