PDA

View Full Version : oil rings won't go in.

3x440ex
06-16-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm installing a ross 416 piston that i got from c&d and for some reason the oil rings won't compress enough. It seems that there is a lip on the inside of the expander ring that goes in the middle. when you put the oil rings on they won't compress past that lip. i bought 2 of the ross pistons at the same time so i checked the other one and it does the same thing. Can anybody help me here? thanks in advance.

Quadzilla
06-16-2004, 08:07 AM
I'm told that these are "file fit" rings and must be filled down to size. The piston and rings come with detailed instuctions. I suggest that you RTFM. :D :eek2:

3x440ex
06-16-2004, 08:35 AM
the instructions say "for the top and second grooves are oversize and must be file fitted to abtain proper end gap"..it doesn't say anything about the oil rings.....anyways the oil rings fit down in the jug with about .005 clearence, it's the expander ring that i think is too large.

adeptex
06-16-2004, 09:29 PM
It will go, it is just tough. The Ross rings are harder to install than JE are. On my 440, I put the cylinder on the bench and put the piston and rings in with a ring compressor. There is enough room to then put the piston and cylinder on the rod. This is definately not the easiest way but works when all else fails.

3x440ex
06-17-2004, 05:39 AM
I finally got them to go in but it was a pain......I went out and bought a ring compressor. I am used to the wisco rings where you can just pinch the rings with your fingers and they slide right in.....anywho I got it back together after a few attempts and took it for a test ride last night...I only took it down a field and back just enough to get some heat in the motor..Man she rips for sure with the fcr 39 and stage 2 cam......thanks for all the help