PDA

View Full Version : carb questions

HondaChris
06-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Ok, I know the idle adjustment is the large screw/knob on the side of the carb. What is the small one right beside it facing the same way, right by teh choke lever? A friend of mine has been telling me that is the fuel/air screw, but I am sure that one is on the bottom of the carb, correct? And just for clarification, the fuel/air screw controls what? He says it controls the mixture all across the board. I am told by others it controls the mixture from idle to like 1/8 open or 1/4 open throttle. What is the setting for this air/fuel screw? I noticed the small screw on the side of the card right next to the idle adj. is screwed all teh way in, and when it is opened, gas comes from the overflow tube. Is that all this controls?
And one more, what compression is race gas required? I have an 11:1 piston stock bore in mine. Is a jetting change required (larger) to run race gas, or a 50/50 mix of 113 and pump premium?
I ask all of this as I just got back from a weekend trip to Silver Lake, adn found the bike to be running quite a bit hotter than normal. I went up from a 155 mj to a 160 while I was there. Oil level was fine, I run the Mobil 1 15-50. The only other thing I could think of it being (as I was on my way home) was maybe a valve out of adjustment? It started up just fine everytime, ran good, but was just alot hotter than normal, enough of a difference so I could feel it on my leg through my jeans. I run the Geckos in the sand, and changed to a 13 tooth front sprocket, if it matters any.
Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

JOEX
06-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Alot of questions there:p You may want to ask each one individually if you don't get the answers in this thread. I'll input what I can.....

The screw on the side is not the fuel screw, it's the drain screw, what it's for I don't know. The fuel screw is on the bottom and in front of the bowl. I belive it has an effect on all three fuel circuits.

From what I've read 11:1 is the cut off point for needing race gas or a mix of race gas.

The 13 tooth front sprocket probably had a large effect on the higher temps, higher RPMS=more heat.