PDA

View Full Version : anyone having trouble finding a job?

Martin Blair
06-17-2004, 10:52 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else gets turned down because there not old enough to work somewhere. No one arround here is hiring until your at least 16, but most are 18. I just want to make some money but no one seems to want kids.

Regular_Joe
06-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Most places can't hire under 16 for legal issues.

Heres what I did. Start mowing lawns. You bring your own mower, gas, etc. Charge $10 an hr. You can make lots of $$$ quick. At most it will cost $300 to get started (self-prop mower $200, Weed-eater $60, gas can $10). Even better if you can use your parents stuff. Talk w/ your parents about it in a calm adult like manner. They almost can't say no. Even print this off and show them.

Helpful hints:

1) Try to be super friendly, and see if you can just come and mow as needed. People love not worrying about it. I used to just come and mow several places as they needed it. I would casually go by just to check when I was out and about. If they weren't there, but it needed mowing, I'd mow and just stop back later to get paid or settle up next time I mowed. Seriously people love the no hastle aspect of it that way. Some people stay at their camp on the lake for the summer. I had lots of customers like this.

2) Never use their gas. They always have old rusty steel gas cans etc, thats just asking for trouble. Besides this ends up being less things they need to worry about, no gas to buy, no mower to maintain, etc....

3) Its $10 minimum for showing up. Even if its a small town lot and only takes 1/2 hr. You came, mowed, used your gas, and used your mower. Its your effort and time. Kinda like repair shops charging a 1 hr minimum. Typical places charge $25 hr and up, so $10 isn't bad at all.

4) After about 10 lawns, thats about it. Sometimes in rainy weeks you can get pretty backed up otherwise.

5) Think about what your doing. Even if it takes 15 minutes longer, don't mow so it shoots grass on the flower beds, side of the house, driveway, etc. If you do be sure to sweep. Try to rake if its clumpy, etc. Your being paid to do a job, so do it professionally. Miss a spot, make damn sure you get back over there and do it.

6) Work in other jobs too. Weeding, painting, trim shrubs, plant stuff, etc .... Chances are if they don't mow their own yard, they don't do much at all to the place. Doesn't hurt to ask if they need help w/ something.

This shows huge initiative, builds up people who can be references, etc... Later when you go apply for jobs put it on there. Talk about the resposabilities of the job, etc ... blah blah blah. Talk about how mowing just isn't simple, and how you take pride in your work ....

It will work wonders. Who would you hire ... the kid who never had a job .... or the kid who never had a real job, but found his own work .... its a no brainer.

Pappy
06-18-2004, 07:42 AM
if there are any farms close by you, try asking a few if they need part time help. its hay season and tossing bales could make a few bucks..if you can handle it:p

Stevie-D
06-18-2004, 08:29 AM
i just got screwed out of my job. right after school gets out i talk to my boss who tells me that he's got no work for me. (i'm 16 and work at an auto body shop)
so i called 2 other garages, 3 lawnscaping companies that are run by people i know, the local corner store/gasstation, etc...

noones hiring here. so now i'm waiting on a possible construction job that is about an hour from my house.
i thought about cutting grass/ doing odd jobs, but out in the country here everyone cuts there own lawns and things like that.

it sucks:mad: