PDA

View Full Version : You have to see/read this

pbell75
06-15-2004, 09:57 AM
This is taken verbatim from the Featured Letter in Letters to the Editior in the Monday June 14, 2004 Chicago Sun Times . It is in reference to a May 31 article that was largely against ATV's

ATVs aren't dangerous - people are

"Between a rock and a hard place," the May 31 article addressing the proliferation of injuries and death attributed to riding ATVs, seemingly seeks to assign most of the blame for injuries and deaths directly to the manufacturers. This is very wrong.

Whether it's ATVs, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, skateboards, scooters, cars, guns, motorcycles or a simple cup of hot coffee, the families of people who are injured or killed are taking advantage of our litigious society in pointing their collective fingers at manufactures. In reality, isn't their own carelessness and recklessness to blame? Not one of the aforementioned items dangerous until placed in the hands of people (or their unsupervised children).

I believe those injured or killed could not have cared less about personal safety because of their blatant disregard of manufacturer's explicit instructions and warning regarding safe handling and/or operation. They also disobeyed their parents' wishes. Furthermore, any laws and rules set forth by the municipalities in which these people reside are ignored.

And isn't it odd not one of the parents accepted responsibility for their ill-fated decision to allow their children to ride alone or without an adults close supervision?

Until we as a society learn to accept a modicum of personal responsibility, even toliet paper manufacturers are fair game.

- Michael A. Collins, Cary
http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-3-1087314478.jpg

pbell75
06-15-2004, 09:58 AM
I love the fact that the Sun Times used this as their featured letter and even included a picture. This speaks volumes for our sport and does a great job of defending it and getting the other side of the story out to a large audience. i am not sure of the May 31 article, I will try and track it down to see what it said.

Pappy
06-15-2004, 09:59 AM
im surprised the paper let that be printed

UglyMotha™
06-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Plain and simple, it's the truth :o

300exOH
06-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Since when does the media speak the truth? It's about time someone blames the operator and not the quads.

xr50layke
06-15-2004, 10:16 AM
sweet

ReconRider25
06-15-2004, 10:44 AM
:macho bout time they put something like that in the paper. now just to get them to do it on tv.:o

Scottie Mac
06-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
im surprised the paper let that be printed

I am totally surpirsed they printed it as well. The media generally looks to fan the fire, causing more "news" to print. To lay the blame, or at posting a letter like this, is a major step in the right direction. But, don't hold your breath guys, for every one like this, there are 5 like the one in People Magazine.

Here is what I like to do. When ever I see an article about the dangers of quads, I replace the word "ATV" or "Quad" with "loaded handgun". Then read the article again. It really puts life into perspective.

Example:

"..................... I let him play outside with the "quad" while I went inside to checked on the phone, I was shocked when I returned and my child was killed............."

Scott

400ex_drummer
06-15-2004, 02:10 PM
atleast someones on our side:macho i hate it when people bash quads like their a weapon that kills all who dare to ride one, yet they dont make anything of bikes. not bashing bikes, but they are much more dangeorus than quads in the wrong hands, just by the nature that they are in most cases faster and dont have the advantage of ballance on four wheels. for example, i crashed head on with an 80cc motorcrosser, each of us going atleast 40mph. i had full safety gear on, he didnt even have a helmet, never mind anything else, im glad that i was on the quad, all i came out with was a bent A arm, snaped steering arm, bent handlebars and a minor sprained wrist, whereas his bike was totaled, he had major bleeding from the head due to no helmet and a broken leg. this is to do with the nature of the machines, and saftey gear:macho always wear it!!! gives us a worse name if we dont!!:grr:

dirtyboy88
06-15-2004, 07:57 PM
i know , one of my friends got life-flighted to a near by hospital b/c he hit the other 4wheeler (he was on a Raptor and his friend was on a Grizzly)well he got to the hospital and almost died , he had colasped lung about 10 broken ribs and 2 broken arms!!!!

Even tho he's my friend I know it was his fault b/c he didnt wear a helmet or anything!

400ex28
06-15-2004, 10:00 PM
:D :cool:

Cody_300ex
06-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Im not tryin to bash yamaha on this in anyway but I have to disagre on this one. My buddy bought got one of the first yfzs in westeren KY. He was riding threw a creek one day in 3rd just messin around and somethin in the front end broke he went over the handlebars now he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, Now I was not there and I did not get to see the quad eathier, so dont ask me a bunch of questions about it. Also the quad had never been jumped he only had about 3 hours on it. But this is about the only execption to the Rule "Quads dont kill people, people kill people"