PDA

View Full Version : Outerwears

trout
06-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Well I got my outerwear today for my 450R, all it is, is a mesh material with an elastic band to hold it on the filter box.............is that all its supposed to be? I thought the attachment would be more than just elastic...........any thoughts? It doesnt fit very well, with all the clips on there and stuff, im disappointed in this purchase. FYI

trout

trout
06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
bump....

anyone have an Outerwear? is it just elastic holding it on the air box?

trout

1fastR
06-18-2004, 07:22 AM
the outerwear is made to use with the airfilter, should be a bag with the elastic part on the opening and it goes around the air filter-put the filter in the outerwear then install the filter back in the airbox.

trout
06-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Well you may be right for other Outerwear filters, but this one clearly goes where the airbox lid used to go, it is rectangle and large enough to go over the airbox lid.

Just not a good fit.

Trout

sparky450AR
06-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by trout
Well you may be right for other Outerwear filters, but this one clearly goes where the airbox lid used to go, it is rectangle and large enough to go over the airbox lid.

Just not a good fit.

Trout

Wow, ive never seen one like that. The only kind ive seen have been the ones that slip over the filter itself, and they work very well. You may be able to cut your stock airbox lid and somehow attach the outerwear to it, kind of like the EHS racing lid.

let us know how it goes

mephyst
06-19-2004, 03:52 PM
I got a k&n on all my bikes w/ an outerwear, but on the R how does the outerwear work? Does it have a hole in the back of it to go around the metal bracket? What is the point of that metal bracket on the back anyway? I've never had any problems with crap getting in on any of my bikes and they didn't have an extra support bracket on the back..

sparky450AR
06-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
I got a k&n on all my bikes w/ an outerwear, but on the R how does the outerwear work? Does it have a hole in the back of it to go around the metal bracket? What is the point of that metal bracket on the back anyway? I've never had any problems with crap getting in on any of my bikes and they didn't have an extra support bracket on the back..

If yor talking about the 450R there is no metal bracket in the back....only two clips, to hold on the lid.

bigz-71
06-19-2004, 08:35 PM
does anyone have the new k&n for the 450r with outer wear? i got the new k&n but i dont have an out wear. i have not checked lately but i was wondering if they are making an outer wear for them yet.

brif
06-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
If yor talking about the 450R there is no metal bracket in the back....only two clips, to hold on the lid.
I think he's refering to the stock air filter and not the stock lid as you are. I have seen those outerwears airbox covers before and wasn't impressed. I have seen them that use elastic and ones that use velcroe. I bought the EHS cover. There is alot of debate over this as to it's usefulness but, this is the second bike I had one on and am satified with it. It's alittle pricey but, you now know what the alternative is like. Good luck......

snow4fun
06-21-2004, 08:24 AM
FYI,

I ordered what is called an Outerwear Air box cover from NAC racing for $19.95 that sounds exactly like what Trout describes above. It is designed to replace the airbox lid. Before I ordered mine, I called and talked to an Outerwears engineer and when I asked him if the elastic would keep this in place, he said they have tested it on the track with racers and have had great success with it staying in place. I have not tried installing mine yet so I am not sure what kind of fit mine has. I will try it on tonight and let you know if the fit seems to be any better than what Trout describes. I wanted something to keep the big stuff out of my air box and keep from cleaning the air filter so often and this appeared to be a great alternative for $20 bucks. I was also thinking I could use my HRC lid but remove the part that curves down behind the filter (to allow more air flow to the filter). That way if the lid would go down over the outerwear it would help hold it in place. I'll check it out some more tonight. Later Scott

Ball
06-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Do you still oil your filter as usual when you use the Outerwares Pre-filter on the filter?

trout
06-21-2004, 10:46 AM
UPDATE

Well I wnet to Walden CO. to ride the snad this weekend. I installed the Outerwear over the airbaox where the led used to be. With a little fiddling it work just fine. Rejetted to a 160, and rode all weekend. It worked fine and never came off. IM at 8000 ft in Walden so my jetting may seem a little lean, but the spark plug was nearly brown, so should be right on, ill goto 170 main jet here in town at about 6000ft.

