PDA

View Full Version : YFZ vs. TRX

Freestylemxr
06-17-2004, 12:36 PM
I am looking into buying a 450 and was wondering which quad has beter overall performance, such as shocks, a-arms, etc. And also which quad is beter engine wise.

Pappy
06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
if you like a 250r then you will like the yfz....if you like the 400ex , you will like the 450r. both are pretty close and each can be your almost perfect quad:eek2:

daddio
06-17-2004, 01:20 PM
I agree with pappy :D :D :D

WOracing
06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
to add with pappy....if your going to do mx most of the time, go with the yfz. if you plan on doing everything i would go with the 450r. or you could just buy what one you like more and set it up for how you ride.....just some suggestions:)

Kennethyfz450
06-17-2004, 06:38 PM
i do not agree from pappy. i came from a 400ex and when i rode both the 450s i liked the yfz better..

yfz
first it sits low, front end stays down, handles good. great motor easily moded..

If you like the raptor you will like the honda 450r they both come up easy they both are tippy and sit up to tall.. and its kick start wtf???? if you want to spend 5699.00 on something you gotta kick more power to you.

if honda made the yfz it would be the best bike on earth but since yamaha made it..... .. .. . .. . :rolleyes:

dont get me wrong i like the 450r and i am a honda man but the advantage of the yfz is there and its very noticable... i would go for the yfz..

so far i have piped, cam and jetted mine and it screams... I am happy.. also if you get the 05 you dont have to worry about the seat becasue it supposed to be softer..

Pappy
06-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
i do not agree from pappy.

what:eek: you cant do that its against the rules:blah:

#1speedbump
06-18-2004, 12:27 AM
I must have gotten a rare 450r because mine is not at all tippy( body english) nor do I have many problems with the front end coming up to easily. And the height issue is easily cured with a little adjusting. Really the kickstart is just plain easy, if you cant kick it over you shouldnt ride it. I chose the 450r over the YFZ because of my personal comfort. I felt cramped on the Yammi, not good because I ride dunes and am out for hours, also the price was an issue. The only knocks I have heard has to do with the YFZ's charging system. Havent heard much on the Honda. Try to find a dealer who sales both and then go do a comparison

Kennethyfz450
06-18-2004, 07:27 AM
sorry pappy forgive me:p :D

honestly when i get on a honda 450 i think of the raptor..

yeah the yfz is a little cramped i have hit my knees on the handle bars a few times... but when i bend these handle bars i will just get a different bend, and when i break down and get some nerfs i will just get ac pro pegs that lower down one inch then it should be perfect. :D

daddio
06-18-2004, 12:11 PM
yeah the yfz is a little cramped i have hit my knees on the handle bars a few times... but when i bend these handle bars i will just get a different bend, and when i break down and get some nerfs i will just get ac pro pegs that lower down one inch then it should be perfect. :D
I forgot about that. I put pro pegs on my yfz right away, so I didn't ride it much stock. It's real comfortable now and I'm 6'1" tall.

red2004 TRX450R
06-18-2004, 02:01 PM
http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX450R.html

PEPwalshZ440
06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
if ur gonna keep it stock and a few mods go with the YFZ, if ur gonna full out race mod them, get the 450r.
Mike

daddio
06-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX450R.html
if those numbers are true, how come I can pull any honda on a straight, and I'm about 100 lbs heavier and less of a rider?

root
06-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by daddio
if those numbers are true, how come I can pull any honda on a straight, and I'm about 100 lbs heavier and less of a rider?

Maybe you're helmet is more aerodynamic than the honda riders you raced.

jb500ex
06-18-2004, 04:00 PM
it's the same as me saying evertime i was next too a yfz on the track i would pull them, including my brothers piped one when i was stock. i think they are so close whoever is a better rider will win.

mjtwvc
06-18-2004, 09:13 PM
no one mentioned that if you enjoy burning the crappp! out of your leg on top of banging the sh** out of your knees go with the yfz ;)

LostCause439
06-19-2004, 06:05 PM
never had that problem with the burning, but than again i dont dress like a wigger when i ride

Out_Sider
06-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by LostCause439
never had that problem with the burning, but than again i dont dress like a wigger when i ride

that was an idiotic come back...theres no need in getting racist about. :grr:

cliq20
06-19-2004, 09:23 PM
i do not agree from pappy. i came from a 400ex and when i rode both the 450s i liked the yfz better..

yfz
first it sits low, front end stays down, handles good. great motor easily moded..

