PDA

View Full Version : Moving needle up a notch?

03-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, will I notice any difference if I move the needle up a notch in my carb? If so, would it be worth the effort? Thanks in advance.

NVR2L8
03-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Medic400ex...just want to make sure you understand that by moving the "clip up a notch", you actually lower the needle and cause it to run leaner from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. FYI, the more needle in the needle jet the more fuel it blocks so the leaner it runs. Conversely, if you want to richen it up in that range you "lower" the clip position to raise the needle allowing more fuel to flow past it. Anyway, the only way you'll know if it's worth the effort is to actually try it and see how it runs/responds. You should also try to find an area where you can do some before and after timed runs...also check the plug before making any adjustments and compare it once you move the clip on the needle.

03-26-2002, 11:48 AM
I was referring to moving the needle up a notch by lowering the clip, increasing fuel. I understand the principle behind this, but needed to know from you guys who have done it if it is worth the time. Thanks for the help.

03-26-2002, 11:59 AM
IF your still at stock needle clip position,,yeah with the add-ons you have I think it would be worth raising the needle one notch.

Wheelie
03-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Raise it, the benefits will be well worth your time.

03-26-2002, 02:34 PM
first of all, yes, do it.

Here's my experience. I had a pipe, 155mj, and 6 vented 1" holes in my airbox lid. worked great over stock. also, the pilot screw was turned out 1/2-3/4 over the stock setting for better starting. that worked somewhat better than the stock setting. 5th gear wheelies were obtainable easier than before with this setup, and it worked strong, clean and crisp.

Then I raised the needle 1 notch. while I was at it, I trimmed the intake flange. it had some plastic on the outside edges covering up the onpenig. put'er back together and fired it up. started awesome. before when it was cold, it would sputter if you gave it gas. Now I use a bit of choke to flash it up, and now it idles much better, and doesn't sputter when I give it small amounts of throttle.

As for performance, it is definatly stronger in the mid-range. wheelies easier. it spins the tires more and hits harder in the mid-range.

for 1/2 hour of work, it was well worth it.(If I was to do it again, it would probably take have that time, since now I know exactly what to do)
I'd say go for it. I don't know how it wound work on that mod alone(no pipe, or intake mods), but the stock EX's are lean. try it anyway, even if your bike is stock(I didn't look)
good luck.