PDA

View Full Version : no more stalling

dn1911
06-17-2004, 11:20 PM
check this out. sounds like it could make every kind of riding more enjoyable and fast.

Rekluse clutch (http://www.rekluse.com)

TCracin440ex
06-17-2004, 11:32 PM
ok...this product doesnt interest me at all for the simple reason....its bs....ive been ridding a quad with a clutch all my life...and clutch is 2nd nature to me so im not "concentrating" on the clutch lever like they suggest...i cant stand not havin a clutch for the simple reason it would be like ridding naked...this product must be designed for newbies to sport quads....cuz ive never had a problem with

Get perfect 2nd or even 3rd gear roll-on starts

Brake slide into corners without reaching for that clutch lever

Explode out of corners with perfect clutch "feathering" every time

Eliminate stalling in low-speed corners, hard braking, even crashes

Conserve energy and reduce arm pump by never needing to grab for that clutch lever

Go faster by staying focused on what's ahead instead of the clutch lever

Gain confidence knowing that the z-Start will save you if you're a gear high or if you lose momentum on that big nasty hill climb

Make tuning changes to the z-Start in just seconds to optimize clutch engagement for riding conditions

Forget about the clutch lever!

any of the above...this is just my opinion not trying to flame...but im so used to the clutch its just like walking...is something thats done so much it doesnt need a guide on how to do it

dn1911
06-17-2004, 11:49 PM
i will agree with u there. if you have mastered the clutch then your fine. if you still learning like me it does draw you attention. now i'm not trying to puss out and use this as an excuse not to clutch, but for the type of riding i do it would be help to me in some situations.

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 12:01 AM
yea the clutch aint hard tho bro....just got to know how to take off....taking off was the hardest part for me...after i masterd that...the rest is eazy....you really dont need the clutch cept when slowing down and taking off....cuz u can shift w/o using the clutch...get your rpms right and let off the gas...

thump4863
06-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
ok...this product doesnt interest me at all for the simple reason....its bs....ive been ridding a quad with a clutch all my life...and clutch is 2nd nature to me so im not "concentrating" on the clutch lever like they suggest...i cant stand not havin a clutch for the simple reason it would be like ridding naked...this product must be designed for newbies to sport quads....cuz ive never had a problem with

Conserve energy and reduce arm pump by never needing to grab for that clutch lever

Gain confidence knowing that the z-Start will save you if you're a gear high or if you lose momentum on that big nasty hill climb

Make tuning changes to the z-Start in just seconds to optimize clutch engagement for riding conditions

any of the above...this is just my opinion not trying to flame...but im so used to the clutch its just like walking...is something thats done so much it doesnt need a guide on how to do it

I have the Rekluse clutch and it does everything that it says it does. Having this clutch is like night and day from the manual clutch. Don't say that I don't know how to work a clutch because I do. I could do everything listed above fine also. But this clutch makes you do it better. I race XC and I can't tell you the amount of people I pass on 450rs that have stalled out and are sitting there kicking and kicking to get the bike started. This clutch eliminates that. Its awesome so don't knock it till have actually tried it.

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 05:32 AM
yes....i can see having it for cross country...because of the off cambers and the fancy clutch work needed in the woods...but for mx..i cant see it....because if you stall your bike on the mx track youve done pretty much lost anyways...i wouldnt buy 1 because i love having the clutch....ive rode auto tranny quads that all u gotta do is shift...and im constantly grabbing the brake lever like its the clutch

thump4863
06-18-2004, 07:29 AM
yes....i can see having it for cross country...because of the off cambers and the fancy clutch work needed in the woods...but for mx..i cant see it....because if you stall your bike on the mx track youve done pretty much lost anyways...i wouldnt buy 1 because i love having the clutch....ive rode auto tranny quads that all u gotta do is shift...and im constantly grabbing the brake lever like its the clutch

Well I agree with you there :)

red2004 TRX450R
06-18-2004, 07:54 AM
I read in a mag that Fourstroketech is making one to for XC.
I don’t know if I like the idea of no clutch.
But if U stall in a race your are done.
I would have to have some seat time before I would even think about getting one.

I all so think the stock gearing is perfect for the woods and most don’t

Just my .02

thump4863
06-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
I read in a mag that Fourstroketech is making one to for XC.
I don’t know if I like the idea of no clutch.
But if U stall in a race your are done.
I would have to have some seat time before I would even think about getting one.

