PDA

View Full Version : 416 valve tap

400exRacerX
03-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey,

I just got the 416 back together and have taken it on about 3 rides after I broke it in. Everytime I start it up it has a really bad valve tap. But this valve tap only sounds like one valve is doing it. Right after it is warmed up the valve tap goes away. I check the valve clearances 3 times already and they come up perfect.

Now let me ask you this, when I changed my valve seals, is it possible to put a valve spring on upside down? Because I just put the springs back on and stupid me I didn't pay attention to the coil of the spring. All help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Norm

knighttime
03-25-2002, 02:09 PM
The springs should go in a certain way. The coils are different at each end. I forget the right way, but I know it says the correct way in the manual.

ONCE again: This is not a flame: Buy the honda manual from www.helminc.com before rebuilding your engine. This way there will be no problems at all. It's the best 50 bucks you can spend on your quad.

400exRacerX
03-25-2002, 02:12 PM
I have the honda service manuel, but skipped passed the valve assembly area of the book since I have done vales before and most valves go in either way, but I guess its different with this motor. Thanks I'll check my service manuel. And yes that was the best $45 bucks I ever spent torwards maitenence on my machine.

knighttime
03-25-2002, 02:14 PM
I put my springs in before I read about it the manual. It's not that hard to check. Just take off the top off the engine and check the springs. You would have had to be extremely lucky to put in all the valve springs correctly.

good luck

400exRacerX
03-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Well when I did the seals I took the inner and outer springs out and placed them on the bench the exact way they came out, except for one of the exhuast valves. As I was taking it out I dropped it on the bench and I must have put it back on wrong. I did one valve at a time so I didn't mix the springs up. I'll find the valve thats on wrong and fill the cylinder with 100psi of air and change the spring to the correct position. Thank again!

wyndzer
03-25-2002, 05:43 PM
The valve tapping is probably the right exhaust valve, make sure that you find TDC by turning the flywheel counter clockwise (towards the front of the bike). If you move the flywheel clockwise at all it will not let you set this valve properly, because of the safety feature on the cam. I have accidently done this before. Check it and reset the clearance.

JhallettEX
03-25-2002, 06:12 PM
When you put the springs back on, the tigher end goes to the bottom. Also the lock washer things that you have to put back in after you put the spring on needs to be seated correctly. After you take the spring compressor off give the valve a few blows with the hammer to seat them, also put some lithum grease on them also if you have some. Any questions just ask. Also make sure you are on the right stroke when you adjust your valves, Look in the extech section but I think it is the compresstion stroke.