PDA

View Full Version : witnessed hard crash..........still wanna show off?

4punksdad
03-25-2002, 06:33 PM
my buddy & I went riding yesterday...........been on the trail about 15 minuted when we happen across these 2 guys who are relaxing near 3 piles of dirt. they have a 250r & brand new 400ex........al & I are riding our 400ex's. they explain that they just built these "jumps" & have been getting big air. I fire up my bike & take a couple of test runs at the largest pile. I right away see that it is short, steep, and has no landing other than a slight uphill with a potential for a hard hit.
Having launched the 400 many times in the past, I recognize this jump as being the "limit" for the stock 400 suspension. I hit it cautiously a few times getting some small air, but enough time to pull off a one hander.

my new riding buddies aren't impressed so they crank up their bikes & start roosting around..........I sense that someone is about to get hurt. I was right.

they start nailing this pile with WAY too much speed. both of them going high & far & landing VERY hard. finally the guy on the 400ex makes the mistake..........too much speed. the back end drops out in the air, and he is screwed. he tried to recover but was outta shape when he landed. the bike kicked him off & he hit the gravel hard. he never buckeled his helmet, and it flew off just after his head beat the ground. he bent his bars & one back rim. He tried to play it off like he wasn't hurt, but I felt his pain. Luckily he wasn't hurt bad. It just knocked him silly for a few minutes. Moral to the story.......I am not sure there is one. if something feels dangerous, it probably is. use your head out there.............

MadcapEX
03-25-2002, 06:57 PM
And BUCKLE YOUR FRIGGIN HELMET!!! Geez that peeves me!

03-25-2002, 06:59 PM
guys like that are nuts you dont change em but they also dont use common sense and get hurt

Striker49
03-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by freeridin400ex
guys like that are nuts you dont change em but they also dont use common sense and get hurt

Its just those few people that push the limit and get hurt that make the rest of us look bad b/c thats all the tree-huggers look at.......how "dangerous" quads are when really they arent, its just the rider. :cool:

03-27-2002, 09:47 AM
i guess ya would have to be there. i mean not buckeling up the helmet, thats just dumb. but i all went by the saying you must allways push the limits because if you never fail you will never succeed. but the you say if it dont feel right then the chance is that it is not

4punksdad
03-27-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by theyalladevil
i guess ya would have to be there. i mean not buckeling up the helmet, thats just dumb. but i all went by the saying you must allways push the limits because if you never fail you will never succeed. but the you say if it dont feel right then the chance is that it is not

:huh is that english or french?

trx400ex
03-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad

:huh is that english or french?

spanish

knighttime
03-27-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by theyalladevil

blah

:huh

knighttime
03-28-2002, 12:07 AM
I agree with u 4punks. I'm up for a good time, but gettin' hurt isn't a good time. The "showin' off part" well, remember one thing, don't f up. :eek:

:cool:

4punksdad
03-28-2002, 04:27 AM
we all show off from time to time............but even when I show off, I try to ride within my limits, and the limits of my ride.

JabberJaw
03-28-2002, 07:42 AM
I always show off before I go riding!

03-28-2002, 08:07 AM
I always look at it this way........."I gotta work tomorrow"-------- What keeps my *** on this 400 is my job, no work no play!!!! ===NO 400

4punksdad
03-28-2002, 05:40 PM
exactly rob............

01TRX300EX
03-28-2002, 08:40 PM
I was at this small motorcross track about 2 weeks ago and there was this table top and my uncle said he had only seen one person clear it, so I figured why not I will go slow over it and see. Well I went over, looked at the distance, it didnt seem to bad, well then I went and cleared it twice, but both times the front end dove the the right. Well, I don't know what came over me, but the next time I went faster, big mistake, the front end dove harder to the right, and when I landed the front tire popped off the bead (thats a whole nother story trying to get it back on) and my shirt rapped around the handlebars when I landed so I couldn't get back up and everytime I got pulled back down by the shirt my chest hit the throttle. Well I only ended up with a few bruises on my chest from slamming into the handlebars, and my left arm hurt from hitting my chest I guess. Wel anyways after we got the tire back on the bead, I went and checked the jump to discover that it was uneven which caused it to shoot forward. OH well, live and learn right?

MOFO
03-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Rob12
I always look at it this way........."I gotta work tomorrow"-------- What keeps my *** on this 400 is my job, no work no play!!!! ===NO 400

Yep... this is always in the back of my mind before I try a crazy hill climb or jump....

Eric

03-30-2002, 06:04 PM
i nearly killed myself showing off yesterday :/

04-03-2002, 09:58 AM
i am sorry for all the type o's i was pretty sick that day i hope i can be forgivein( plus i am a pretty ****ty speller)

roostfrom250ex
04-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Punks. I crashed like that (simaler) and my buddy said that when your doi'n stuff like that, your gonna crash.
I'ts like a accident waiting to happen.
he was right
Well, I know that now.

04-12-2002, 04:25 PM