I all so think the stock gearing is perfect for the woods and most don’t

Just my .02

You still have a clutch in it lol...its just an automatic one where it automatically feathers the clutch for you....if it stalls you start it back up....

TCracin440ex
06-18-2004, 07:59 AM
yes i can see 1 for XC racing because of the fancy clutch work needed when going thru tight trees, over rocks or stuff like that...but for mx...if you stall...your toast anyways...most people that stall in XC will have a chance to catch back up because of how long the track is...

MX you have a mile or less to catch back up to the leader with a pack of 15 or more quads screaming arround a track...your chances of getting back out front is slim to none...because most people in races dont pull over and let the stronger guy go arround in mx....they make the stronger guy take the position...so if your stalled and you get at the back of the pack your chances of getting back upfront are verry slim...

86atc250r
06-18-2004, 09:46 AM
TC - you have a lot of incorrect conceptions of what is being talked about here.

With the Rekluse clutch, you still have a manual clutch if you choose to use it. It doesn't work in the same way a utility quad clutch works.

It's actually a very cool unit for cross country and MX with a lot of advantages you'd never think about until using one. You should learn a little more before making such a big deal about things you don't understand or have experience with.

dhines
06-18-2004, 03:00 PM
I really can't see any significant disadvantages to the unit. I don't care what type of riding/racing you do, there are times when reaching for the clutch can be problematic - when you are tired at the end of a long race, or in an awkward position, or trying to hold on for dear life through rough terrain, etc. Plus, as has been stated above, you can still use the clutch as normal when/if you like.

Call me a puss, but this racer is ordering one for his ride...

jb500ex
06-18-2004, 03:49 PM
fst does have one on their 450r, mickey loves it and says it's great for starts, they got the holeshot in v.a.

tkwarrior
06-18-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm seriously considering ordering one but right now I can't spend anymore money.

86atc250r
06-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Dhines - my thought process was the same, I couldn't see any disadvantages to it & after owning one, I still can't. I really enjoy mine, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I find it to be very nice in every form of riding I've done - it probably has the most advantages in the woods though.

I only wish they'd make one for my 400EX woods bike.

Dunlap
06-18-2004, 04:29 PM
The clutch is great in the woods but when you can hole shot the yfz it's great:D The 500cc kit and cam didn't hurt either. You can see it under race cov. page 7 or 8. Va. pm race. Or you can read about it in the Oct. Dirt Wheels.

WOracing
06-18-2004, 05:36 PM

i totally agree....good job TC

86atc250r
06-18-2004, 09:52 PM
You two kids know it all don't you ;)

WOracing
06-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
You two kids know it all don't you ;)

im just saying isnt stalling part of learning and becoming better:)

Colby@C&DRacing
06-19-2004, 11:05 AM
I installed one of the rekluse clutchs on our 450 on thursday and spent all day on the trails with it yesterday. The clutch works really well. I think it helps the bike to holeshot better my wife was drag racing her brother he has a nice moto440 and she beat his every time. I will give a full review on this clutch after our next XC race. If anyone is interested in a Rekluse clutch contact C&D Racing we are a dealer for them.

dn1911
06-20-2004, 08:40 PM
hey guys what you price gonna be on those. thanks

06-20-2004, 11:16 PM
hey dude. if i get it and don't like it can i take it out and put the stock one back on. sounds really good. i might like it.

Pappy
06-21-2004, 06:41 AM
im ordering one. and whats with people slamming products they havent tried and from people that dont race:confused: sounds more like they cant stomach the fact of loosing to an auto clutched quad:eek2:

465Stroker
06-21-2004, 06:50 AM
So can I install one of these in my YFZ450 and race the Utility Unlimited Class? Seems like the rules only mention the quad being automatic - has nothing stating it had to come from the factory that way....... If a V-Force that comes with no racks can race utility then a YFZ450 or TRX450 with a rekluse clutch can do the same then - correct?:confused:

Pappy
06-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
So can I install one of these in my YFZ450 and race the Utility Unlimited Class? Seems like the rules only mention the quad being automatic - has nothing stating it had to come from the factory that way....... If a V-Force that comes with no racks can race utility then a YFZ450 or TRX450 with a rekluse clutch can do the same then - correct?:confused:

you looking for a win rick:devil: :blah:

465Stroker
06-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Maybe I'll do a Harlum and try to win some free Wisp ski passes........:p

Pappy
06-21-2004, 06:59 AM
they would be worth it:p

for anyone thats installed this unit, how easy is it to install and set up?

