PDA

View Full Version : clutch assembly

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 07:51 AM
i am sure alot of you guys our there are using aftermarket clutch assemblies. i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to look for and where to get one. the main reason i would like to get a new assembly is to get rid of that bulky pile that a 400ex comes with. i would also like an assembly that pulls easier. i am trying not to spend a ton of money on this quad because i would like to upgrade in a year. thanks for any info guys.

cdalejef
06-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Are you talking about the lever and perch or the clutch itself?

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:04 AM
i think hes talking about the perch...well if you want to go the eaziest way go find a lever and perch off a dirt bike and run your stock cable to the d/b lever...and you might want to get an e-brake block off to get rid of the e-brake and the e-brake cable....

but if you get rid of your stock perch and lever...your going to want to get rid of that nutral over ride button in your stock lever... what youve got to do to get rid of that is cut the 2 wires going to the box, and tie them together and tape them back to the wire harness..and its hidden....

cdalejef
06-18-2004, 08:11 AM
If you go the cheap rout, use a perch and lever off a CR

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:14 AM
i took the cheap route...a pep ez pull clutch lever is 50 bux...compared to free...ill take the freebie....its pretty much the same thing....so why spend 50 bux on a lever....i have like 12 bux invested in my clutch lever n junk like that...12 dollars for the e-brake block off

i took my chit off because my e-brake aint worked since day 1....so F that....if it dont work...it dont serve a purpose...why have it...

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i think hes talking about the perch...well if you want to go the eaziest way go find a lever and perch off a dirt bike and run your stock cable to the d/b lever...and you might want to get an e-brake block off to get rid of the e-brake and the e-brake cable....

but if you get rid of your stock perch and lever...your going to want to get rid of that nutral over ride button in your stock lever... what youve got to do to get rid of that is cut the 2 wires going to the box, and tie them together and tape them back to the wire harness..and its hidden....

what do you mean by the neutral override button?

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
u kno how when you pull in your stock clutch lever u hear a clicking....thats the stock lever pushing the nutral over ride button....if you pull the rubber boot back on your clutch lever you can see the lil black box screwd in the backside of the perch....

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:35 AM
if you take and cut the 2 wires going to that box and tie them together they will over ride the button not being there...and your bike can start in gear....hell your bike will be ab le to start w/o the clutch even bein in...but thats no biggie any moron that rides quads knows to pull in the clutch when starting the bike...

if you cut them 2 wires...tape them down to the wire that runs to the headlight/kill switch....then the wires are out of sight...its kinda hard to explain...but its really eazy to do if your looking at it and know anything about electrical...or hell even quads

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 08:39 AM
i don't remember hearing any clicking. i know some of my friends have to start their 400ex's in neutral everytime. i can start it in any gear as long as i pull in the clutch. anyway i am checking ebay for a perch and lever off of a cr. you think that would good way to go? will any perch and lever work? thanks for the help guys.

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:42 AM
yes that is their problem as well...they cut them 2 wires...but dint tie them togethere...so thats why they have to start their 400ex's in neutral every time....

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:44 AM
yes a cr lever and perch is the way to go...also look into an e brake block off...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482314202&category=34284

this aint exactly a CR lever...but this is the same thing...and exactly what your looking for

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 08:45 AM
alright so it sounds like i already have the wires cut (i am at work so i really can't check the quad for sure right now). so that means that i am in business right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482148762&category=35587

would this work out for me using the stock clutch cable from my 400?

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 08:49 AM
yes that cr lever is exactly wat your lookin for...if youd like to get something a lil quicker and dont want to bid i posted a link above to a magnum clutch lever...

check on your quad tonite...and get back to me...post a reply on the thread or PM me...and if you ahve any problems understanding what ive told ya here....shoot over a PM and ill try my best to help ya...

as of right now im going into town searching for a job...im broke as a joke...

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 08:51 AM
that's cool. thanks a ton man. i will get back to you later. TCracin440ex is a pimp!!

cdalejef
06-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Don't waste your time finding a used one. It will probally be wore out. A new CR perch and lever is only around $15

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Don't waste your time finding a used one. It will probally be wore out. A new CR perch and lever is only around $15

you are right. i just never thought of that. quadshop sell any that you know of?

cdalejef
06-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by vetteblues10
you are right. i just never thought of that. quadshop sell any that you know of? I heard that they do :p

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 09:19 AM
:D i should have figured that. one more question for ya jeff. do you know if i am gonna have any trouble mounting a new perch next to my stock light assembly? i know you race a cannondale but i was wondering if you had an idea. i would like to get something ordered up today. thanks man.

cdalejef
06-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Ya, it will work with the stock switches!

vetteblues10
06-18-2004, 09:27 AM
thanks jeff. rip em up next week! :macho

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 11:00 PM
yea dont get a used clutch lever...get that 18.95 magnum clutch lever that i linked on here....and you wont have any problem using the new clutch with stock switches.....also...did you look on the handle bar control and see if that lil black box was on your quad??

vetteblues10
06-22-2004, 07:53 AM
last night i took apart the stock clutch assembly, and found that lil black box. both wires were connected to it. kinda weird how i can still start it in gear. so just wrap those two wires together and tuck them away? i have taken out to the e-brake line. i just need to wait till i get that perch assembly delieverd. i also got a block off, clutch cable and throttle cable out of rocky mountain because they were a lil cheaper.

TCracin440ex
06-22-2004, 09:20 AM
yes take thoese 2 wires and snip them, strip the ends of them....tie them together..and tape them back to the wire harnes...then it will be all good...if you dont cut them and tie them together then u will have to put your bike in neutral every time u want to start it up