PDA

View Full Version : A-arm skids for aftermarket arms?

03-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Okay, so I just got done spending all this cash on my a-arms and shocks and such, then I go boulder pounding and realize that I should probably protect my shiny new investment(s). Does somebody make plates for extended/aftermarket arms or is this gonna be a "joe's custom shop" type deal?

I can't imagine I'm the first guy with this question, so what do y'all think? Oh, in my case arms are +2 houser long-travels on a 400EX, but I'm sure others would have an interest as well.

Thanks.

Holty
03-26-2002, 08:57 AM
I asked the same thing awhile back in one of the huge a-arm posts, and nobody answered if I remember correctly. I guess just keep the front end in the air and hold on :)?

MOOCAZEN
03-26-2002, 12:53 PM
FATBOY RACING, HOW LONG DID YOU WAIT FOR YOUR A-ARMS AND SHOCKS, I GOT THE +2 LONG TRAVEL HOUSER, DO THEY LOOK DIFFERENT, IM RUNNING 16 INCH DUAL RATE DUAL ADJ COMP AND REB AXIS SHOCKS, I GOT MINE FAST CAUSE THEY HAD THE COLOR, IM REALLY WONDERING IF THEY LOOK THE SAME

mrusk
03-26-2002, 09:05 PM
MOOCAZEN- The reason your aarms dont look like the ones on the site is because you aarms for 16IN SHOCKS!! NOT 19IN!! I have told u this before!! The pics on the site are long travel 19in shock aarms. They have the low shock mount to take the longer shock.

THe only difference between your aarms and regular housers is the balljoints.

matt

400exRacerX
03-26-2002, 09:16 PM
I dont eevn think it would be possible to make a arm guard for the long travel arm since the bottom supporting brackets for the shock mount stick out below the a arm.

Dave400ex
03-27-2002, 05:30 PM
The Aftermarket A-Arms are Built so Strong nobody makes Skid Plates for them. Bill Ballance is Running a $2500 Lobo Setup and he doesn`t have A-Arm Skids. I don`t really think A-Arm Skids are Needed, just get a Full Chassis and Swingarm Skid.

03-27-2002, 09:10 PM
It took just over 3 weeks to receive my a-arms. I got the long travel with mounts for 19" shocks.

I NEED PLATES. I have a habit of "plowing" rocks, and it's often better to smash over the rock, than launch over the cliff trying to avoid said rock(s). If nobody makes them (and I honestly doubt somebody does), then I'll get to having some made, or I'll just have to learn to weld aluminum. Thanks for the input just the same.

Enjoy!

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 05:23 PM
If you are Hitting Rocks then I would want Skid Plates too. I have never heard or seen of any Skid Plates for Aftermarket A-Arms. You will have to have some Made. Let us know how they Turn Out.

mrusk
03-28-2002, 05:32 PM
After spending all the money on a front end like that, why would u want to go anywhere near rocks. No company makes aarm skids for aftermarket aarms. I think it will be impossble to make them for the long travel aarms.

When i get my quad done i wont ride any where near rocks!

matt

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 05:36 PM
Mrusk, You don`t try to Ride by Rocks on purpose, some times they just happen to Pop up. LOL. I have Hit many Rocks. I don`t worry about my A-Arms though. I don`t think many GNCC Racers have A-Arm Skids.

mrusk
03-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Yea WarriorMan, sometimes rocks do just pop up. You are right about the GNCC riders. I the pics in the magazines i never seen a rider with aarms skids.

matt

Dave400ex
03-28-2002, 06:04 PM
I think a lot of the Guys have +1 A-Arms too. If GNCC Guys don`t have any Problems with their Aftermarket A-Arms, I don`t think you will. If you want some Skids, try and make some. I don`t think they would Work good on Houser Long Travel Arms though.