PDA

View Full Version : How do you set preload/ride height?

ProConcept
06-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Ive been trying to learn more about suspention and would like to know how to set my ride height on my 450R (stock shocks) for my weight. Im wondering if the method for preload adjustment on this site http://off-road.com/atv/suspension/shockadj.htm#rebound is right. If not please tell me how to do it.

tkwarrior
06-20-2004, 02:35 PM
That's a pretty good article. Remember when setting preload the higher the nuts are the softer the suspension will be.

For my weight around 200lbs I have my preload set with 2 full turns left showing. My compression is set about 3/4 turn towards the soft side and my rebound is set about 1/2 turn towards hard.

I can't remeber off the top of my head what my compression/rebound on the rear is but I remember the preload is about the same as the front.

ProConcept
06-20-2004, 08:26 PM
any other thoughts? I really want to get this ride height thing down. I mean how do you balance it between the front and back (keeping it equal all the way though).

sparky450AR
06-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by ProConcept
any other thoughts? I really want to get this ride height thing down. I mean how do you balance it between the front and back (keeping it equal all the way though).

elka reccomends your bottom frame rail to be around 8.5 inches in the rear. Measure this just below the sidecase. In the front they reccomend 8.25-8.5 inches, measure this 2-3 inches from the front a-arms.

Remember measure these while your on the bike!

ProConcept
06-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
elka reccomends your bottom frame rail to be around 8.5 inches in the rear. Measure this just below the sidecase. In the front they reccomend 8.25-8.5 inches, measure this 2-3 inches from the front a-arms.

Remember measure these while your on the bike!

The bottom of the frame of the R tilts up as you go more toward the a-arms. How do you get a good front measurment? Also wouldnt those settings only be for elka shocks which sit lower anyway?

sparky450AR
06-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by ProConcept
The bottom of the frame of the R tilts up as you go more toward the a-arms. How do you get a good front measurment? Also wouldnt those settings only be for elka shocks which sit lower anyway?

I was always under the impression that an average ride height should be around 8.5-9 inches. And i know that if you weigh over 150LBS it is easy to get your 450R to 8.5 or even lower. This pic may not help, but the green marks are where you should measure ride height. The frame on the R only starts tilting up when the first a-arm is mounted. It does not tilt up before you get to the a-arms as you say.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=941603