PDA

View Full Version : UNI Filter for 450R Warning!!

Z-135
06-17-2004, 12:32 PM
I got a UNI filter for my 450r and it came off. The one they sent me was for a 400ex. I called UNI and they said they are the same and it would be ok to use it. Well I called them back and told them that it had fallen off they told me they would take care of any damage. I took the carb apart to see if there was any dirt inside and I found a little. It looks like it did suck in some dust! UNI is going to take care of any damage but how will I no if there has been any damage? I no if will start to smoke but that may take some time. Can I check the compression? Any HELP would be GREAT!! Thanks!!!

CdaleXtreme
06-17-2004, 12:47 PM
There wont be any damage at all really. if you found a small amount of dust in there. ABout the only thing that could happen is your carb clogging up a bit. take it to your honda shop tell them you want your carb cleaned out. and they will charge you $30 or so ...Just for piece of mind since its free. Make sure you get a reciept. SO Uni Will cover it.....Thats a good company covering for their mistake....Its hard to find this day and age. I may have to buy a uni after hearing about that. are you sure you had the thing on completely before tightening ..and did you overtighten?

speedfreaksguy
06-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I use Uni filters on my 450R. The package reads 400EX-450R. They fit fine and never fall off. I have two and change them once a week. Sounds like you made a mistake.

Z-135
06-17-2004, 12:56 PM
UNI is a great company I was very happy with want they told me! The filter was on properly, I have been doing it for many of years now. I did notice that K&N was selling a filter for the 450R that was the same filter for the 400ex. But now that are saying not to use that filter that fits the 400ex on the 450R because that are different.

ZRider400
06-17-2004, 08:03 PM
maybe you had a little bit of filter oil on the part where it clamps to the air box. that will make it fall off.......

sparky450AR
06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Z-135
UNI is a great company I was very happy with want they told me! The filter was on properly, I have been doing it for many of years now. I did notice that K&N was selling a filter for the 450R that was the same filter for the 400ex. But now that are saying not to use that filter that fits the 400ex on the 450R because that are different.

Thats because they want people buying new K&N's, instead of taking old ones off there 400ex, or extras. Thats also how they advertise gas caps, tires/wheels, bumpers, ect. So you buy more, instead of switching over.

BIGBLOCKBILL
06-17-2004, 10:30 PM
The filters are slightly different. The 400EX has a larger intake adapter(1/8 inch). When you tighten it down it deforms causing it not to clamp properly. It may stay on forever or fall off while your reinstalling the airbox lid. If you don't believe me wiggle your filter and see how easily it comes loose. The only one I've found that fits well is the Pro Design. I've tried Uni and WB with poor success.:)

sparky450AR
06-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by BIGBLOCKBILL
The filters are slightly different. The 400EX has a larger intake adapter(1/8 inch). When you tighten it down it deforms causing it not to clamp properly. It may stay on forever or fall off while your reinstalling the airbox lid. If you don't believe me wiggle your filter and see how easily it comes loose. The only one I've found that fits well is the Pro Design. I've tried Uni and WB with poor success.:)

your right, because i put one on tonight, and the lid wouldnt go on right.....you can get it on, but it pushed down on the filter.

BIGBLOCKBILL
06-17-2004, 10:40 PM
What kind of filter where you trying? Mine weren't hitting the lid just falling off before I could get it back on.:)

sparky450AR
06-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by BIGBLOCKBILL
What kind of filter where you trying? Mine weren't hitting the lid just falling off before I could get it back on.:)

a UNI, it stays on very tight, but its too big in diameter, im still using it.

1fastR
06-18-2004, 07:12 AM
if you want the carb cleaned at a honda shop it will cost more that $30 bucks, my local shop is $135 plus parts, like a can of carb cleaner, and sales tax, its a rip off:grr:

ZRider400
06-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 1fastR
if you want the carb cleaned at a honda shop it will cost more that $30 bucks, my local shop is $135 plus parts, like a can of carb cleaner, and sales tax, its a rip off:grr:

just clean it yourself.....its easy:o

ProConcept
06-18-2004, 01:18 PM
You guys saying the 450R filter from UNI doesn't fit?

sparky450AR
06-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ProConcept
You guys saying the 450R filter from UNI doesn't fit?

No, it will work fine. Its just a little too big in diameter, and the lid slightly touches it. No biggy.

06-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
No, it will work fine. Its just a little too big in diameter, and the lid slightly touches it. No biggy. maybe and hopefully they will change the desing pretty soon because thats what im ordering...

snow4fun
06-21-2004, 09:02 AM
I am running a UNI filter with the HRC lid and don't remember any problems on installing it. I guess I need to see if its still attached because I can't remember feeling any resistance or having it seem like it was hitting the airbox lid. With my luck it probably fell off. I will check it out tonight as I ordered the Outerwear Air box lid replacement, (All Outerwear material with an elastic band stitched in to hold it to the top of the air box.) and need to check on that for Trout anyway. Later Scott

snow4fun
06-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Check it out here are some pics of this Outerwear installed over the top of the stock air box with a UNI Filter under it. I can see no problems with the fit of my UNI Filter and it was marked to fit either the 400 or 450R. I have had the problem you guys have been talking about on 86 ATC 250R 3 wheeler with a K&N that is 10 years old and I have to be really careful not to overtighten it or it seems to want to come off, but with the ring that comes with the UNI that goes inside the neck of where the filter connects and keeps you from overtightening, yet still allowing you to get it good and tight, it doesn't seem to want to come off. I grabbed the UNI and moved it around and it stayed in place. Anyway here are some pics of the Outerwear Airbox cover that I just put on and it was an extremely tight fit. I don't see it coming off. Also it states it is Water Resistant (Not waterproof) so for my application of riding 99% of the time in the sand dunes it should work perfect. I got this from NACS's racing and part number is: 20-2095-01

Outerwear 1 (http://home.earthlink.net/~fullthrottlescott/images/Outerwear%201a.jpg) &
Outerwear 2 (http://home.earthlink.net/~fullthrottlescott/images/Outerwear%202a.jpg)

Enjoy Scott