If you like the raptor you will like the honda 450r they both come up easy they both are tippy and sit up to tall.. and its kick start wtf???? if you want to spend 5699.00 on something you gotta kick more power to you.

if honda made the yfz it would be the best bike on earth but since yamaha made it..... .. .. . .. . :rolleyes:

dont get me wrong i like the 450r and i am a honda man but the advantage of the yfz is there and its very noticable... i would go for the yfz..

so far i have piped, cam and jetted mine and it screams... I am happy.. also if you get the 05 you dont have to worry about the seat becasue it supposed to be softer..

i agree. i'm very impressed with both though. i've never been a kickstart fan and the center of gravity on the yfz is excellent.

but no need to be even borderline racist...there are better ways to express opinions...

batgeek
06-19-2004, 10:13 PM
it's not racist if a white guy calls another white guy a wigger, just like if a black guy calls another black guy a <n-word>.

;) :blah:

SRH
06-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by mjtwvc
no one mentioned that if you enjoy burning the crappp! out of your leg on top of banging the sh** out of your knees go with the yfz ;)

nah i wear no fear tank fmx pants havent burned them, anyone else suprised at the difference in the dia of a r and yfz pipe?

Aussiequadrider
06-20-2004, 05:31 AM

If you don't wear your skirt it wont happen.

Geoff.

Scottie Mac
06-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Aussiequadrider

Geoff.

:D

Scott

daddio
06-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
it's the same as me saying evertime i was next too a yfz on the track i would pull them, including my brothers piped one when i was stock. i think they are so close whoever is a better rider will win.
I don't think I'm a better rider than they were. one guy was a pro and the others were "a" riders. way better than I am. and they all came over after after the moto to see what I did to my yfz to make it pull so much harder than their trx. they couldn't believe they couldn't pull a fat guy an a yamaha. mabey it's the sparks pipe.
I cut my fenders like Kory Ellis to clear my knees (I'm 6') and I use "header wrap" on the pipe where I cut too much rear fender away for the kick start.
bottom line is do ya like honda's or yamaha's? we have been running yamaha's for years (banshee and blaster) and are sponsered by a yamaha dealer, so we chose yamaha.
Honda's are good also, and I can't wait to see what suzuki brings to the table.

mjtwvc
06-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Aussiequadrider

Geoff.
I'll have to take your word for that :eek2:
i my self like to wear shorts when ever possible and it just isnt on the y. the trx on the other hand has never even came close only time i notice the heat is when the fan was on which almost never happens. it must just run a little hotter trying to run along my HONDA:D
but hey if you yfz owners like wearing your dresses and it keeps you from banging your knees on the handle bars and roasting your leg to the point of cajun style then by god wear your dresses
but please dont go commando . :(

Scottie Mac
06-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I'll have to take your word for that :eek2:
i my self like to wear shorts when ever possible and it just isnt on the y. the trx on the other hand has never even came close only time i notice the heat is when the fan was on which almost never happens. it must just run a little hotter trying to run along my HONDA:D
but hey if you yfz owners like wearing your dresses and it keeps you from banging your knees on the handle bars and roasting your leg to the point of cajun style then by god wear your dresses
but please dont go commando . :(

Man, you are soooooo funny. I mean with skills like this, you should sell your quad and go on the dumb comedy tour. Really, you are good!

:huh

Scott

Woody_YFZ
06-22-2004, 11:58 PM
I own both of them and I lean towards the Yamaha for various reasons. It is faster. My brother and I (he is 70 lbs. heavier than I) raced the stock YFZ and the stock TRX head to head about ten times taking turns on each machine and the YFZ won every time. He would beat me by 1/2 to 1 bike length and I would beat him by 3 - 5 bike lengths, not once did the TRX win, however that is close enough that it really doesn't matter, especially since nobody keeps them stock. My reasoning for liking the YFZ better is because it simply handles better. It corners better, has a stiffer stance and the suspension has more adjustment on it. The Honda feels better in slower conditions and does fine on smaller jumps, but when you start jumping 50' or so the YFZ feels much better, it doesn't tend to bottom out on me. The YFZ also feels better ergonomically when jumping. The TRX does have a little lighter front end. The TRX also reminded me a lot of my Raptor in the sand. It doesn't like to turn as well as the YFZ, I'm guessing that is because of the lighter front end, but not sure. I did find that if I lean forward it does help. I also rent these machines out and I always ask my renters opinions. I have only had one person come back and prefer the TRX. He was about 6'3" and a trail type rider who was not as agressive. He felt it was more comfortable, but of course did not care for the kick start. Every other person has preferred the YFZ for various reasons. Some have complained about the small feel of it, but felt it out performed the TRX and they could live with the smaller feel. Hope this helps. In conclusion, I think either bike will fit the bill, there is certainly no good reason to argue over what is best, they are both excellent bikes, if you like Honda and don't want to change or vice versa, you won't be disappointed.

