PDA

View Full Version : AC in enclosed trailers...

cody anderson
06-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Has anybody ever put air conditioning in a trailer that did not come wit it? If so, where did you get it? Do you use a generator to run it? How did you put it in?

06-16-2004, 01:20 PM
I know several people around here that have put them in there race car trailers. not sure how they did it but as far as finding one call up some local salvage yards and look for a wrecked camper or motorhome. usually the AC unit is still good on them. yes you will need a generater to run it.

AtvMxRider
06-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Just go to an RV place they sell them. They are not cheap though. You are going to have to reinforce the roof and insulate the trailer. Mine didn't come with one but I plan on getting one.

khen
06-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I installed a home window mount airconditioner in the side of my trailer. They are much cheaper for the same BTU rating and you don't have to punch a hole in your roof and risk leaks. My trailer is homemade though, and I welded the mounts for the ac in one of the cabinets. If you don't have welding equipment you could probably build the frame out of wood as well. It actually turned out pretty nice, the back of the air conditioner is recessed about 1" inside the side of the trailer. You want the back of the ac venting outside of the trailer, because it blows the heat out the back.

BTW: I run it off of a generator. It would take a big battery bank and inverter to run an ac for to long.

Berry
06-16-2004, 03:59 PM
do you have the little screen hole in the top of your trailer? if you do than go to your dealer and ask them about it, because when you do have an AC, they put it on top of that hole

06-16-2004, 04:22 PM
My AC unit is not where that screen is it is in front of it

JUSTINcredible
06-16-2004, 04:32 PM
cody, have u seen the custom AC in nicks bus?? it works good enough that it gets almost to cool in there

bulkdriverlp
06-16-2004, 09:09 PM
new ac unit for camper bout 1400 bucks, youll need a 3500watt generator to run it on high, 4-800 bucks! just punch a hole in the front of trailer go to sears buy small window unit and a smaller generator, much cheaper!j.m.o.ed

cody anderson
06-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
cody, have u seen the custom AC in nicks bus?? it works good enough that it gets almost to cool in there

Yeah, I saw it... It works pretty good, but I want it to look really nice too.

Pappy
06-17-2004, 07:32 AM
we are going to be using the self standing ac unit. it will be vented out a small door way already in the traler. they cost about $440 from walmart and work very well. we have one in one of our offices and it does a good job.

cody anderson
06-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
we are going to be using the self standing ac unit. it will be vented out a small door way already in the traler. they cost about $440 from walmart and work very well. we have one in one of our offices and it does a good job.

That sounds like a good way to go. Thanks...

cchap45
06-18-2004, 10:49 AM
cody-you can buy a portable unit from an industrial supply company or menards for ~$400. Its about 8in. deep 16in wide and 30 in high. it runs on 120v and you only need a 4in hole in the side of your trailer. the best thing is when your not at the races you can use it in your garage, it has wheels.
by the way nice job at Casey. you going to camebridge this weekend?

cody anderson
06-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks Chap! Casey felt like a long time coming for me... I had some really bad luck at Red Bud, I crashed three times there... I won't be at cambridge this weekend. But I will for sure be at Staples next weekend. You should come up to my house next week, I just put in a 90ft. double. It's pretty sweet, I had to hit it 4th gear wide open on my 450!

cchap45
06-21-2004, 07:31 AM
I might be able to swing Wednesday after work, I'll have to see how the week plays out. where did you put the double? up or down hill? I cant race next weekend, Zac has a soccer tournament, his team is undefeated this year.

cody anderson
06-24-2004, 06:17 AM
I put one big double on the bottom of the hill and another one on top of the hill. And that uphill table top is about 20ft longer and the take off is about as steep as a freestyle ramp! It's pretty fun... Next week I'm putting in a bunch of sand whoops.