PDA

View Full Version : ????Extended Swingarms (Pros and Cons!)????

markk
06-20-2004, 09:00 AM
I have heard that putting an extended swingarm on will help put more power to the ground without pulling the front wheels. With makes alot of sence, but i have also heard that extended swingarms will help the rear end slid around easier?

I'm just wondering what are some of the thing that everyone likes about there aftermarket swingarms, and some things they don't like, and is it worth my time and money to buy one?

What is everyones fav swingarm,

K_Fulk
06-20-2004, 06:17 PM
PROS: It seems like it stays flatter when you slide. Goes up hills a lot easier. Makes it a lot easier to ride in the woods with motor mods.

CONS: price and there heavier.

TC426EX
06-20-2004, 09:14 PM
I agree with everything FULK said. The only thing that MIGHT be considered a con is that you will lose A LITTLE of the tight turning ability but it will handle way more precise and put more power to the ground. Wayne from PEP told me that this was a MANDATORY mod for the 400ex with a built motor and I agree big time... As for brands, stay away from the Lonestar and Burgard, alot of People crack those all day long. The strongest ones are the Laeger, JB Racing or RPM NO QUESTIONS ASKED.... The next level down would be a Houser and I wouldnt even look at anything else....

user101
06-20-2004, 09:48 PM
i havent heard of anyone crackin a burguard swinger..i replaced my stock aluminum w/ a +1/4in. burguard swingarm and havent had any probs with it..

the only con i have noticed is it is a little and i mean very little harder to wheelie.

JOEX
06-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by user101
the only con i have noticed is it is a little and i mean very little harder to wheelie.
Isn't that the point of an extended swingarm?;) :)

cals400ex
06-21-2004, 02:55 AM
is it true that your bike may be a little slower with an extended swingarm on? i have heard this and i don't know if it is because you need a longer chain and there is more rotating mass or what. well anyways, one will be on my bike when i get her back together.

K_Fulk
06-21-2004, 09:43 AM
It may have a negligable amount less power on a dyno. But the better handling will more then make up for it

400ex_drummer
06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
the new predator has a shorter swingarm cos the big one ha too much wheelspin, so that could be a factor.

wilkin250r
06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
It may have a negligable amount less power on a dyno. But the better handling will more then make up for it

:huh :confused: :huh

How would the swingarm length affect the power on a dyno?

Ok, here's the scoop. An extended swingarm has two major advantages. The first and foremost is to keep the front end down. It doesn't give you more power, but it allows you to put that power to the ground a little better.

Imagine you are on a starting line, the gate drops, and you hit the gas. If your front end comes up, you have to let off the gas, or else you are on your back. If you are on your back at the start of the race, you probably aren't going to come in first place. So you let off the gas, which obviously slows you down. Now everybody is passing you because you had to let off the gas to keep your front end down, and now you're caught in the middle of the pack at the first turn pile-up. Not a good way to start a race.

Lets look at drag racing. If you have to let off the gas to keep your front end down, you just lost.

The other advantage of an extended swingarm deals with your swingarm angle with respect to the ground when you are landing, but don't worry about that.

The disadvantage of an extended swingarm is traction. To keep the front end down, you are obviously shifting your wieght bias foward, putting more weight on the front wheels. It then naturally follows that you have LESS weight on the rear wheels, which results in less traction. Also, if you get a HUGE extension, like 12 inches on some drag quads, it will handle and corner like chit.

A small extension will cause the rear to slide easier because of the traction issue. It will be much easier to spin the rear wheels, and thus causing it to slide. But a much longer swingarm, like a +4 or +6, will make it much more difficult for the rear to slide around. But, in my opinion, if you are trying to use a +6 swingarm on an MX or TT track that requires tight cornering, you are an idiot. Anything over +2 is for drag racing only.

K_Fulk
06-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Afew extra links, thats why I said a negligble amount. Not enough to notice anything. It would be about like a diffence between and o ring and non oring chain.

boogiechile
06-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
:huh :confused: :huh

But, in my opinion, if you are trying to use a +6 swingarm on an MX or TT track that requires tight cornering, you are an idiot.

Amen brother, tell it like it is.

The little extra length will also help it track straighter and not swap ends as easy in the rough stuff.