PDA

View Full Version : frame hits ground when suspension bottoms

PismoGuy400
06-17-2004, 11:49 PM
i was riding on the track today.. i was aware of the suspension bottoming but i kept noticing where the dirt, wich is hard packed was getting a little torn up, so i thought.. oh well.. next jump i felt somethin hit, i just thought it was the skidplate hitting the ground casue the tire pressure is low

i went back to the truck and stood the bike up and realized (off the top of my head) about 4-5 inches below the a-arms on the frame, somewhat below the oil take the frame was scratched up a lot and dented from hitting teh ground.. is this normal?

im guessing it is normal cause im 110% positive nothing is bent so the symmetry isnt off. but i havnt experienced this before partially ecause i havnt had acces to a track w/ jumps but since my last visit to hollister a new/ rebuilt track has been built..so now i do.

the jumps arent to big, theyre 5th gear jumps, probably jumping 25-30 feet distance landing to flat.

anyway.. enough rambling i only had that one question

thanks- PISMO

derekhonda
06-18-2004, 12:17 AM
anytime you jump over a few feet in the air and are landing on flat ground, it will bottom out stock suspension. Sounds like you need a set of aftermarket front shocks. Well well well, i happen to have some for sale :D Works Tripple rates with resis set up for a 205 pounder = $300 ! :blah: Seriously though, get some front shocks before you mess something up.

JOEX
06-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Like this?:(

team_450_88
06-18-2004, 01:29 AM
haha yea u should have saw my old 400ex it had stock suspension u shoulda saw the frame on it....its normal...Aftermarket shocks will help but if u dont jump everyjump on the track ur gonna flat land sumthin and if u land hard enough ur gonna bottom out any shocks so sooner or later ur gonna have that dent and if u dont ur not riding !! lol

I LIVE FOR MX !!

310Rduner
06-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400
i was riding on the track today.. i was aware of the suspension bottoming but i kept noticing where the dirt, wich is hard packed was getting a little torn up, so i thought.. oh well.. next jump i felt somethin hit, i just thought it was the skidplate hitting the ground casue the tire pressure is low

i went back to the truck and stood the bike up and realized (off the top of my head) about 4-5 inches below the a-arms on the frame, somewhat below the oil take the frame was scratched up a lot and dented from hitting teh ground.. is this normal?

im guessing it is normal cause im 110% positive nothing is bent so the symmetry isnt off. but i havnt experienced this before partially ecause i havnt had acces to a track w/ jumps but since my last visit to hollister a new/ rebuilt track has been built..so now i do.

the jumps arent to big, theyre 5th gear jumps, probably jumping 25-30 feet distance landing to flat.

anyway.. enough rambling i only had that one question

thanks- PISMO

That new setup at hollister is pretty sweet huh:blah: I don't evenm know why they called it a track before, the jumps were pitiful. But now those 3-4 jumps in a row right on that long straight just rock:macho

My aunt was just talking about her wanting to do something on 4th of July weekend, so we will probably be heading to pismo; you up for a trip :confused:

team_450_88
06-18-2004, 02:02 AM
JUly 4th....hmmmm

:D LONDON,KY GNC NATIONAL !! :D

PismoGuy400
06-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
That new setup at hollister is pretty sweet huh:blah: I don't evenm know why they called it a track before, the jumps were pitiful. But now those 3-4 jumps in a row right on that long straight just rock:macho

My aunt was just talking about her wanting to do something on 4th of July weekend, so we will probably be heading to pismo; you up for a trip :confused:

4TH of july im busy.. but maybe i could do an all day friday and saturday trip, or all day saturday/ half of sunday.. either way im up for it.. and yes the new track at hollister is awesome im glad weve finally got something like that out here.

any ways thanks guys i just wanted to make sure i hadnt screwed anything up..

cody anderson
06-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by team_450_88
JUly 4th....hmmmm

:D LONDON,KY GNC NATIONAL !! :D

See you there!

toby400ex
06-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Thats how broken wrists happen, i know this. Get some aftermarket shizzle fo yo ride.

boogiechile
06-20-2004, 04:14 PM
The ideal setup is to have the shocks themselves bottom completely out while the frame is 1.5 inches off the ground. That way your frame never really takes a hard hit unless you land in some ruts. when ordering aftermarket shocks it is a good idea to take measurements of the compressed length and make sure that is what you get. You can take the shocks off and set your frame down on a couple of 2x4s laying flat crossways under the frame. That will set it at 1.5 inches. let all the air out of the tires and then measure the distance between the centers of the upper and lower shock mount holes. this distance should be the metal to metal compressed length of the shock. give the measurement to the shock company when ordering.

roostin_dale
06-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by cody anderson
See you there!

me too:)!

lilpoppy
06-22-2004, 07:36 PM
I havn't been to hollister in about a year or so since they really cracked down on the noise levels. Are you guys running stock exhaust out there or are they just not really checking? We have a couple mx tracks in the Livermore and Discovery Bay area but I deffinatly wouldn't mind hitting another one if they will let us ride there.