06-21-2004, 07:02 AM

I only wish they'd make one for my 400EX woods bike.

Gabe I know you mentioned your first on their hitlist when they did release them for 400ex's and I"m guessing your still waiting. After talking with rekluse at the dealer show earlier this year It sounds like a break thru in technology that some of us have been waiting on for a long time.

I"ll be throwing one in the 400ex if they ever come out that's for dam sure..

And i think some people are missing the obvious about this product. If you are a master clutcher then this product will only make you better. If you can't get any better then your ego is too big...:blah: :D

Admin
06-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Maybe I'll do a Harlum and try to win some free Wisp ski passes........:p

Always got to pick on me:( I can't help I am over 30:D

Maybe Rick needs to be Junior this weekend;)

Pappy
06-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

and also who would have one i could get my hands on this week so i could run it at wisp:confused:

465Stroker
06-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Always got to pick on me:( I can't help I am over 30:D

Maybe Rick needs to be Junior this weekend;)

I'm not picking there bud....You told me last year you was going to ride vet since you had a better chance to win free skirt - I mean ski passes.....:)

It was just a thought of how the autoclutches would change GNCC racing.. For instance - would they be allowed in the stock class - LOL...

Plus I would not mind standing next to Traci on the podium this weekend....:macho

However - I am not jumping ship just stirring the pot..:blah:

Harlen - Had a great time at dinner this weekend!

Admin
06-21-2004, 07:33 AM
However - I am not jumping ship just stirring the pot..:blah:

Boy do you use a shovel when stirring the pot!!!

Pappy
06-21-2004, 07:36 AM
answer my questions or you both will get the tonya harding treatment at wisp:grr: :macho

465Stroker
06-21-2004, 07:38 AM
answer my questions or you both will get the tonya harding treatment at wisp:grr: :macho

Since you name is PAPPY does that qualify you for the Super Senior class?

Pappy
06-21-2004, 07:39 AM
rick added to *** kikk'd up list:mad:

and no...i forgot to lie when i signed up :(

06-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Since you name is PAPPY does that qualify you for the Super Senior class?

:o

thump4863
06-21-2004, 07:44 AM
they would be worth it:p

It is very easy to install....all you do is take your clutch boss out and put the rekluse one in. Take 5 of your stock plates out and replace those with the rekluse stock plates. Then put in the rest of the system...not very hard at all maybe an hour the first time you do it....The only thing I have had a problem with on it is getting the spacing correct...I ended up having to change it to only 4 rekluse instead of 5 and ever since then it has run great.

Pappy
06-21-2004, 07:47 AM
looks like i need one of them big "RAMMING" bumpers for the hatfield trip, a stick for 2 knee jobs and some asprin:mad:

thanks thump....:p

Admin
06-21-2004, 08:56 AM
2 knee jobs and some asprin:mad:

Pappy and his Knee Jobs:eek:

What a way to... Oh never mind!!!

Pappy
06-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Pappy and his Knee Jobs:eek:

What a way to... Oh never mind!!!

ummmm....im not the one with some kind of rash on my knee's:huh

Admin
06-21-2004, 09:30 AM
ummmm....im not the one with some kind of rash on my knee's:huh

Doh...:eek:

dn1911
06-21-2004, 11:15 AM
you guys are great i'm laughin my arse off.:D

maybe we need to open a new section and call it pappy's comedy hour.;)

anyway back to topic. anyone that has any question needs to talk to 86atc250r. other than that if you need one right away Rock MT. is a distributor or you can order direct.

86atc250r
06-21-2004, 11:20 AM
I ordered mine direct - they are good people to work with.

As far as setup - it's easy, just follow the directions closely. Have two sets of feeler gauges nearby & the loctite they recommend handy. The kit has everything else you need - no surprises.

I had mine up and running easily after just a short time - after performing their initial adjustment, the clutch was rideable and actually very close to "correct" - after that it was minor stall speed adjustments.

Admin
06-21-2004, 11:27 AM
C&D Racing has them available forsale and your purchase helps support the site! Call them at 308-696-7805

Thanks for your Support!!!!

Admin
06-21-2004, 11:42 AM
EXriders.com will be doing a review on this product ASAP. Pappy will be getting one soon and should have it ready to race at Wisp!!

Pappy
06-21-2004, 11:51 AM
EXriders.com will be doing a review on this product ASAP. Pappy will be getting one soon and should have it ready to race at Wisp!!

