PDA

View Full Version : rear shock should be a recall

exrider44
06-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Do any of you think they will recall the R for the back shock being so bad. It bucks you way to much thru whoops. The backend just gets way out of control. I just think it sucks spending 6g's and I have to get the rear shock fixed so it doesnt do this. :blah:

TRX450R2
06-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I have wound the spring off and adjusted the bottom damping screw to 1 turn back from softest and it is much better! How much do you weigh?

kazpr
06-17-2004, 03:19 PM
That is about what I did I weigh 220 and I got beat to death this past weekend @ the dunes!

chris450R
06-17-2004, 03:43 PM
i don't think that they will. i mean it isn't that bad. are you leaning back when going into the whoops, because i haven't ahd anyplems with it kicking. i don't know, i mean it seems pretty good top me, and i will probably get it rebuilt soon to work even better. i have my shocks set with the springs all the way up with 2 or 3 threads showing and compression and rebound on high then came off half turn on front and whole on rear and it does great on the track for me. also i weigh about 215.

06-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
Do any of you think they will recall the R for the back shock being so bad. It bucks you way to much thru whoops. The backend just gets way out of control. I just think it sucks spending 6g's and I have to get the rear shock fixed so it doesnt do this. :blah:

Stay on the gas you won't have that problem.

exrider44
06-17-2004, 07:19 PM
I weight about 160 and I do stay on the gas. A friend of mine set up my shocks the fronts feel good the back does get squirrely sometimes. I just dont want to waste money getting the stock rebuilt I think if Im gonna have to spend cash I might as well get axis. Its just annoying cause I wanted exhaust but I have to fix the rear first. My old 400 didnt get loose as easily as this. I ride down south jersey I mean theres alot of whoops and you cant go slow you have to hammer so when the bike starts losing control it kinda stinks. I jumped on my friends 250r with the lager protrax now that was nice. I went thru the whoops fifth no problem while he lost contol and took out a small tree on my 450 lol. :p I just see how people are sending the shock out to get revalved and use the gt thunder linkage. It would be nice if it didnt have to be sent out thats all Im saying. But I guess we are all freaks we wont stop until these bikes are looking and riding perfect no matter how much cash we have to spend! The ones who die with the most toys wins!!!!

Scottie Mac
06-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Its more than just the shock, it is the angle and the link that Honda decided to use that is causing your problem. There have been a few reports that they may update the entire rear linkage set up, but I doubt it will be this year. As already mentioned, you can back off of the preload and work a little with the shock adjustments and possibly make a difference for the better.

You may also want to look into the linkage kits that Elka, GT Thunder and PEP are working on. Call Laz at GT Thunder, he is a very smart guy and may be able to give you some pointers.

Good luck,
Scott

chris450R
06-18-2004, 12:54 AM
exrider44,
that is the thing about getting the rear shock rebuilt so you don't waste money. it is a whole lot cheaper to gt it rebuilt and get some new linkage than to buy an $800-1000 shock. especially when it only cost like $350 to get the rear shock rebuilt and it work just as good!

ZRider400
06-18-2004, 08:08 AM
get the GT setup.....250 for revalve, linkage, linkage bearings.....

LT250Racer609
06-18-2004, 10:33 AM
adjust the shock....if its too stiff and you havent touched it yet you prolly should before depending on a recall...i have adjusted mine about 20 times before i got it to where i want it...now its just sweet

ZRider400
06-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
adjust the shock....if its too stiff and you havent touched it yet you prolly should before depending on a recall...i have adjusted mine about 20 times before i got it to where i want it...now its just sweet

i put my preload on softest and slowed rebound....... did you increase dampening or decrease it?

LT250Racer609
06-19-2004, 07:38 AM
first i adjusted the spring to about 3 clips down from the top....then i did the rebound like 2 and a half turns and compression 2 turns....try that

ZRider400
06-19-2004, 11:38 AM
i noticed on this when turning it towards hard....it makes the screw come out...... and turning it soft...screw goes in.

i always thought turning it in slows rebound? but then i read that turning it towards the harder setting slows it.....but on this the screw backs out when turned towards "H"

Matt102
06-19-2004, 05:03 PM
When you turn the screw towards H, it slows the rebound down. Towards the S, and the rebound gets faster.

snow4fun
06-21-2004, 08:34 AM
FYI,

Towards H or full hard should be clockwise and it should be turning it in, not OUT. The little arrows pointing towards S & H are a little hard to read. Clockwise = H, Counterclockwise = S
Later Scott