PDA

View Full Version : rear axle bearings quick question

trx300ex rider7
06-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Are the rear axle bearings hard to put in. I know that there is only 2 bearings and 2 seals, but is it hard.

95'trx300ex weisco, holeshots, nstyle graphics, jaws bumper, scott grips, dyno jet kit, fmf powercore 4, red oring chain, uni air filter, skidplate.

cals400ex
06-21-2004, 02:39 AM
the bearings don't like to come out of the carrier. however, most just put the whole carrier in the oven and then they will either fall out or come out after giving it a few taps with a mallet. i wouldn't say this job would be one of the hardest but just one i don't consider fun.

hondarider2006
06-21-2004, 02:46 AM
I would say the hardest part about changing the axle bearing for the first time is taking off the axle lock nut. Put the carrier in the over for a little while, and put the new bearings in the freezer, it will make changing them much easier;)

Sportrax10
06-21-2004, 08:10 AM
I hate changing them, your gonna pay a lot for the bearings... So IMO it you have the extra money get a whole new aftermarket carrier for your first time... Try www.burgardcycle.com

quadmxracer
06-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Funny story I just replaced mine yesterday afternoon. I was out on my buddies track a couple days ago and after about three hours of riding I heard this noise from the rear end. Sure enough it was my bearings they went out on me. But to answer your question no there not hard to replace just hard to get out sometimes. I got one set out and the other the bearings and the inner race came out and I had to cut the outer race with a good hard bit and die grinder. Also I want to point out that honda doesn't seem to put alot of grease in their bearings. I repacked mine with Silkolene RG-2 grease which is also water proof. I would suggest that you repack them so they last longer. Mine only lasted a year and a half. Im hoping they last longer now with ample grease in there. Its also a good idea to get all the o-rings brand new and also your dust seals when you buy bearings.

Part #'s
BEARINGS (x2): 91051-HA2-013
DUST SEAL (x2): 91252-HA2-003
O-RING, ROTARY CASE (x2): 91351-737-752
O-RING (x2): 91353-HA2-670

Hope this helps you man.

trx300ex rider7
06-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, I will use your stratagies when i get my axle bearings in.