PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with aftermarket exhaust and airbox mods

3hondas
08-27-2001, 06:19 PM
I have a question:
I recently upgraded my bike with a Pro Circuit header and T4 silencer. I had the dynojet kit installed. The bike is jetted for stage 1, with the dynojet146 main and the dynojet needle. I run a UNI filter with the airbox lid on.
I live in south florida which is below 3000 feet above sea level.
The bike runs great, but i want to know if any performance gains will be realized by going to stage 2 (removing airbox lid and jetting up to the recommended jet in the dynojet kit)

can anyone who has this or a similar setup provide any feedback?

skemp
08-27-2001, 06:33 PM
Removing the lid, especially with the exhaust setup you have will make quite a difference. Just think of it like this:
You could have a bunch of people working for you, and not let them eat or drink the whole day, but keep pushing them to work harder, and get some work done, or you could take the same people, let them eat and drink, and get a lot of work done.
Since you are letting more exhaust out of the motor, you will need to give it more air (and fuel i.e. jetting higher). Giving that beast more of what it craves will unleash it's full potential.

08-27-2001, 06:39 PM
i run stage 2 jetting without the lid. and if your not worried about getting stuff inside your box i'd recommend it. i heard somewhere that its like 1 or 2 hp. but im not sure about that.

08-27-2001, 07:36 PM
I ride alot of trails where muddy spots are unavoidable and didn't want to take my lid completely off. So I cut a 4"x8" hole in my lid and fastened
a metal rectangular ring to hold on an oiled foam filter to the bottomside of the lid. I run a PC T-4 silencer, 165 keihin main jet, stock pilot and stock filter and she kicks from bottom to top. Very responsive and smooth. I think if I do take the lid all the way off if it ever dries up,
I would need to bump the pilot jet up to a 42.
Tell us how it works out for ya'.
John
P.S. dyno jet #'s don't jive with keihin jet #'s. So, you can't compare them when jetting.