:eek: damn!

i take back the knee job on harlum:p but rick is still gittin kikk'd up:devil:

Pappy
06-21-2004, 11:59 AM
I ordered mine direct - they are good people to work with.

As far as setup - it's easy, just follow the directions closely. Have two sets of feeler gauges nearby & the loctite they recommend handy. The kit has everything else you need - no surprises.

I had mine up and running easily after just a short time - after performing their initial adjustment, the clutch was rideable and actually very close to "correct" - after that it was minor stall speed adjustments.

if its possible, pm me anything i may need to know ahead of time:p if it comes in time ill install it at home, if not it maybe installed at wisp.

maybe with this unit i wont have anymore pictures like this:(
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1136784

Colby@C&DRacing
06-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Pappy the install is really easy the instructions are top notch. The only thing I had to read over was the instructions for the external adjuster at the bars. As Gabe said you need some good loctite and two sets of feeler gauges..

The clutch is a little different at first you keep wanting to grab the lever in the corners and when you stop, but after a little bit you really notice the advantages of it. Dusty has not ridden a bike since she broke her wrist at the TN GNCC. She got her pins out two weeks ago and was told it would be atleast 6 month before she had full use and strength. We went riding on friday for 3 1/2 hour none stop in the woods and she had a great time I know if she did not have this clutch she would have been ready to leave after the first hour.

Pappy if Harlum pulls through and gets you a clutch, and you have any questions let me know I spent alot of time on the phone with rekluse getting the low down on all the fine tuning. Harlin has all my unlisted #'s :eek: Which I think he calls alot to talk to my wife when I'm at works because when I try to call it is always busy:grr: JK

Pappy
06-21-2004, 01:07 PM
lol...i didnt think harlum was into ...oh nevermind:devil:

i appreciate the offer. not to sound stupid but what feeler gauges will i need. i dont own any and ill need to grab the tool truck and get whatever i may need. id rather get this installed at home in a way, but doing it at wisp would have advantages...especially if Mike Benson could be convinced to help me:p

thanks colby

Colby@C&DRacing
06-21-2004, 02:06 PM
LOL ya nevermind :D

Anyway you don't own any feeler gauges :( . Just go to the auto parts store and get two sets of feeler gauges. The instructions say to put a feeler gauge between one of the first fiber plate and the first steel plate. You have to put one gauge on the top and one on the bottom so you get a true reading. The free end gap need to be betwenn .30 and .42 or something like that so as long as the fellers go that big your ok. ( or you can double up feelers).
the kit comes with the torx bit you need. You also need small allen wrenchs like 4mm and a inch pound torgue wrench
Just give me a call if you need anything.:)

dn1911
06-21-2004, 03:06 PM
hey colby how much are the full kits gonna run for the R thanks

red2004 TRX450R
06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Sounds interesting do u still use the clutch lever when u shift?
Or Is it just for taking off and feathering the clutch then you are in tight woods, take off and cornering??

it sounds like you can but do you have to?

86atc250r
06-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Everything works as it normally does with the exception of when the RPMs drop below the stall speed.

Pappy
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing

the kit comes with the torx bit you need. You also need small allen wrenchs like 4mm and a inch pound torgue wrench

that is the kind of info i was after! thanks!

people love to post how easy it is, yet fail to mention 1 or 2 tools alot of folks dont have. thanks again colby:D

Hammer trx450r
06-21-2004, 07:34 PM
I gotta check one of these out!!

Hey where did the guys go that talked trash on it?:devil:

TCracin440ex
06-21-2004, 07:36 PM
not talking trash on it...its just something that doesnt interest me...

Hammer trx450r
06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
To be honest it was my first reaction, but if it helps me from stalling once it is worth it. Stalling makes me :mad:

Pappy
06-21-2004, 07:39 PM
not talking trash on it...its just something that doesnt interest me...

lol...so much so that you posted 2 minutes after he asked where you went;)

TCracin440ex
06-21-2004, 07:41 PM
i could see havin that thing on a 450r...i wouldnt want to kick it either...but a quad with electric start...wouldnt bother with it...i could also see it more for XC than what i could see using it for MX for reasons i stated in before posts

Pappy
06-21-2004, 07:54 PM
i dunno, i could see where it would be very beneficial on a mx track...well atleast for those that race.

