PDA

View Full Version : 1993 TRX300 4x4

jrb737
06-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Hello all,

I was looking for a used Recon for my girlfriend and came across a 1993 TRX300 4x4 (which looked very similar) at a local dealer. Of course they have it listed at $3100, but NADA has this model between $1450-$1905.

Anyway, I have a 400ex and have not been on the TRX300 4x4 and was wondering if this would be a safe buy as far as reliability goes. Also it looked to be in "fair to good" condition at best. The racks were a little rusted, the air filter was almost completely covered w/ dirt, and there was dirt caked on parts of the underside. But it started right up and seemed to idle and run smooth (although I did not ride it).

For those of you who own or have owned one of these what problems should I be aware of and what else should I look for if I decide to buy this thing? Also is a easy handling atv for a beginner rider?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!!

Jeff

cdalejef
06-17-2004, 07:23 PM
That is one of the most reliable quads ever made but that price is too high unless its mint. The only problems I've found is the choke cable sticks and the axle seals go bad and let mud into the drums. Nothing major just stuff to look for.

Tommy 17
06-17-2004, 07:54 PM
the trx300 4x4 was rated one of the top selling quads of its time... they are pretty much bullet proof!!! i know of lots of them around my area still running strong...

acold7dusta
06-17-2004, 08:20 PM
hey i got a 97 2x4 and its great. it handles real nice for what it is and its real strong in the mud. the only problem mine has are the brakes . since ive gone through a bunch of mud the seals broke and mud comes in and after about a half a year, u need new brakes. the first time this happens id invest in a disc brake in the back. the fronts are typical drums too, better tho since theyre hydrolic. id sell u mine for 2000 im in NY. im lookin to get into the sport world of 400s or a raptor.im lookin to pick one up for around 3 or 4.but the 300 is a great beginner quad-real comfortable, torquey and VERY RELIABLE quad. i have never had any problems with anything besides the rear brake and bearing the whole 2 years ive owned it.

acold7dusta
06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
ps ill trade and pay the difference and also the brakes are working excellent right now but if they start actin up just buy a disk brake conversion:blah:

cool 300ex
06-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah they are very RELIABLE quad. My friend ha sone and his never left him stuck somewhere were he couldn't make it out of the woods and his a a 1990 300 4x4 he had it from 95 to now. THe only way it left him, stuck was if he got stuck in the mud. Also trust me on this i am a big 4x4 fan and i go to highlifter's forum everyday for the past 2 years...

Make sure you check it out to see if anythign is wore out if there are parts that are like that get the dealer down on the price.

TheFontMaster
06-17-2004, 09:05 PM
One of my friends has a 91 i belive, couldn't be a more reliably quad out there. That things got good power, the only thing i think hes had to put on it in the past like 13 years was some front end work due to hitting a big *** rock at top speed lol, a gasket and new tires, which from what he said help the handling a-lot.

06-17-2004, 10:34 PM
i had one of those 2 years ago for my first four wheeler...it was the most reliable quad ever...handled decent stock & good power for a ute...definately a good utility...changed the oil once in a year but I dont do that with the sports

sweet300ex
06-18-2004, 09:21 AM
We have a 1990 2X4 with the original tires on it. It like mint, we have never had any problems with it!

DEAL
06-18-2004, 09:34 AM
I have a 97 that I use for plowing. . before I bought my first sport quads I used to ride the chit out of it. all 3 shocks are blown , no brakes, on its 5th set of tires, only things that have ever been replaced were the rear end bearings and front spindles (bent from jumping). But it still runs perfect and doesn't burn any oil what so ever.
Great quad but like Jeff said that price seems a little high for a 93.