PDA

View Full Version : Cold blooded 400ex

400exstud
06-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I got my 400ex about a half a year ago, right before winter. Now that it is nicer out I am putting more miles on. My problem is that if i leave it for like a week or more and fire it up it is a cold blooded b*tch. It will spitter, sputter, and backfire until its warm. After its warm there is no problem. Does anyone know why it does this.

06-17-2004, 12:20 PM
It's a very common problem. Go up 1 size on the pilot jet and it will help with starting. Also if you use the choke your just making it worse..

400exstud
06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks alot. I usually only use the choke for the initial fire-up. Then I turn it off right away.

hondarider2006
06-17-2004, 02:43 PM
I used to have the same cold-startin blues as you did, so I decided to remove my choke, and installed a 42 pilot and went 2(might be more for you) turns out on the air/mixture screw. Now I just pump the gas a few times and she fires right up and idels just fine. Even at -20 F it will start, a little harder than in the summer, but still not that much of a hassel. Try doing that, it will start much easier from than on;)