PDA

View Full Version : 2wd dirt bikes?

Martin Blair
06-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Has anyone seen the 2-trac system by yamaha. It use hydrolic pump to drive the front wheel. But why would you want this I would think the bike would be hard to ride as the front would pull in.

06-15-2004, 11:06 PM
aret they rally slow bu go anywhere? have the big wheels on the front & back & dont look lke your typivcal motorcycle

Cody_300ex
06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
Has anyone seen the 2-trac system by yamaha. It use hydrolic pump to drive the front wheel. But why would you want this I would think the bike would be hard to ride as the front would pull in.

Yeah I saw it on Two wheel tuesday on the speed channel. Sounds kinda odd to me because if you get on the gas to hard the front wheel would spin and there goes the bike out form under ya. :confused:

LilDacktyle
06-15-2004, 11:55 PM
i read that there for really long desert rides and stuff. like the baja 500. i wouldnt get one, waste of money if you ask me.

Kennethyfz450
06-16-2004, 07:48 AM
more stuff to break.. i wouldnt like it..

i would like to ride one though..

PHIL_B54
06-16-2004, 07:50 AM
with both wheels driving, wouldnt there be more gyroscopic force making the bike more stable and controlable

Mxjunkie
06-16-2004, 08:09 AM
the front wheel driving too would feel strange, i wonder how they corner

knighttime
06-16-2004, 08:43 AM
im guessin the 2wd bikes are for extreme mud conditions

diesel-mech
06-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Yamaha came out with this design several years back. The front pump is supposed to have a slight delay (like one second or so). This is to allow you to accelerate hard without the front end pulling out from under you.The front wheel doesn't instantly start pulling. The front end also over runs so the rear tire can spin faster than the front slightly. This is so you can still ballance the bike. I guess with both wheels pulling at the same speed in mud it was almost impossible to ride so the new design has the rear wheel spinning alittle faster. It seems to work. I remember all this from an old motocross mag I read a few years back. I don't know if they have made any resent design changes.;)

MEL
06-16-2004, 07:55 PM
one competed in the paris to dakar this past year. i think it finished in the top 10 bikes, and it won one of the stages.

TORO1968
06-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Yamaha's Paris-Dakar bike was sweet! It's kinda crazy seeing a rider almost lose it in a powerslide only to watch the front tire start to pull the bike back in line! :D

IMHO, they did a really nice job on the hydrostatic drive. But yeah, other than for long distance, desert racing-type applications, something like this probably wouldn't sell too well.

Nonetheless, I bet it's a blast to ride! :)

-Jordan