PDA

View Full Version : Raptor-good or bad?

YFZ450Ridr
06-18-2004, 10:01 PM
I was just wonderin if the raptor 660R overall is a good or bad quad. from what i can see about em they dont seem to bad. gimmie some input on what you think.

F-16Guy
06-18-2004, 10:27 PM
My brother's was really nice. The only two problems I had with it were:
1. It was a pain in the arse to work on, especially adjusting the chain and changing the front sprocket.
2. It doesn't rev like a 400ex. I guess that could be good or bad, but it signed off too early for me.

Overall, it was a really nice quad.

sportraxkid
06-18-2004, 10:29 PM
they have decent power but lack in reliablity and handiling. I thought about them and decided to get 400ex and im going to mod it.

YFZ450Ridr
06-18-2004, 10:40 PM
ya i thought about a 400ex but i do alot of trail riding and i like reverse, but then theirs the z400 which isnt bad.

TORO1968
06-18-2004, 10:43 PM
A lot of people on here will tell you that the Raptor is junk, but I have found that my brother's '03 model is a very nice quad.

He has had absolutely no problems whatsoever with his (crossing fingers that the one-way doesn't fail :eek2: ). It's a blast to ride, has tons of power, and responds very well to mods.

The only complaint I'd have against it is that it's a bit narrow, but other than that, the Raptor's all good! :)

-Jordan

honduh440
06-18-2004, 10:45 PM
hmmm

Mr.Offroad
06-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Raptor good!

Bretmd94
06-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I had one. It was a piece of junk. It was decent for dragging when it was running. The handling sucks really bad. All they want to do is wheelie and wreck. I beefed mine up a bit, and it blew up. They are a huge pain to work on and change oil. Jetting sucks more on that bike than any other bike i have ever touched. It is a pain.

My roomate has an 03 right now. Hes wishing he would have waited for a yzf. Right now on his the clutch is toast so he will have to have the motor pulled to change that.

They are torque monsters, but my 450r spanks my roomates raptor with out question. (we both have similar light mods).

I wouldnt do it. Raptors have very lame resale value. You might be able to pick a used one up for cheap. DO NOT BUY A NEW ONE. Especailly when you can get a yzf for a little more.

I sold mine and got a stock 400ex and i swear that i was happier with it than my almost drag raptor.

I would get a modded 400ex over it anyday.

Butters
06-19-2004, 12:37 PM
i would have to agree with Bretmd94 on the resale value. where i live they go pretty cheap after they are a few years old. but i have a friend with one and he hasn't had any problems. he has a wider axle so that kinda helps on the tippyness. but he usually just likes to drag so its good for him. overall i think they are a pretty good quad.

YFZ450Ridr
06-19-2004, 12:45 PM
cant u flip the front wheels around and the front end gets wider, wouldnt that help with the tipyness?

H_W
06-19-2004, 12:48 PM
I believe the raptor is a good quad for drag racing, but that is about it. My cousin has one and I don't like the handling or how tall it feels. The rear axle is too narrow.

The front end is pretty wide as it is, but the rear is where it needs to be widened.

06-19-2004, 01:00 PM
raptor=garbage...thats all i have to say

YFZ450Ridr
06-19-2004, 01:01 PM
is there a way to widen a stock axle?

sportraxkid
06-19-2004, 02:47 PM
You can get a cheap pair of wheel spacers, but it puts to much stress on the axle so its best to get a wider axle in the long run.

YFZ450Ridr
06-19-2004, 02:49 PM
oooooh i see

06-19-2004, 03:26 PM
wider axle...longer swingarm....+1 or +2 aarms with new shocks all the way around...then they are pretty sweet but thats alot of $$$ & you still have that engine where it can go at anytime...some never go...some go after a few weeks

LTandRaptorider
06-19-2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Jumbo747
wider axle...longer swingarm....+1 or +2 aarms with new shocks all the way around...then they are pretty sweet but thats alot of $$$ & you still have that engine where it can go at anytime...some never go...some go after a few weeks

Thought you didn't have anymore to say? I am surprised you held off as long as you did... must have been driving you nuts. which is a short drive for you? :eek: :blah:

06-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider

Thought you didn't have anymore to say? I am surprised you held off as long as you did... must have been driving you nuts. which is a short drive for you? :eek: :blah: yah..i went into convulsions not saying anything...i just got banned from bluetraxx for making fun of the craptors...its just not my week

SGA
06-20-2004, 09:54 AM
yah..i went into convulsions not saying anything...i just got banned from bluetraxx for making fun of the craptors...its just not my week

Banned from bluetraxx, people mad at you here.
Have you thought about why this is happening?

Either you dont know that you have a bad attitude, or you just dont care.
Dont you realize that you are gonna be banned from here soon if you keep up with the smart *** replies?

Jay300ex
06-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Raptor engines arn't bullet proof so to say, they are pretty tipsy because they are narrow and sit pretty high. The power is good, if you are a bigger guy. If you can't control the power aspect of it, then you shouldn't be riding it, regardless of it's drivability deminsions.

I don't want to bust, but I noticed people say the engines are hard to change the oil, and that they blow up. Hmm.. hehe.

The YFZ is a much better Yamaha IMO though.

the-ex-files
06-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Overall a good machine. Be careful of the 01 Raptors though. A lot of them had bad tranny's, but they got that problem fixed. My cousin has one, he likes it a lot, pretty relaible. Beats the snot out of it, still running good.

06-20-2004, 11:48 AM
people mad at me here? people are always gonna be mad at you somewhere...people are sometimes mad at me at my work...at school...i dont get banned though. its crazy you can get banned just because some people dont like you. now me getting banned from bluetraxx WAS my fault and i dont like that site anyway...this is my home....im out of this threAD for real now

Mr Bowjangles
06-20-2004, 12:49 PM
raptors are junk imo, their rear end suck, and they sit up too high, way to tippy.;)

Mr.Offroad
06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
i just got banned from bluetraxx for making fun of the craptors...its just not my week Unfortunately, it's not OUR week. He WISHES he got banned from Bluetraxx. WE wish he got banned. But no, we still have to listen to his uneducated drivel over there. If he spent half as much time riding as he does floggin' the dog on his computer, he might become educated enough to form a believable opinion on these forums. Doubtful, though.:rolleyes:

SGA
06-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Offroad
Unfortunately, it's not OUR week. He WISHES he got banned from Bluetraxx. WE wish he got banned. But no, we still have to listen to his uneducated drivel over there. If he spent half as much time riding as he does floggin' the dog on his computer, he might become educated enough to form a believable opinion on these forums. Doubtful, though.:rolleyes:
So Jumbo747 is lieing about being banned over at bluetraxx? :confused:

Mr.Offroad
06-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SGA
So Jumbo747 is lieing about being banned over at bluetraxx? :confused: Yup. I think it's an attention-getting thang. Kids.:rolleyes:

06-22-2004, 07:04 PM
i was banned for 24 hours or something...they let me back i guess :confused: