PDA

View Full Version : Durablue Sucks

hondalover
06-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Ok i got a durablue axle x-33 and i can not keep the hubs tight tried locktight and all, So now i got a new 450 honda and i want a adjustable axle so i can go around + 4 and i want good quality where hubs will stay tight and all. I was just wondering is RPM or Lonestar axles a better product, or if u guys know of a place to get a + 4 inch axle for my new 450 that will hold up well just please tell me the website or the name of the company that makes the axle.
Thanks
TFR

cdalejef
06-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Yes, RPM and LSR are both better products than DB. Its not uncommon for hubs to come loose often. When I used to race 250R's I would have to tighten them every race no matter which axle I ran.

Tommy 17
06-17-2004, 07:49 PM
i found if u torque then to 101lbs they don't come loose... mine use to come loose all the time but we actually torqued it to 101lbs put on locktight and it never budges...

400ex28
06-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i found if u torque then to 101lbs they don't come loose... mine use to come loose all the time but we actually torqued it to 101lbs put on locktight and it never budges...

Yeah same here i did that and I havent had a problem yet ;) :D

JOEX
06-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Once I cleaned the splines, greased and torqued them on the stock axle I didn't have a problem either. Didn't use Lock Tite either and worked great.

Once they are torqued, if the cotter pin hole is not lined up, tighten just enough more for the cotter pin to go in.

k2-dawg
06-18-2004, 06:47 AM

Tommy, didn't you break your arm or something try to break a hub loose once???

Tommy 17
06-18-2004, 07:48 AM
:grr: i broke my hand takin off a wheel:o

haha the 6 inch extension shattered on my friends new 400... the kid b4 him musta tightened it down super hard... when i put a ton of force on it it shattered the extension hitting me in the hand... that was in december or early january:p

yeah i'm a dumbass

400ex28
06-18-2004, 10:00 AM
:grr: i broke my hand takin off a wheel:o

haha the 6 inch extension shattered on my friends new 400... the kid b4 him musta tightened it down super hard... when i put a ton of force on it it shattered the extension hitting me in the hand... that was in december or early january:p

yeah i'm a dumbass

Good one :p lol

hondarider2006
06-18-2004, 02:49 PM
I tourqed mine to 101lbs and haven't have any problems yet, try that and see what happens

redroost85
06-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Why everyone rips on Durablue is beyond me. I don't see the product as much different as anything else.

Locally I race mx and many of the other racers use Durablue as well and have for years. I am quite satisfied with my Durablue and can't see paying much more for an axle when mine works just fine.

Just my .02 and I am happy with my Durablue...yeah the hubs can be a pain, but you'll have that. :)

sparky450AR
06-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Instead of grease, use RTV silicon on the splines....this creates a "cushion" Then torque your hubs and you will never have a problem again. This is a trick i learned from 86ATC250r. I also ordered a durablue x-33 but canceled my order as soon as i started reading about them. I then ordered a LSR and i love it, top notch product. +3 inches which is plenty on the 450R, and havent had a problem with my hubs.

Here is a quote from 86atc250R

"Don't believe the hype on the axle - they are not as lightweight as advertised - on my 250R it weighed slightly more than stock.

The rotating mass of the axle is neglegible anyways - the mass is all centered near the point of rotation - you'd get much more result out of a set of lighter weight tires.

Back to the axle-- weight is not what they claim, strength is not good (they have a history of breaking), hubs still come loose - better yet - when they do, instead of just loosening up, they loosen up, shear the drive pin, and leave you stranded with a detached tire/wheel -- and although they are advertised as being very adjustable they are such a pain in the @$$ to adjust that it's not worth messing with.

You also have to remember that Durablue's "Lifetime" warranty only works once --- you bend or break the axle, you get a replacement but without any further warranty.

Take it from someone who has owned one (and an RPM, a Lonestar, and numerous others) ---- cancel your X-33 order.

Get a Lonestar - cheaper than an RPM and very, very good -- especially their 450R axle, it's practically as thick as an X-33 (doesn't taper much at the ends) yet isn't hollow - looks and performs great.

There's a reason you don't see many X-33 axles on top racer's quads."

Here is the thread..... http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107245&highlight=durablue+lonestar

ghak99
06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98495