Id say the product is good and stayes in place
'
Trout

snow4fun
06-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Trout,

I was beginning to wonder if they sold you the wrong one because before I read your most recent post I went out and tried mine on and it was an extemely snug fit. I really had to work at it to get it over the box. Did you leave your clips that hold the lid on the air box? I went ahead and just folded mine into the airbox and then installed this Outerwear over the top. Once again the fit is very snug and I don't see it coming off. I think especially where it is rated "water resistant" it will keep 99% of the dirt, sand, etc out and keep me from cleaning the air filter as often.

To Ball, I would never run an air filter with no oil on it - just in case. This outerwear claims to keep debris .005" or larger out but I think oiling the air cleaner is mandatory. At least in my way of thinking. Here are a few pics of what it looks like with it installed.

Outerwear 1 (http://home.earthlink.net/~fullthrottlescott/images/Outerwear%201a.jpg) &
Outerwear 2 (http://home.earthlink.net/~fullthrottlescott/images/Outerwear%202a.jpg)

Just in case you can't make out the part number for this, it is: 20-2095-01 and I got it from NAC's racing for about $20.00 plus shipping.

Enjoy Scott

redrider37
06-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Big-Z I got a k&n from rocky mountain with the outerwear.You had to cut a hole in it for the bracket and the outerwear doesn't fit completely over the filter.I think it is a 400ex outerwear because the r filter is bigger.I will wait a little while and order another to see if they are any different.My buddy ordered his outerwear for a r too and it doesnt fit completely either.

ZRider400
06-21-2004, 08:21 PM
How does it mount to the airbox.......by velcro? thats how my 250r one was.

Looks like im gunna get one of those.

mephyst
06-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by redrider37
Big-Z I got a k&n from rocky mountain with the outerwear.You had to cut a hole in it for the bracket and the outerwear doesn't fit completely over the filter.I think it is a 400ex outerwear because the r filter is bigger.I will wait a little while and order another to see if they are any different.My buddy ordered his outerwear for a r too and it doesnt fit completely either.

That bracket is really stupid. K&N should have done away with the whole bracket thing so you don't run into these kind of problems, like having to cut a hole in your outerwear to make it fit..

trout
06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Yep that is the one I have.

It is fine, I got it figured out and it isnt comming off for nothing!

Trout

garett
06-22-2004, 07:32 PM
i bought one for my 400 from ems racing? it was a stock lid cut out with a billit bracked holding the outerwear i loved it was sweet i need one now for my 450. it was the stock lid cut out so it snapped on nice

garett
06-22-2004, 07:40 PM
im sorry its ehs racing look at these lids they are well worth it

kbass24emtp
06-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Snow4fun, did you get it to fit over your HRC lid?

snow4fun
06-25-2004, 06:33 AM
kbass,

I actually didn't even try it over the HRC lid. I was only going to mess with that if I thought it wouldn't stay on by itself. The fit was so tight that I really don't think it will come off and I like the idea of getting the benefit of extra air without getting the sand and dirt. I could try to put it over the HRC lid as a test if you want?? Let me know. Scott

kbass24emtp
07-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Sorry for the long delay in my responce. If you could I would really like to know if it will fit over the HRC lid.

trout
07-13-2004, 08:01 AM
It WILL FIT over the lid if you want it to.
Trout

kbass24emtp
07-13-2004, 08:11 AM
thanks !!!

REDARMYRACER
07-14-2004, 08:21 PM
try the esr intake it looks good, comes with a big ***** k&n filter (which i tink was for a 250r origanally), outer wear and a billet intake boot.

07-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Ball
Do you still oil your filter as usual when you use the Outerwares Pre-filter on the filter? HEL YEA!!!!

red2004 TRX450R
09-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by trout
It WILL FIT over the lid if you want it to.
Trout

Hay Trout or any one!

what you are saying is that the cover will fit over the box with the stock/HRC lid on the box???!!

has any one done this ??

kbass24emtp
09-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Yes, the cover will fit over the HRC lid.