Freestylemxr
06-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks all of that helped a lot

Jonas
06-23-2004, 09:21 PM
This "I gotta have electric start" talk from men is funny. I think you all should own a purse as well.

raptor_02
06-24-2004, 10:38 AM
i'd like to see a race between the two if the TRX had titanium valves, FCR Carb, CRF cam, and a 13/1 piston and the YFZ had 13/1 piston and retarded exhaust cam and equip both with full sparks exhaust systems. I bet it that Honda would be just as fast as the yamaha then. But look at what all you have to do to the Honda motor and how much it will cost to put it on par with the yamaha which basically is just getting a piston upgrade (cam mod cost $0). In modified trim they are about equal just like the motorcycles. You know the Honda is just as powerful when modified cause look at how many holeshots Tim Farr has pulled this season. And there are only like 3 or 4 guys riding the Honda and Gust on a Suzuki and the rest on YFZ's. Farr against 15 or 16 YFZ's and has beat all of them several times on the holeshot. The bottom line is it is cheaper to make the YFZ faster and the YFZ already handles better. So that's why I made a switch to the yamaha and I am glad i did.

310Rduner
06-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
if you like a 250r then you will like the yfz....if you like the 400ex , you will like the 450r. both are pretty close and each can be your almost perfect quad:eek2:

This is soo true lol. It kind of irritates me that honda is calling their 450 the 450"r". To me it isn't as deserving of the "R" as the yfz is. To me when I sit on the yfz it feels like I'm on my R. The ergo's are almost exactly the same, with the main difference being in the seat (250R seat being 10x more comfortable, but the yfz seat better race designed). They handle about the same, they both accelerate like mad, about the same sized. My R is still lower, weighs less, and has a lower center of gravity than the yfz but its DAMNED close. The power feels alot like my R, it comes on "kinda" the same, my R just yanks your arms off 10x harder but the yfz still moves. When I look at/ride the 450R/ex it just sits so tall. To me the power was kind of more "blah" like on a 400ex.. no explosion of power; just real smooth like a trail rider would appreciate. If you don't race and you complain about the kickstarter, you need to stop being a puss. I can only understand the complaint from racers, since if they stall it would be a couple seconds faster to hit the e-start than slip out the kicker. It just seems like honda still hasn't found their balls yet for designing quads since the lawsuits.

Kenneth, you liked the 400ex, but really like the yfz more... I think you just never rode a 250R. It's everything the yfz is, but faster, lighter, and even better handling.;)

daddio
06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
250R'S are a great quad, no doubt. there never has been another 2-stroke quad even close. but try to go to your local honda shop and buy a new one.
good used ones are harder and harder to find. they are getting wore out. of course you can build one with aftermarket parts, but you will have 10 grand into it easy, if not more.
the yfz is the closest thing to a brand new 250r you can get.
shave off 22 lbs and your the same weight as a 250r.

Scottie Mac
06-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

Kenneth, you liked the 400ex, but really like the yfz more... I think you just never rode a 250R. It's everything the yfz is, but faster, lighter, and even better handling.;)

No offence, but a stock 250R can't hold a candle to a stock YFZ. It may be lighter, but it doesn't handle as good, it is slower and doens't accelerate as fast. Now if you want to talk modded vs modded, then it is a totally different comparison. The 250R was a great ATV, but the aftermarket made it the "greatest of all time".

Scott

310Rduner
06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
No offence, but a stock 250R can't hold a candle to a stock YFZ. It may be lighter, but it doesn't handle as good, it is slower and doens't accelerate as fast. Now if you want to talk modded vs modded, then it is a totally different comparison. The 250R was a great ATV, but the aftermarket made it the "greatest of all time".

Scott

Yeah, I don't mean to say stock is that quick. The stock v stock handling is still all there, but not the power. I would say 265R versus the yfz would be fair, just to follow the ama rules as an example. It's mostly about the 250R "Platform" being the best ever... as far as the geometry of the bike, the design and implemention of the motor. You just look around at all of the design for the new 4 strokes, and all you see are ideas based around setting it up like a built R.

