PDA

View Full Version : Roll vs. Pro Design

slosh13
06-20-2004, 07:49 PM
I have heard mixed reviews on either shifter and I am now in the market to be buying one. My stock one has lost all its strength and does not perform. So between the Roll Design and the Pro Design, which shifter seems to be the strongest and will perform the best for a 400ex? I would prefer responses by people who have seen them work or actually have the Roll or Pro Design shifter, not people who say its good just because of the name. Thank you.:D

Pappy
06-20-2004, 07:52 PM
go pro design.....

my roll rusted in 2 days:rolleyes: over priced junk IMO:mad:

Quadzilla
06-20-2004, 08:00 PM
PD all the way. I was in the same place not too long ago. I was afraid of the Roll, being cast stainless, being potentially a harder material than my shaft and possibly stipping the splines off. The PD is billet alum and is slightly softer than the shaft and will strip out before your shaft will.

A guy on the Body forum said that he actually had to split his cases and replace his shaft because of this. That being said, I'd rather replace a $70 shifter than split my cases and replace a shaft. The PD is rather beefy and looks damn nice! You'll be happy!! :D ;)

Quadzilla
06-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
go pro design.....

my roll rusted in 2 days:rolleyes: over priced junk IMO:mad:

Hmmmm strange, the Roll is supposed to be stainless. Stainless is supposed to mean no rust. :confused: I got the Pro Design and don't have to worry about it anyway! ;)

slosh13
06-20-2004, 08:09 PM
well I was reading the powertrain forum and there was another member who said he had a PD and he claimed that he stripped the splines on the shifter. He went with the Roll being cast stainless but whos to say that the Roll wont strip either? Are these types of shifters reliable?

TC426EX
06-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Actually, whoever said that has it backwards... The PD is billet aluminum and if anything strips, IT will strip, not the splines. The shift shaft is hardened steel. On the other hand, people have had problems with the ROLL for stripping the splines since it is stainless steel and is much harder. Get the PRO DESIGN trust me man!! I use one and absolutely would never use anything else after trying it. If you look a little back in the powertrain section youll see that I just recently got my bike back together. Its a good thing you are switching the shift lever now, because I just BROKE my shift shaft using a stocker. I usually use my PD but I took it off for ONE weekend to get it anodized and threw my old stocker on. Well, it got bent under my case when I downshifted and when I went to upshift it SNAPPED the shift shaft right off. I had to split the cases, replace the shaft, all the gaskets, re hone the cylinder, do all the top end gaskets, swap out the rings, adjust the valves and basically do a COMPLETE rebuild just to fix that mother****er..... Do yourself a favor and look no further than the Pro Design, you WONT ruin it....

redroost85
06-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Hmmm, Pappy, I believe that I bought my Roll shifter off of you.:o Racing on it six months or so and all is still good....although I may look into this Pro Design shifter.:p

Pappy
06-21-2004, 08:02 AM
yeah i dont know what made it rust, but it did in the hoop area. it looked chromed to me so maybe roll has changed the material:confused:

06-21-2004, 08:03 AM
I've been using a Pro D billet shifter for 3 years and it's still workin just fine. I abuse the hell out of it and it's works great.

I agree with pappy about Roll being overpriced..:o

TCracin440ex
06-21-2004, 10:16 AM
doug roll has his head up his arse ne ways...hes a lil cocky because hes the 1 that founded gul wing a-arms

Chef
06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Design, I've got 4 of em and they all have been great.