1) going threw a corner and getting hit from behind or spun out. i see alot of riders starting there quad and running again but with this unit you would merely downshift and punch the throttle

2) landing hard and stalling the quad.....wont be a problem with this unit

3) how about on the start? gate drops...hammer down:macho no reaction time or human geuss work on the clutch.

thats just a few

Out_Sider
06-21-2004, 08:06 PM
i dunno, i could see where it would be very beneficial on a mx track...well atleast for those that race.

1) going threw a corner and getting hit from behind or spun out. i see alot of riders starting there quad and running again but with this unit you would merely downshift and punch the throttle

2) landing hard and stalling the quad.....wont be a problem with this unit

3) how about on the start? gate drops...hammer down:macho no reaction time or human geuss work on the clutch.

thats just a few

i'd love to have one of these on my 300ex for mx..no clutching out of a turn...just down shift brake and GO, lol

Out_Sider
06-21-2004, 08:07 PM
o, and you dont need to pull in the clutch in the air to lock up the rear brakes..that is a BIG plus

Pappy
06-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
i'd love to have one of these on my 300ex for mx..no clutching out of a turn...just down shift brake and GO, lol

well id say knowing the proper use of the clutch and using it would be fatsre thru a turn but thats supposedly the beauty of this set up. you can use the clutch as you always have.

Hammer trx450r
06-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
o, and you dont need to pull in the clutch in the air to lock up the rear brakes..that is a BIG plus

Wow never looked at it that way;)

Dunlap
06-21-2004, 09:10 PM
No down shifting with the 500r:D

Hammer trx450r
06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap

YIKES

250RXCrider
06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap

Mickey..I saw your 500R at Petersburg and it was sweet. Could you post some details about the motor and what it would cost for normal guys like us.

Thanks,
-JP

dn1911
06-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Mickey..I saw your 500R at Petersburg and it was sweet. Could you post some details about the motor and what it would cost for normal guys like us

yea i called about a month ago and was told to check back about now to see how the R&D went. can you give any more info on how your setup is working, power delivery, torque down low, and any other specs you could or want to indulge us with. thanks very much;)

Dunlap
06-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Very simple kit, my cam and a 99mm 12:1 piston. Bores into the stock cylinder. 200 main jet and an open air box. Kick once and hang on. Power is smooth and easy to ride and is faster than any YFZ.

dn1911
06-21-2004, 09:59 PM
when you bore those out they have to be recoated right? also with the extra torque gearing become an issue or did stock work well? any plans to switch carbs ar has the stock worked well so far? i know the bore adds torque but if i ran you cam by itsef would you consider it more topend or low or mid? thanks will be calling to order with in a month

Dunlap
06-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Yes it has to be re-coated. Stock gearing, stock carb. It's the fastest thing we have built for the woods so I'm going to leave it the way it is even for the 12hr in Oct. Cam is a mid to top end cam.

dn1911
06-21-2004, 10:21 PM
thank you for your time

trailtech
06-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I rode one on a KTM and we were out hill climbing. If you did not make the top, the bike would free wheel backwards. This bit me as I was used to the clutch holding me on the hill.

That being said, many dirtbike riders love them.

Colby@C&DRacing
06-22-2004, 12:56 PM
The bike will only free wheel if you have the clutch set to engage at a high rpm. If it is set to engage just about idle you have full engine braking.

You do not need to use the clutch to shift. I agree it would also have a great benefit for mx racers.

As for the 500cc kits for the TRX they are not over priced the most expensive part is the bore and replate which is between $200 to $240 dollars. Other than that it is just a piston, cam and gaskets.

Pappy it is also handy if you have a dremmel tool with a cutting wheel. On the inside of the clutch cover there is a casting the sticks out a little bit and you need to grind it down flush so it does not hit the new pressure plate of the zstart clutch. I used a gasket buffer.

trailtech
06-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi Colby,

The clutch was setup correctly. At some point it has to disengage - at that point, being on a steep hill where you cannot go up is a bad thing.

86atc250r
06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Another thing to remember with the autoclutch setup is no more roll starting & your parking brake suddenly becomes much more valuable (which is what I think Trailtech is addressing)

Hammer trx450r
06-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Another thing to remember with the autoclutch setup is no more roll starting & your parking brake suddenly becomes much more valuable (which is what I think Trailtech is addressing)

eww maybe ill wait;)

Pappy
06-22-2004, 07:22 PM
lol....no brakes...just what i need:eek: :devil:

thx on the tips! anyone want to come install it:p

Colby@C&DRacing
06-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Pappy you buy and I'll fly:D

Pappy
06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Pappy you buy and I'll fly:D