SRH
06-24-2004, 04:53 PM
yfz #1 then 250r, then 450r, then kfx/z

PEPwalshZ440
06-24-2004, 06:50 PM
both quads race modded for MX....the 250r will definetly handle better and once u put a 350PV motor in that R....will work reall amazing

Pappy
06-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
This "I gotta have electric start" talk from men is funny. I think you all should own a purse as well.

well maybe for mx the E button isnt as important.....but for the rest of use 300,000 or so sport riders its a damn nice feature.

as far as the purse comment....something tells me you like to flex in the mirror to assure yourself your manly:eek2:

SRH
06-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
both quads race modded for MX....the 250r will definetly handle better and once u put a 350PV motor in that R....will work reall amazing

no it wont the yfz rear suspension is the best out there hands down, the yfz has a totally better front end..except for the bump steer..... yeah 350 pv will be fast but how much $$ is that? so much cash needs to be dumped in a r to make it competitive with a yfz that its not even worth it anymore, not saying the r cant be as good, it can be just as competitive, but its not worth it nless u just love rs

Pappy
06-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by SRH
no it wont the yfz rear suspension is the best out there hands down,

id disagree with your statement. the YFZ has a major kicking problem.(not like the honda is any better trx450r)

and yes....a stock 250r will have its *** handed to it with equal riders when run against a YFZ.

310Rduner
06-25-2004, 01:22 AM
That's why you run a cr500 link, pffft:rolleyes: Tell me the yfz has a better linkage than the cr500 setup with axis and I'll laugh in your face. Fully raced out, a 250R is better than a yfz. FULLY RACED OUT. The 250R will have the same level of power, and will come on the same, just harder. It's just going to weigh much less, and the design of it with aftermarket parts exceeds anything the yfz could reach.Stock versus stock, **** yeah the yfz is faster. Modded versus modded...;) You just don't compare 4 strokes to modded 2 strokes.. it just doesn't work. And don't tell me a full raced out yfz would be much cheaper, only thing you wouldn't be putting on the yfz would be an aftermarket frame basically.

Chef
06-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by daddio

shave off 22 lbs and your the same weight as a 250r.

22 lbs?? The R's must have gained weight. :huh

Kennethyfz450
06-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
This is soo true lol. It kind of irritates me that honda is calling their 450 the 450"r". To me it isn't as deserving of the "R" as the yfz is. To me when I sit on the yfz it feels like I'm on my R. The ergo's are almost exactly the same, with the main difference being in the seat (250R seat being 10x more comfortable, but the yfz seat better race designed). They handle about the same, they both accelerate like mad, about the same sized. My R is still lower, weighs less, and has a lower center of gravity than the yfz but its DAMNED close. The power feels alot like my R, it comes on "kinda" the same, my R just yanks your arms off 10x harder but the yfz still moves. When I look at/ride the 450R/ex it just sits so tall. To me the power was kind of more "blah" like on a 400ex.. no explosion of power; just real smooth like a trail rider would appreciate. If you don't race and you complain about the kickstarter, you need to stop being a puss. I can only understand the complaint from racers, since if they stall it would be a couple seconds faster to hit the e-start than slip out the kicker. It just seems like honda still hasn't found their balls yet for designing quads since the lawsuits.

I never ever rode a r likes yours before but i rode a few around the house that had a pipe and stuff on it and it got the get up and go feel to it.. as of better handling i couldnt tel you it still had stock shocks on :confused: ....... and you can only guess what they feel like...

i think its funny how you think honda should not have put the r in 450r.... cause the same people who own those 250rs said the same thing !!

daddio
06-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Chef
22 lbs?? The R's must have gained weight. :huh
the "claimed dry weight of a 250r is 328 lbs. the yfz is 350 lbs. this must be close because my brother-in-laws 250r weighed 340 with 1/2 tank of gas, oil and coolant, but stripped of lights and the extra crap. we have not brought the yfz down yet to weigh it in full race trim. but it's way lighter than my banshee, so I didn't really care.

Chef
06-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Go to a dealer and weigh a stock YFZ. You could be surprised at how far off 350 is.

Scottie Mac
06-27-2004, 10:23 AM
As for the 250r vs YFZ talk. I had one of Joe Byrd's 265Rs and it was very nice, powerful, and handled extrememly well. In my opinion, my YFZ set up for MX handles just as good. The R's front end turns a little sharper, but the YFZs "feels" just as good on the track.

