PDA

View Full Version : For only piston and rings???

JRDrider22
06-15-2004, 02:05 PM
i took my 440ex up to a local shop about 4 1/2 weeks ago so they could find out why i lost compression and asked them to re tap my head bolts.. they didnt do anything the first 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago my pops walked in and told them they better work on it or were taking it back out. so they hooked it up, found out what was wrong and went to work. here it was my piston and rings. my piston had a crack and my rings were messed. so they ordered it last monday. they told my pops when he went in again that it was going to be in by the end of the week(last week). here today a buddy of mine calls up today and see's whats going on. here the piston is on back-order and wont be in untill the end of the week or early next week. ive missed 4 important races, now im gonna miss 5 races. whats next my sposership gonna be taking out from under me. im so pissed off its not even funny. i havent been riding in 1 1/2 months and it bothers me every day.
has anyone else had problems like this ?
thanks
Joey

toby400ex
06-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Most racers dont get their quads worked on at a dealership.;)

ExRacer02
06-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I agree with toby. I would look around for a local engine builder instead of a dealership. Next time your at a race talk to some of the pro riders many of them do engine work so they could probaly help you out. It would probaly be cheaper than what the dealer charges too. One more thing ask the dealer if they put new head bolts in it whenever they get it done because those bollts strech and expand. I always replace them when I tear my motor down and I think it helps with reliability (blowing head gaskets and other stuff)

JRDrider22
06-17-2004, 11:29 AM
yea i know but heres the thing. when i was w/ east coast i let them do it, they totally messed everything. worst ever. so i wanted a place local to do it. me and my pops knew that JRD was packed, and cycle pro was about 3 hours one way. so we figured wat the hell and gave it to them. te guy that works there is a d*** and lied to us several times over the phone. s so im sitting this one out and waiting

Stealth450r
06-18-2004, 08:20 AM
what dealership was it

dirtmomma
06-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Most racers dont get their quads worked on at a dealership.;)
DITTO should of been able to do it yourself, VERY easy to replace piston/rings we do it & EVERYTHING else all the time ,if your gonna be a racer I believe you need to know your engine, them mechanics get expensive LOL, as for sponsorship maybe if they decide to pull it it wasn't meant to be, they should be helping you w/ work?????? Well good luck sorry to hear you missed 5 races I just went thru that waiting to get my porting done (NO we don't do that ourselves.........YET ;)) but it was worth the wait :devil: :macho

TC426EX
06-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Definitely start doing your own work... I have found that most dealerships are a joke as far as service goes, and who wants to pay 60 bucks average an hour for them to do the work anyway. Invest in a Clymer manual and get in tight with some guys at the track that know whats up with motor work. I've met alot of cool people at the track during practice and race days and everyone is usually willing to help each other out. For rings and piston all you need are the parts, some gaskets, a torque wrench and a feeler guage to adjust your valves when youre done. Oh yeah, and youll want to pick up a cheap ball hone at the auto parts store to hone out your cylinder before seating your new rings in...

4wheelboy
06-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Stealth450r
what dealership was it

it was mount holly power-sports.
joey there arent any good engine builders around herar are there?:confused:

but owell ur getin to ride the 450r tonite :devil:

JRDrider22
06-25-2004, 12:26 PM
yea there isnt any good engine builders round here. yea i rode the 450 and still beat u. not bad for a kid who just turned 14 and first time riding in 2 months now is it matt?

4wheelboy
06-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22
yea there isnt any good engine builders round here. yea i rode the 450 and still beat u. not bad for a kid who just turned 14 and first time riding in 2 months now is it matt?

we were racing?:confused:

JRDrider22
06-25-2004, 12:36 PM
good excuase buddy

Toadz400
06-28-2004, 07:36 PM
You just turned 14 and you're racing a 440EX? Isn't that illegal? You have to be 16 here, especially to be sponsored by anyone...

Hammer trx450r
06-28-2004, 07:40 PM
try AC PERFORMANCE in west deptford. He does all my tranny and big motor work. Ask for Tom

JRDrider22
06-29-2004, 07:44 AM
hammer when the next time your heading out ? ill be at atco friday and chats tomorow to break in my motor

Hammer trx450r
06-29-2004, 01:04 PM
I'll be at atco wednesday night, I havent tryed a friday night yet, how busy is it?

JRDrider22
06-29-2004, 07:31 PM
yo ill be there tomorow too. look for a red and black 400ex...#22

Hammer trx450r
06-30-2004, 04:42 AM
hey JRD it looks like i might not make it tonight, if i do ill be lookin for ya;)

TRX300X
07-14-2004, 09:37 PM
4 1/2 weeks out isnt bad for a dealer this time of year. I work at one and we are almost 5-6 week out before we can get to some of the jobs. Usually a dealer will try and get the little jobs out within a week or so but if a motor needs to be torn down it's very hard to tie up a tech for 3 days on one job when there's 15 other small jobs that can be turned out durring those three days. I guess you have to look at it from a service managers point of view. Would you rather have 15 people riding your butt to get stuff out the door or 1 person.

But in all honesty if you race listen to the other guys, you should work on your own stuff. For someone that races it's hard to go a week without a quad whereas the weekend warrior guy might not mind waitin a few weeks for his quad to get back since they probly cant ride every weekend anyway.

Good luck!