Powerwise, a fully built 265R with powervalve is a match for a fully set up 450 motor, no more, no less. It just takes A LOT more skill to make the R go fast around the track. If you get a chance to go to one of the Nationals, watch the A, B, and C classes in 265. Even though riders win races, motors pull holeshots, and MOST of the time, the 4 strokes are in the early lead.

Now, if you are going to compare and 310, 350 or even bigger R to a stoke stroke 450, yeah, the 2 stroke SHOULD be faster. Lets compare apples to apples here folks.

One more thing, the rear linkages. The CR500 link and the YFZ450 rear link are almost identical. The YFZ link is actually the same link used on the production YZ motorcycles. I have raced my YFZ for 9 months now and have been VERY happy with its handling. Most MX Pros are running the YFZ with the stock linkage combined with aftermarket shocks. Very few are changing the rear linkage. If they don't need to upgrade, I would think it is fine set up.

Scott

310Rduner
06-27-2004, 03:33 PM
I would be far from the last one to admit that I'm pretty eager to have a yfz actually. It's such a sexy idea to me to have my "little" 2 stroke baby in essentially a 4 stroke motor, and 2004 components (not dealing with age at all) cause buying stuff brand new rocks:D I don't like lazy powerbanded 4 strokes like the trx really. As soon as I hear the word "smooth" to describe a 4 stroke powerband I read "blah and boring"; whereas the yfz rides like a 2 stroke with 4 stroke conveniences.

I'm not against the yfz in anyway... I'm actually in love with that little b*tch almost for the same reasons I am with my R. The yfz just isn't the "status quo" like the R is. I could nutride on yamaha all day for making the yfz like they did, it just irritates me when people go to say it is better than the R. It truly isn't, I just think its the first bike to reach the bar that the R has set. Even today it's the freaking STANDARD by which all bikes are judged. The R is just about perfect in every way it was designed/built, it's design is the very influence over the yfz today. I don't defend the 250R just because it's the bike I own, I defend it really cause it is freaking God and Jesus to the atv world, and its what every bikes owes itself to.

Scottie Mac
06-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Ok, I want to make a few points about the YFZ and the original R. As far as frame geometry goes, they couldn't be much different. Where the R style frames use quite a bit of rate in the front, the YFZ uses hardly any. The peg position, seat position, seat to bar position, rear link, and subframe are totally different. The R frame's design is great, but just because it was the standard of years past does not mean that all other quads made after have "based" there design on it. If you put a R frame, stock or aftermarket, next to a YFZ frame they share nothing in common other than they both use four wheels. If you are going to say the YFZ owes its "being" to the R, then the R owes its to the LT250. Totally different, but the Zuki came first.

Not to say one is better than the other, but one thing that most MX guys have had to do over the years is tweak the R's geometry to make it handle right. Most racers who use an R based frame for anything, either 2 stroke or four stroke, will change to a +1 forward a arms set up to get more force on the rear wheels. They will also change to a no link or CR500 link set up in the rear. The aftermarket has taken a design that was very nice and made it better. On the YFZ, you don't have to change much. Widen it up, front and rear, and go. No +1 forward, no differnt links (at least for MX). Again, very different, but both fine designs.

I am not going to get into this is better than that, etc. It is just going to start a pissing contest. Ford vs chevy. Each are awesome designs, just use take different pathes to get there.

Scott

killer03_300ex
06-27-2004, 10:12 PM
dont care saw a 330r lose to a stock 450r and stock yzf but then the yz426f bike just blew everyone away on a wheelie

Roostin250R
06-28-2004, 05:00 AM
I have to agree with you there 310duner, I personally don't like a smooth power delivery, while very easy to ride it is very boring to me. I'm sure for racing this would be much prefered, but I don't race anymore. Heck, the whole reason I ride 2 strokes is for the fun factor and sheer exceleration when I wick that throttle wide open. That YFZ is very tempting to me because it delivers the power more 2 stroke like the way I like it. Hell, if ya dont get a rush from it, why do it?? :p I'll never part with my 250R, but I do see a YFZ in my future :D

Scottie Mac
06-28-2004, 07:35 AM
The power delivery of the YFZ is different than any other 4 stroke out there. Not as peaky as a 2 stroke, but not as smooth as the 450 Hondas. But, when you add an exhaust and let the motor breath, it adds a lot of bottom and really makes the motor hit all over. Still not as smooth as a TRX or even a CRF, but not the light switch it can be in stock form. I agree with 310R about the fun factor. I had a YZ426 hybrid before I got my YFZ and loved the way the motor came on. I have a buddy who prefers the smooth delivery of the TRX. Different strokes for different folks.

Scott